Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really Frustrated with Auto High Beams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you hold down the wiper button it sprays the windscreen, doesn’t it?

I've never tried what the person you quoted said, light press and hold, however the wiper button has two "press" levels. A lighter press activates a quick wipe, a deeper press activates the washers.

The auto high beams are truly terrible and unusable in this car unless you don't care about oncoming drivers' eye balls. I'm regularly blinded by other Tesla drivers on my commute too, I think I've found many of those drivers in this thread...

My Tesla Vision ('21 M3P) car's auto high beams are even worse than my '19 SR+ HW2.5's auto high beams. They will regularly flash on and off at oncoming drivers, and do not even remotely obey traffic laws about high beam usage and oncoming vehicle distance. They are especially terrible if there is any banking in a roadway.

The hysteresis in the HW2.5 car was at least better at avoiding repeatedly blinking on/off. If it saw a car it stayed off for a longer period of time.

I agree Tesla has 3 major items to work on:
Auto high beams - never would use it unless it is 99% accurate which means I don't use any auto high beams from any car.
Wipers - good 80% of the time. Easy to override.
Autopilot- still has a long way to go, far too many errors when driving so I can't use it.

I have only had my M3P for three weeks and have to agree with all of these who say that both the auto high beams and auto wipers are simply not fit for purpose. They are far worse than any of the similar systems that I have had in competitors' vehicles over the last fifteen years or so.

For example, my 2018 BMW 540i has matrix LED headlights that turn with the front wheels and flawlessly dip only that part of the high beam that would dazzle the driver of a car in front or coming the other way and only do so for precisely the right amount of time. In contrast, the Tesla system dips well before it's necessary and the high beam does not come back on for what seems an age after, say, an oncoming vehicle has passed by. I live in rural England and we have undulating, winding roads, where this behaviour is positively dangerous, especially when the only work around is to constantly pull the stalk back (whilst steering the car!). I just switch the feature off and revert to good old manual operation to avoid the problem.

Not good enough for an allegedly high tech car; I judge by results and don't accept Tesla's excuses (eg., "we use cameras and AI") for not getting right things that others have been doing perfectly for years. Oh and the BMW use cameras too, the difference being that they do it properly!

These kind of deficiencies are a great shame because they tarnish what is otherwise a great car.

Reactions: heavyD and Durzel
With the amount of cameras the car has got, and Tesla's touted self-driving aspirations, there's absolutely no reason either system should be as bad as it is.

I get that self-driving is a completely different discipline to wipers, and the team working on the former wouldn't be working on the latter, but it's impossible not to look at the ambitions for self-driving in context with the basic stuff that performs so much poorly than competitors with a fraction of the cameras and wonder just how Tesla is going to achieve its self-driving goals.

Auto wipers don't work because Tesla stubbornly refuses to use a rain sensor, a tried-and-tested and refined solution that has a nominal cost at scale but works essentially flawlessly in all conditions. Because of the position of the camera vs where a rain sensor would be mounted (on the dash, beaming IR at 45 degrees to the windscreen) the camera solution works poorly, and as its a camera-based solution it is even less effective at night.

Auto headlight systems use a camera too (and/or a photoelectric sensor), so Tesla have no excuse at all there. I'm unconvinced that there is any development happening in that domain at all. It can't see distant rear lights to turn them off, it will switch off upon reflections from signs and other street furniture, and is far too slow at dipping at oncoming cars, as well as being glacial at turning them back on afterwards.

In terms of matrix lights and the UK/Europe specifically - there is a belief that Model 3s have had matrix lights in terms of hardware for several months, but "deactivated" in terms of intelligent behaviour. Since adaptive headlights have not been legal in the States until very recently I can only conclude that Tesla basically don't give a crap about developing or enabling them for the European markets where it IS legal. We'll get crumbs from the table that the US lot sit at, as long as there's no issue in giving it to us, but otherwise we're s**t outta luck.

As with the auto wipers, I don't have any issue with the auto high beams. They get used quite a lot because of where I live. The one thing that really aggravates me is having to manually turn them off half the time.

2021 model 3 LR with radar here. I cannot use the auto high beams either. They are absolutely terrible. They for some reason cannot tell when Consecutive vehicles are travelling towards me, which leads to them constantly flashing. First 6 months of owner ship I always gave them multiple chances but just had to give up. If I do have them on (for the auto off feature) I always make sure to manually turn them off after so they don’t accidentally flash again.

Unfortunately I haven’t been in any other cars with auto beams so I just assumed this was normal. Would be really cool if they worked properly.

I have only had my M3P for three weeks and have to agree with all of these who say that both the auto high beams and auto wipers are simply not fit for purpose. They are far worse than any of the similar systems that I have had in competitors' vehicles over the last fifteen years or so.

For example, my 2018 BMW 540i has matrix LED headlights that turn with the front wheels and flawlessly dip only that part of the high beam that would dazzle the driver of a car in front or coming the other way and only do so for precisely the right amount of time. In contrast, the Tesla system dips well before it's necessary and the high beam does not come back on for what seems an age after, say, an oncoming vehicle has passed by. I live in rural England and we have undulating, winding roads, where this behaviour is positively dangerous, especially when the only work around is to constantly pull the stalk back (whilst steering the car!). I just switch the feature off and revert to good old manual operation to avoid the problem.

Not good enough for an allegedly high tech car; I judge by results and don't accept Tesla's excuses (eg., "we use cameras and AI") for not getting right things that others have been doing perfectly for years. Oh and the BMW use cameras too, the difference being that they do it properly!

These kind of deficiencies are a great shame because they tarnish what is otherwise a great car.
Totally agree about the lights being too slow reverting to high beam. Around 2.5 seconds of blindness. I’m also from rural UK.

Reactions: Timcat
Just received my M3 2 days ago and the auto high beams control is horrible. It is late going to high beam and dangerously late going to low just as on coming traffic is about to pass. I have a Honda Civic which has auto high low and works perfectly. I just got rid of a Santa Fe with a similar system and it worked perfectly.
I'm extremely disappointed that Tesla can't fix this problem.It is so bad on this new M3 I can't use it . It is NOT safe!

Reactions: Lightbulb
Just received my M3 2 days ago and the auto high beams control is horrible. It is late going to high beam and dangerously late going to low just as on coming traffic is about to pass. I have a Honda Civic which has auto high low and works perfectly. I just got rid of a Santa Fe with a similar system and it worked perfectly.
I'm extremely disappointed that Tesla can't fix this problem.It is so bad on this new M3 I can't use it . It is NOT safe!
With the FSD beta it's pretty good, at least for me. The car gets the high beams off when any approaching car is still way off in the distance, and flips them back on pretty fast after the car passes. My guess is Tesla had to put a lot of work into them for the FSD beta and that new logic will trickle down to all the cars as FSD moves out of the beta phase.

I understand and agree with the criticisms above. AHB is nearly worthless since it reliably blinds oncoming traffic.

We all know Auto-Pilot and FSD are works-in-progress.

The Auto-Wiper is decent, and as noted trivial to override.

The challenge is Tesla hates additional dedicated single-use sensors. They have a passion to get a general (camera in this case) sensor suite and then re-use it with software for a wide variety of tasks. This does literally reduce the cost of the car by fitting it with fewer sensors (and fewer things to break over time). But it means missing out on the fine-tuned already-up-the-learning-curve dedicated sensor performance.

So we wait and hope that some software guys free up to refine the highbeam activation threshold logic. hope hope hope

The auto high beam are bad because

1) it takes too long to turn off for oncoming traffic
2) turns off for no reason sometimes with just few lights on the side of the road.
3) sometimes takes too long to turn on, on dark roads
4) because it takes so long to turn off and on, it sometimes turns on then off again because the car is already approaching.

The camera will never be as good as an eyeball in determining if the light source is a car or a light bulb on the side of the road from far away. I tried to use the auto high beams but I just can't. Now I just manually turn them on and off like I did in my last car.

Reactions: heavyD
I understand and agree with the criticisms above. AHB is nearly worthless since it reliably blinds oncoming traffic.

We all know Auto-Pilot and FSD are works-in-progress.

The Auto-Wiper is decent, and as noted trivial to override.

The challenge is Tesla hates additional dedicated single-use sensors. They have a passion to get a general (camera in this case) sensor suite and then re-use it with software for a wide variety of tasks. This does literally reduce the cost of the car by fitting it with fewer sensors (and fewer things to break over time). But it means missing out on the fine-tuned already-up-the-learning-curve dedicated sensor performance.

So we wait and hope that some software guys free up to refine the highbeam activation threshold logic. hope hope hope
They have had 5 years to get them working. If it was easy to solve they would have. I have to assume this is basically as good as it is going to get. Consider my hope reserve fully tapped out :)

I don't drive a lot at night these days so with the shorter days here I was out at night a few weeks ago. At first I thought maybe they had improved but was quickly proven wrong as they turned back on with someone right in front of me, blinding them. Absolutely atrocious and now Tesla is forcing them on every time I start the car.

I don't have a lot of sympathy here. There is known working tech for this that they choose to ignore, like the wipers, and it costs the end user usability. If they worked like a normal company they would first start with the known tech and only remove it AFTER they perfect their algorithms, but this is Tesla so they start with the worst case and promise fixes for the rest of the lifespan of the car.

The auto high beam are bad because

1) it takes too long to turn off for oncoming traffic
2) turns off for no reason sometimes with just few lights on the side of the road.
3) sometimes takes too long to turn on, on dark roads
4) because it takes so long to turn off and on, it sometimes turns on then off again because the car is already approaching.

The camera will never be as good as an eyeball in determining if the light source is a car or a light bulb on the side of the road from far away. I tried to use the auto high beams but I just can't. Now I just manually turn them on and off like I did in my last car.
1 & 4 are my main gripes. I feel guilty blinding oncoming traffic when using auto high beam as I have never been flashed as much as I am in this car. It simply takes way too long to turn off and contributes to spaztic on/off cycling.

My auto high beam observation is that they do avoid glaring others, but sometimes try to use high beams when it is not helpful. Example would be driving no faster than 25mph in a suburban neighborhood, where the extra reach is not needed, and high beams may go on for just a few seconds before turning off for another car or the lights on a house.

Well I had my first dark highway drive after the latest update and I am very happy to say the high beams are finally at a place where I can trust them. They are probably still not perfect, but at least they are no longer turning off way too late and blinding other drivers. If anything, they are a bit too sensitive now, but I would prefer that over blinding oncoming traffic.

Reactions: Darmie