Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tie rod end turns real hard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to set my winter alignment on my 2018 M3. The tie rod ends are tight as ****. 14mm wrench does nothing. Used pb blaster. Tried big crescent wrench, pipe wrench, just rounds off the hex. Big vice grip got it turned 1/4 turn but I’m destroying the tie rod end. Going to see if one of my friends has a torch. Anyone have other suggestions? I’ll probably replace the inner tie rod end after all this, but the Tesla service manual only covers how to replace the whole steering rack which isn’t confidence inspiring.
D1C2ACE1-A604-4190-8E2C-4EF5D1311074.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: dsgerbc
It looks like your just not getting a good grip on the rod anymore because it's all rounded.

Take the hub side of the tie rod off. It's like a 10mm nut. Then you will have the end with a bolt and ball joint. Try turning it using the bolt and some leverage.

Reactions: superflyrolla
I’m trying to set my winter alignment on my 2018 M3. The tie rod ends are tight as ****. 14mm wrench does nothing. Used pb blaster. Tried big crescent wrench, pipe wrench, just rounds off the hex. Big vice grip got it turned 1/4 turn but I’m destroying the tie rod end. Going to see if one of my friends has a torch. Anyone have other suggestions? I’ll probably replace the inner tie rod end after all this, but the Tesla service manual only covers how to replace the whole steering rack which isn’t confidence inspiring.

I don't have any assistance to offer, but wanted to ask what you meant by winter alignment. Is it just a standard periodic adjustment, or are you setting some unique angle value? Just curious!

Reactions: Lindenwood
Thanks good suggestion. I got it set for now. Used a little torch to heat up the outer rod end and turned the inner rod with vice grips. I probably should take the whole outer end off to apply anti seize like MPP says to do with their control arms. I see Rock Auto sells just the inner end so I’ll probably need to replace that or this will continue to round off more.

Are you sure you're using the correct wrench? The jam nut shouldn't be THAT tight, especially if you are frequently changing the alignment. At least not enough that you're stripping the tie rod end.

Here's the FSM section on tie rod ends, but it's pretty standard.

Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 18.30.21.png

Are you sure you're using the correct wrench? The jam nut shouldn't be THAT tight, especially if you are frequently changing the alignment. At least not enough that you're stripping the tie rod end.

Here's the FSM section on tie rod ends, but it's pretty standard.
The jam nut is not the issue, it comes undone quite normally. Actually turning the tie-rod has been getting progressively harder for me as well.
And yes, 14mm is the correct size.

Took it all part today, replaced the inner with a Moog RockAuto part, wire brushed & anti seized. I made this post in a moment of frustration. Thanks for the suggestions and reassurance. If anyone else is going through this in the future, the inner tie rod end is a 38.4mm double flat. The rental tool from Advance Auto doesn’t work because it’s not deep enough for that big spherical head, but I was able to twist it off with channel locks. Also, the inner boot clamp is a PITA to get back on. I imagine it’s intended for single use, but the hardware store didn’t have any hose clamps that narrow. I’ll be looking for a permanent replacement.

Attachments

• AD1F7059-57A6-4779-B093-24796FF6726F.jpeg
    AD1F7059-57A6-4779-B093-24796FF6726F.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 69DED8BF-DD6D-4128-9190-9F8E4605D563.jpeg
    69DED8BF-DD6D-4128-9190-9F8E4605D563.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 72
  • FCB03F75-4515-4FAB-B4A7-DDE80065618A.jpeg
    FCB03F75-4515-4FAB-B4A7-DDE80065618A.jpeg
    433.2 KB · Views: 63
Took it all part today, replaced the inner with a Moog RockAuto part, wire brushed & anti seized. I made this post in a moment of frustration. Thanks for the suggestions and reassurance. If anyone else is going through this in the future, the inner tie rod end is a 38.4mm double flat. The rental tool from Advance Auto doesn’t work because it’s not deep enough for that big spherical head, but I was able to twist it off with channel locks. Also, the inner boot clamp is a PITA to get back on. I imagine it’s intended for single use, but the hardware store didn’t have any hose clamps that narrow. I’ll be looking for a permanent replacement.
So, what was the culprit? Seizing tie-rod end threads or maybe the ball joint in the inner tie-rod?

Funny, my last race of the season is 4 Dec and I have at least a few snowy / mountain road trips planned over the winter. Just this week I was thinking I’d set the car at max height and remove from camber… thanks for the reminder! Glad you got it sorted out.