Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-seat entertainment system absolutely necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
I don't think that it's a necessary optional accessory on the Model S, but I think that it is on Model X. I'm thinking that, since they are going after the mini-van/CUV market, they're going to be marketing this thing at families.

Personally, I'd prefer that there be individual headrest screens that have wireless headsets. It would be cool if there were screes for the 3rd row passengers (making 4 screens total) All of the kid movies we have are on DVD and, although it technically violates copyright laws, I wouldn't mind ripping them. It would be great it the system could be controlled from the front touch-screen and it would allow (or the front-seat passenger) could play video files from the hard drive on each screen simultaneously or individually.

Another option is a large, fold-down screen that stows in the roof. I don't know how that will work with the falcon doors though.

What are your thoughts? RES necessary? How would the ideal system look, in your opinion?

I agree entertainment is necessary but I also agree that iPads (and Kindle Fires) are becoming so common that those can be better options.

So maybe Tesla should provide a USB port and an iPad / Kinde Fire mount with each headrest - that would be cool!

We know they can't put USB ports in the doors :).

My kids are a little young to operate an iPad without help (something that can get annoying when we're up front). It's really nice to be able to control the rear-seat entertainment thing from the front. I'm sure that they'll want iPads when they're a little older.

At the risk of sounding old-fashioned, good parenting does not strictly require providing one's children with a steady diet of dancing pixels.

Granted I do not have kids yet. But I have stated many times that my car will not have TVs in the back for kids. If they come as a standard option they are getting ripped out.

Time to play the alphabet game (a-z from signs on the side of the road).
License plate game.
or something else.

I have traumatic memories of of 500+ mile car trips. And I want my children to experience the same.

So hopefully in 6 years after my 40kWh battery is toast I can upgrade to a 180kWh or so so they can have a 500 mile slog at least once.

At the risk of sounding old-fashioned, good parenting does not strictly require providing one's children with a steady diet of dancing pixels.

Ours doesn't get turned on unless they're going to be in the car for longer than an hour and given the fact that they get to watch almost no TV at home it's a real treat for them. I don't use the thing all that often, but when I do, its worth its weight in gold. When they're older I'm going to encourage reading, interacting with each other, etc, but, for now, I'm glad that I can turn on the soma-box for a few hours on long car trips.

Aren't they going to be two years older by the time you get your X? I'm will to bet that by then they'll be showing you how to use an iPad.

The four year old is already kind of doing that so I'm assuming that he'll be a pro by age 6. The two year old uses his mom's iPhone all the time but doesn't really do anything on purpose. And then there's the fact that I don't think that we're done having kids so there could be a little baby by the time the X arrives.

Your point is well taken about the iPads though; in the S I plan on strapping one to each front headrest and letting them watch movies that way. It could be, if they like that setup, I'll just transfer it to the X when it gets here.

Your point is well taken about the iPads though; in the S I plan on strapping one to each front headrest and letting them watch movies that way. It could be, if they like that setup, I'll just transfer it to the X when it gets here.

Right now the Model S (and X) have integrated headrests so there is no way to remove the headrest put a mount around the posts on the headrest and then put the headrest back on the seats. :-(

Right now the Model S (and X) have integrated headrests....

Maybe not! Take a look here:

dsc01072.jpg

Those headrests are adjustable, which means there may be a way to hang something on them.

Make it an option. Some of us do not need it as our kids are older.

I agree, I tried to predicate the discussion on the idea that any RES would be an option. I just think given the market segment Tesla are aiming at, some kind of system is a neccessity. Some people (not me) will see lack of available RES as a deal-breaker.

I don't have kids, but if I would they wouldn't be getting amused by pixels the whole drive.

When I was a kid I had to sit 10 hours in the back reading comics and counting cars during our trips to Austria and Switzerland.

What however would be great is if they'd equip every seat with a (high power!) USB port, that way passengers can chars their phones, tablets and run other devices. Also, make the rear speakers a bit better. Rear speakers always give crappy sound.