Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Range for MYLR - winter vs summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow that's pretty bad. What was your temperature (well, the air temp... lol) and at what speed were you driving?
About 70 degrees and 75-80mph. It's pretty rare that the Y LR gets 200 miles on the interstate. Remember you aren't ever going to get from 100-0, it's more like 100-10 or even 80-10%, because the nav will recommend SC.

In my 2022 MS in the same conditions and same roads, I've hit 330 miles.

Reactions: WNC-MY and JohnB007
About 70 degrees and 75-80mph. It's pretty rare that the Y LR gets 200 miles on the interstate. Remember you aren't ever going to get from 100-0, it's more like 100-10 or even 80-10%, because the nav will recommend SC.

In my 2022 MS in the same conditions and same roads, I've hit 330 miles.
Correct, no one drives from 100% SOC TO ZERO. To get the EPA rated mileage you’d need to AVERAGE about 245 wh/mi. Look at the energy screen and see where the SOLID LINE with the word RATED is then as you drive watch the DASH LINE moves UP or DOWN. Overlap the two lines like a an airplanes Glide Scope and you get the EPA rated mileage from a FULL CHARGE. BTW 245 wh/mi can be achieved in mild temps on flat ground and traveling between 45 and 50 mph.

Reactions: JohnB007
Correct, no one drives from 100% SOC TO ZERO. To get the EPA rated mileage you’d need to AVERAGE about 245 wh/mi. Look at the energy screen and see where the SOLID LINE with the word RATED is then as you drive watch the DASH LINE moves UP or DOWN. Overlap the two lines like a an airplanes Glide Scope and you get the EPA rated mileage from a FULL CHARGE. BTW 245 wh/mi can be achieved in mild temps on flat ground and traveling between 45 and 50 mph.
I do drive about 21 miles on rural highway 3 times per week, where most of it is limited to under 50mph. On a nice day, I do get slightly over 100% efficiency, which I believe is above 245 wh/mi, based on my calculation.

Where I get killed is on highways with more than 85mph. Not all the time, of course but when I do, the charge curve seriously tanks downwards. If I keep under 75mph, the range is actually quite decent, at least for me.

"Belleville IL" - I thought you were from my town... lol.

It is rather disingenuous of Tesla to list the numbers they do for range for ANY of their lineup. It is simply not real world.
But agree with most on this post that range can be worked around and is not a show stopper for enjoying the cars.

The supercharger network is great but can be a limitation if your preference it NOT to stick to interstate driving. If you like back roads and meandering tourism you often have to go out of your way and stay near the interstate system for access to SCs. That has been our only drawback. For this type of travel a RAV4 prime or even Highlander Hybrid may be a better solution.

if you are thinking
=========================
"I dont have home charging, but they are telling me I will get 280 miles in summer and 220 in winter, and I only drive 25 miles a day round trip, so I will only need to charge at a supercharger every 8-9 days during the summer and I will have some left over."
========================

Then no, those figures are not close to being accurate for that situation at all.

This is an important truth. One long drive of 200 miles is very different than 20 drives of 10 miles each over a few days. At least in cold climate. The energy used to heat the battery each time will make a bunch of short drives *way* less efficient.

It is rather disingenuous of Tesla to list the numbers they do for range for ANY of their lineup. It is simply not real world.
But agree with most on this post that range can be worked around and is not a show stopper for enjoying the cars.

The supercharger network is great but can be a limitation if your preference it NOT to stick to interstate driving. If you like back roads and meandering tourism you often have to go out of your way and stay near the interstate system for access to SCs. That has been our only drawback. For this type of travel a RAV4 prime or even Highlander Hybrid may be a better solution.
The data that Tesla submits to the EPA is accurate, correct for the way that Tesla chooses to compile city and highway battery rundown testing. Tesla's EPA estimated range data is best used when comparing the estimated range of different Tesla vehicles, wheel configurations. It is not useful for example when comparing the range of a Long Range Model Y with another brand or model of EV.

Hi Guys. I am considering purchasing a Model Y Long Range. Just want to know what is the True Real World range at 80% and 100% during Winter and Summer? I have a Buddy who has a Kia EV6 AWD and he can get 200 miles at 80% and 270 at 100%. Just want to compare. Thanks

Hi Guys. I am considering purchasing a Model Y Long Range. Just want to know what is the True Real World range at 80% and 100% during Winter and Summer? I have a Buddy who has a Kia EV6 AWD and he can get 200 miles at 80% and 270 at 100%. Just want to compare. Thanks
Need more data. Especially, how cold during winter, and how fast are you driving? There's other factors too, but lesser impacts.

Used to have a Ioniq5 rwd till i traded it in last month for the MYLR. I noticed I had to charge up the i5 up less times per week but that's only cause I always lvl3 charged it to 95-100% cause of the Electrify America free charge sessions. With the MYLR I only lvl 2 charge it up to 80% and don't let it get below 20% cause I plan on keeping it for the long haul.

The other factor with the MYLR was the cabin overheat protection. Noticed that using a few percent of battery per day as well so turned it off.

The best thing to do is to plug it in at home or work if you can. Currently the Ioniq5/ev6/gv60 are having issues with derated lvl 2 charging due to overheating. There's a class action going on for that now.

Need more data. Especially, how cold during winter, and how fast are you driving? There's other factors too, but lesser impact

Need more data. Especially, how cold during winter, and how fast are you driving? There's other factors too, but lesser impacts.
Lets Just say when your done charging to 80% in your garage using a home charger during winter and summer. How many miles do you normally get per 80% and 100%?

Lets Just say when your done charging to 80% in your garage using a home charger during winter and summer. How many miles do you normally get per 80% and 100%?
I don’t think you’ll find that people drive their battery down during the winter to get any useful numbers.

I can tell you on one leg of a trip in winter I went from 100-5% in 300km. It was dry that day and I was at highway speeds.
While an interesting anecdote, it’s not useful for much.

Cold winter weather really eats your battery.

Absolutely no one can answer that, because whats displayed on the screen has nothing to do with how far one can actually drive, due to a number of factors like how fast you drive, terrain, weather when you drive, and other factors.

TL ; DR it doesnt matter what the screen says (for this car or for your friends ioniq or any other EV). It also doesnt matter, since if you have a garage you will likely have home charging, so unless you are a traveling salesperson or driving your entire range out every day (which almost no one is), how far it says you can go on a charge doesnt matter, even though for some reason people looove to focus on it.

Absolutely no one can answer that, because whats displayed on the screen has nothing to do with how far one can actually drive, due to a number of factors like how fast you drive, terrain, weather when you drive, and other factors.

TL ; DR it doesnt matter what the screen says (for this car or for your friends ioniq or any other EV). It also doesnt matter, since if you have a garage you will likely have home charging, so unless you are a traveling salesperson or driving your entire range out every day (which almost no one is), how far it says you can go on a charge doesnt matter, even though for some reason people looove to focus on it.
Ok. I didnt know Tesla's do not display how much estimated miles you have left on your battery. For example my friend has an EV6 and after charging to 80%, the car will tell him he has around 200 estimated miles. Now i understand that that 200 miles is only an estimate as this will change due to weather, wind, driving style, etc. But at least his kia gives an estimate of much miles he has available based on 80% SOC. Very interesting that tesla does not even provide an estimated range.

Ok. I didnt know Tesla's do not display how much estimated miles you have left on your battery. For example my friend has an EV6 and after charging to 80%, the car will tell him he has around 200 estimated miles. Now i understand that that 200 miles is only an estimate as this will change due to weather, wind, driving style, etc. But at least his kia gives an estimate of much miles he has available based on 80% SOC. Very interesting that tesla does not even provide an estimated range.

They do display an estimate. Its just not meaningful, just like you said "
Now i understand that that 200 miles is only an estimate as this will change due to weather, wind, driving style

I also never said they dont display anything at all. I said " whats displayed on the screen has nothing to do with how far you can go", same as you just said, so not sure where you got me saying its not displayed.

I don’t think you’ll find that people drive their battery down during the winter to get any useful numbers.

I can tell you on one leg of a trip in winter I went from 100-5% in 300km. It was dry that day and I was at highway speeds.
While an interesting anecdote, it’s not useful for much.

Cold winter weather really eats your battery.
Thank you for answering. Ok so on the model y long range, you can get 186 miles with 95% charge during winter. I do understand that everyday the mile/range could change due to alot of factors. i have a friend who has an EV6 and his range in the winter time is around 180 to 210 at 80%. I pretty much just wanted to get a general idea of the model y's real world estimated range from a tesla owner before purchasing.

Thank you for answering. Ok so on the model y long range, you can get 186 miles with 95% charge during winter. I do understand that everyday the mile/range could change due to alot of factors. i have a friend who has an EV6 and his range in the winter time is around 180 to 210 at 80%. I pretty much just wanted to get a general idea of the model y's real world estimated range from a tesla owner before purchasing.

But the response / winter driving range from someone in Mississauga, Canada has nothing to do with (at all) winter driving from someone in California, which is what you put as your location, so their real world range has nothing to do with what you might or might not experience. They get "real" winter up there, and in CA most places we dont.

Since you have mentioned your friends Ioniq several times, perhaps this thread would be of interest to you:

Why is this important? It's irrelevant info on either car. Shouldn't you be asking what the range at 70 mph is or the range in town...things that actually matter?

Instead you are set on knowing what the estimated range displays, which you've already admitted doesn't matter.