Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear brake / wheel fitment issue on M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is this very annoying placed plastic cylinder on the back of the rear caliper on the M3P. The wheel weights on my 18" Apex wheels are rubbing on it. Quite annoying that it stick out way further than the caliper itself.

Thanks.
PXL_20211122_050918642.jpg
PXL_20211122_051422019.jpg

Looks like the wheels balance weight pieces are rubbing the cylinders. Go ask the tire shop that balanced your wheels and tires to remove the weights and rebalance the wheels with the weights stuck to the inner or outer edges of the wheels. They should do it for free for you since they should have checked no rubbing after the original install.

I encountered this issue when my 18" winter wheels and tires arrived from Tire Rack for my 2021 M3P. Shortly after receiving my order I got an email saying that Tesla changed the assembly and that the wheels/balancing weights might interfere with operation.

They have since removed 18" options from their configurator for the 2021 M3P and I had to reorder with 19" wheels. They gave me a full refund of course.

This happened to a few people within our local Tesla owners group on FB.

That is the motor for the electronic parking brake. I wouldn't grind it down, the plastic is thin and if water gets in there it will kill the motor.

Just have the shop rebalance and move the wheel weights to a different location, it's pretty quick and easy to do.

That is the motor for the electronic parking brake. I wouldn't grind it down, the plastic is thin and if water gets in there it will kill the motor.

Just have the shop rebalance and move the wheel weights to a different location, it's pretty quick and easy to do.

Yes, they took care of it. Plenty of room for the weights closer to the spokes. All taken care of.

I was a little annoyed that Apex did not warn of this, but interesting to hear that Tesla changed the assembly recently.