Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seat Entrance Leather Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For newer cars it's worth noting that the design (front and rear entries) has been changed and the "corner" that was there has been cut back and rounded (my description). I don't know when the change was made but noticed it on VIN ~4800 when I was at the service center; was confirmed to me by the manager that the design had been modified at some point.

Pics or it didn't happen! :) J/K please someone though, post pics if you have a newer car.

For newer cars it's worth noting that the design (front and rear entries) has been changed and the "corner" that was there has been cut back and rounded (my description). I don't know when the change was made but noticed it on VIN ~4800 when I was at the service center; was confirmed to me by the manager that the design had been modified at some point.
That's great news! Tesla has listened to their customers once again. They seem to always have surprises up their sleeves. I'm glad I delayed the ordering of my Tesla.

I have 4787 and still have what appears to be the "old" design, or at least is close enough that I keep the seat very far forward when getting in and out.

Mine looks the same as the photo from the first post in this thread, minus the wear and tear. P05718.

photo (1).JPG

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 610
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    579.9 KB · Views: 550
I don't know if a change on the newer cars did or didn't happen, but it us clear that Tesla has not offered a solution for the many of us who already own cars and have complained about this design error. Complaints, calls, posts, and PMs have apparently fallen on deaf ears. What can we do? I HATE the idea of filing a lawsuit, I really don't want to post ugly pix of seat wear on every forum I can find, and I can't stand the idea of flooding auto forums with trash talk about Tesla, but they are being absolute jerks about this issue. I'm open to ideas.

I don't know if a change on the newer cars did or didn't happen, but it us clear that Tesla has not offered a solution for the many of us who already own cars and have complained about this design error. Complaints, calls, posts, and PMs have apparently fallen on deaf ears. What can we do? I HATE the idea of filing a lawsuit, I really don't want to post ugly pix of seat wear on every forum I can find, and I can't stand the idea of flooding auto forums with trash talk about Tesla, but they are being absolute jerks about this issue. I'm open to ideas.

Well, this clearly wasn't a hidden defect or design error.

Anybody with eyes to see would have realized that the protruding leather will see wear and tear from continues ingress and egress.

Every Models S I ever saw in a show room displayed the exact same wear.

Not sure what a lawsuit could possibly entail? Sorry your honor, I was too mesmerized by the car to notice these little details...

:)

This is not a simple redesign at all.

This is not a simple redesign at all.

Actually, looking at my car I think it could be. The offending piece looks like it could be removed and replaced with something more robust. The existing piece is covered with leather or vinyl and could be replaced with something made to look exactly the same, but constructed from hard plastic that is molded to look like the leather and stitching. Many cars, even high end cars use pieces of hard plastic at the door entrances so I don't think this would take anything away from the aesthetics of the car. I'd rather have a well done piece of hard material there rather than a torn up and ratty looking piece of leather.

@mknox - exactly my thought - I expect there will be a replacement panel offered at some point - maybe molded like the seat backs.

I would tend to agree, but what do I know. I recall the instance of someone getting the wrong color interior and they replaced the panels. Either these panels need to be redesigned to have less protrusion or made of another material at the ends. Ten just replace the pieces.

Actually, looking at my car I think it could be. The offending piece looks like it could be removed and replaced with something more robust. The existing piece is covered with leather or vinyl and could be replaced with something made to look exactly the same, but constructed from hard plastic that is molded to look like the leather and stitching. Many cars, even high end cars use pieces of hard plastic at the door entrances so I don't think this would take anything away from the aesthetics of the car. I'd rather have a well done piece of hard material there rather than a torn up and ratty looking piece of leather.

You know, I made a mistake; I thought we were discussing the FRONT.

I agree with you, the rear is easier to address.

I guess I am thinking that that would disrupt the design floor of the closed door arm rest to the b pillar.

The b pillar with the door closed is a natural extension of the door arm rest. I guess you could change the material but not the form. Even though that might look cheesy when you have nicely stitched leather in the door and then transition to non leather.

But I hear what you are saying.

I guess I am thinking that that would disrupt the design floor of the closed door arm rest to the b pillar.

The b pillar with the door closed is a natural extension of the door arm rest. I guess you could change the material but not the form. Even though that might look cheesy when you have nicely stitched leather in the door and then transition to non leather.

But I hear what you are saying.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The better solution would be to have the door arm rest taper back at the trailing end like most other cars do, but then you're replacing both the interior door panel and the B-pillar trim.