Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

real world all models 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I knew the car had 11.1 in it. The numbers indicated that.

This backs up the Car and Driver result, but it's still a couple tenths off the 10.9.

But this is a long way from the original 11.4 passes, and the unmistakable ET improvement over time as more examples are being tested, and drivers become more familiar with the car, has been interesting to watch over these past few months.

Last edited:
Pondering P90D v P90DL in Aug-Nov of this year. (While hopeful there will be something "above" the P90DL by then.) But I can't find anything, anywhere, with various searches across TMC, indicating that a stock car will meet the advertised 10.9 quarter-mile. Apologies if I've missed the report but here goes:

1. Does P90DL routinely achieve 2.8 0-60, assuming (a) stock car as ordered, except maybe (b) 21" summer performance tires? (My belief from reading various threads is that the answer might be YES, but not so sure it's routinely yes.)

2. Does a P90DL routinely achieve 10.9 in the quarter-mile, assuming stock car and 21" summer performance tires? (My answer from reading threads is best reported so far is around 11.1-11.2, with the exception of Motor Trend.)

Basically, if I spend the extra $$$ for Ludicrous mode, I want to accelerate so quickly I snap the heads of unbelievers firmly into their headrests, knocking all images of EVs-as-toys out of their skulls and into the next county. And if I tell them the car achieves 2.8 0-60 and 10.9 quarter-mile, I want to be speaking the truth.

Thanks for your help,
Alan

P.S. Coming out of a July-build / August-delivery 2013 P85+, which I deliberately financed via Tesla, so that I'd have a glorious Aug-Nov 2016 window for the guaranteed buy-back to put a floor on the price of my car when I resell. I am counting the days!

P.P.S. Why does Tesla do this to themselves?! First the whole horsepower rating fiasco, now the 10.9 seeming-fantasy quarter-mile! Based on the supposed $5K P85 Ludicrous upgrade kit, I kinda think what I want is the hardware upgrade so that I can get my 1500A when possible, forget the stated 10.9 time, call it "Whatever" mode, and just charge me $5K instead of $10K. :)

Pondering P90D v P90DL in Aug-Nov of this year. (While hopeful there will be something "above" the P90DL by then.) But I can't find anything, anywhere, with various searches across TMC, indicating that a stock car will meet the advertised 10.9 quarter-mile. Apologies if I've missed the report but here goes:

1. Does P90DL routinely achieve 2.8 0-60, assuming (a) stock car as ordered, except maybe (b) 21" summer performance tires? (My belief from reading various threads is that the answer might be YES, but not so sure it's routinely yes.)

2. Does a P90DL routinely achieve 10.9 in the quarter-mile, assuming stock car and 21" summer performance tires? (My answer from reading threads is best reported so far is around 11.1-11.2, with the exception of Motor Trend.)

Basically, if I spend the extra $$$ for Ludicrous mode, I want to accelerate so quickly I snap the heads of unbelievers firmly into their headrests, knocking all images of EVs-as-toys out of their skulls and into the next county. And if I tell them the car achieves 2.8 0-60 and 10.9 quarter-mile, I want to be speaking the truth.

Thanks for your help,
Alan

P.S. Coming out of a July-build / August-delivery 2013 P85+, which I deliberately financed via Tesla, so that I'd have a glorious Aug-Nov 2016 window for the guaranteed buy-back to put a floor on the price of my car when I resell. I am counting the days!

P.P.S. Why does Tesla do this to themselves?! First the whole horsepower rating fiasco, now the 10.9 seeming-fantasy quarter-mile! Based on the supposed $5K P85 Ludicrous upgrade kit, I kinda think what I want is the hardware upgrade so that I can get my 1500A when possible, forget the stated 10.9 time, call it "Whatever" mode, and just charge me $5K instead of $10K. :)

Alan, if neck whipping acceleration is what you're looking for then you won't be disappointed. Not sure about the times as it seems only the pro's can achieve those numbers, but I'd say even an average driver on stock equipment can get sub 3.0 0-60 and sub 11.5 in the 1/4. Be advised, my experience with the car in the limited time I've had it is that is does get pretty light and squirrelly above 130mph (even though the top speed is 155mph). I'd like more downforce before I planned on heavy driving above 110mph.

Has anyone tried it on 19" wheels yet? The current power curve is not traction limited on 19s but they are 10 lbs lighter each.

Im wondering that as well, If you run the numbers on the tire diameter the 21" have a larger tire size as well 28.3" diameter on the rear vs the 19" wheel tire package which are 27.7" diameter, though its not much it works out to a 2.2% difference in tire size. I would guess you would need summer tires on the 19" wheels as well which will have more grip vs the stock M+S tires that come on the 19s.

Thanks for your help,
Alan

0-60 in 2.8 is truth.

Unless you're of the ridiculous notion that rollout should not be considered when it is generally considered in the report of 0-60 times of most any other manufacturer and in most any other respected publication. I don't want to even get started on that crowd which is notorious for bleating (in my opinion trolling) about rollout.

When it comes to references to 0-60, rollout has been with us, will forever be with us, it's not going anywhere, and it makes sense to me as to why the three are true.

10.9 seconds, well no one has seen that yet in a privately owned car.

However from my own standpoint, and perhaps I feel this way because I paid $5k for Ludicrous and not $10k for it, or $13k for it, 11.1, 11.2 even 11.3 while not 10.9, will still beat most bone stock two seater sports cars, non C7 Z06 Vettes, non C6 ZR1 Vettes, many Porsches, just about all stock Mustangs, Camaros, and many other stock muscle cars out there, stocko on stock tires vs stock on stock tires.

Those kinds of quarter mile times, that kind of acceleration in a 2.5 ton sedan capable of seating 5, no, 7 occupants, and getting 90 plus MPGe, are nothing short of legendary n

However, part of the reason why I feel this way about the 10.9 thing though, is because some of the stock quarter mile claims made by other manufacturers for their offerings, are every bit as hard to hit, every bit as elusive for the average owner to hit as is hitting 10.9 in a Tesla is.

Im wondering that as well, If you run the numbers on the tire diameter the 21" have a larger tire size as well 28.3" diameter on the rear vs the 19" wheel tire package which are 27.7" diameter, though its not much it works out to a 2.2% difference in tire size. I would guess you would need summer tires on the 19" wheels as well which will have more grip vs the stock M+S tires that come on the 19s.

Except that I get 2.8s 0-60 on my all season 19s. After 17 MPH, the traction requirements drop rapidly so i don't think a summer tire would make a difference.

Reactions: bhzmark

I come up with 27.75 for the 21" wheels vs 27.68 for the 19" wheels....virtually identical.

I got 11.278 on my 2nd ever 1/4 attempt. I could hear the tires squeal a little on launch. Perhaps if I tried with the mirrors folded in, all my charging equipment and other junk in the car left at home, and a little more grip off the line, I could shave off a few hundredths. I don't think I could get an 11.1 with my car.

My Spec: all options except winter package and rear seats. Staggered 21" Michelin summer tires.

I got 11.278 on my 2nd ever 1/4 attempt. I could hear the tires squeal a little on launch. Perhaps if I tried with the mirrors folded in, all my charging equipment and other junk in the car left at home, and a little more grip off the line, I could shave off a few hundredths. I don't think I could get an 11.1 with my car.

My Spec: all options except winter package and rear seats. Staggered 21" Michelin summer tires.

Wait, you didn't have the glovebox empty, rear storage empty(no charging gear or tow hook), rear storage lid removed, and cargo cover removed, windshield wiper fluid should be empty and the plastic shrouds around the frunk tub are good for a few lbs. It all adds up.

Wait, you didn't have the glovebox empty, rear storage empty(no charging gear or tow hook), rear storage lid removed, and cargo cover removed, windshield wiper fluid should be empty and the plastic shrouds around the frunk tub are good for a few lbs. It all adds up.

If you think that makes a difference, I'm definitely going to try again. Maybe I'll go on a crash diet and try to lose 6 or 7 lbs as well...it all adds up :)

I ran 19" 275/30 RE-11's vs Stock 21" Conti's - P85 vs P85 and we had identical time slips. 12.458
that was 25.6" diameter & 10 lbs lighter vs 27.8"
not sure that helps any?

Thanks for the info!!

Few questions,

Was that 10 Lbs lighter per wheel or just overall?

With the tire size difference was the service center willing or able to reprogram the car for the alternate tire size so that the speedometer and odometer would be correct?

So... we need someone to order up a P90D+L with cloth seats, coils, 19's, carbon fiber trim, no premium package, no pano roof, no subzero weather heaters, no sound upgrade, no rear facing seats, no charger upgrade, remove the parcel shelf, trunk floor cover, and the UMC and then recruit a 85 pound driver and see if we can crack 11 seconds. Any volunteers?

I think the 21" with conti's weighed 62.5lbs each (they did with the Hankook tires)
10 lbs per was not correct for that set...
the 19" MRR wheels w/ RE11 tires were 56lbs each (staggered but still same weights)
I have 19" enkei w/ AS2 tires that are 50lbs

I change back and forth between wheels quite often so never considered reprogramming for speedo accuracy. The speeds on my dash were off by at least 4-6 mph at 60 based on local radar speed signs and I think I saw something like 114 on the 1/4 (really ~108).
The Staggered Forgestar CF5V I have now are 47lbs for the fronts and 52lbs on the rears (currently eating 235/275 RE71R tires)