Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated range loss after 1 year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as a data point, I did my first ever Range Charge the other day, and my 85 kWh, 10 month old Model S with 18,000 miles reached 246 Rated Miles. About 6 months ago, when the car had roughly half the number of miles on it, I was doing a Range Charge but had to leave before it completed. It was nearly done and I had achieved 260 Rated Miles. It may have got up to 265 if I had left it until it completed, but I cannot be sure.

I am not sure if this 14 - 19 mile loss is due to battery degradation or whether it has something to do with how the numbers are calculated between different vehicle firmware versions. Since the weather turned cold, I have normally been charging my car to 90% daily and return at the end of the day at about 30%. 90% currently gives me 215 Rated Miles. When the car was new, and I would do a "Standard Charge" I would get 245 Rated Miles.

My experience is very close to yours. My car is now giving me between 205 and 211 miles at 90% (as noted at the time I wake up in the morning after auto-charging at 1:00AM). I have not done any special "balancing charge, just normal charging with a range charge about once a month. It is cold now, so that may be affecting the reading, but I am concerned with the amount of range loss in the first 14 months of operation. I wonder if "B" battery chemistry has a different degradation profile. If things continue on this curve, it will be interesting to find out what is considered normal degradation in terms of the battery warranty.

My experience is very close to yours. My car is now giving me between 205 and 211 miles at 90% (as noted at the time I wake up in the morning after auto-charging at 1:00AM). I have not done any special "balancing charge, just normal charging with a range charge about once a month. It is cold now, so that may be affecting the reading, but I am concerned with the amount of range loss in the first 14 months of operation. I wonder if "B" battery chemistry has a different degradation profile. If things continue on this curve, it will be interesting to find out what is considered normal degradation in terms of the battery warranty.

Am at at the same place as you and mknox too w/ same batteries. I am wondering about this too, from the battery survey is seems like the batteries may act/degrade differently

Am at at the same place as you and mknox too w/ same batteries. I am wondering about this too, from the battery survey is seems like the batteries may act/degrade differently

I think you guys should keep your cars 100% charged (ignore the on screen warning) for several weeks. This is the advice I got from Tesla when I reported my P85 was showing a rated range of 231 miles at 100% charge. I am now at 255 rated miles.

Was it similar with the Roadsters? I know there were changes in the PEM and other stuff + there were very few cars built compared to the S. Were there running changes in roadster cars that made it so a car built one day could have something better in it or was this avoided with the 1.5, 2.0 etc? Wasn't there differences in the cooling pumps or something?

It seems that our S' have older cooling pump versions and the have changed this too. but not the actual car version at all.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you guys should keep your cars 100% charged (ignore the on screen warning) for several weeks. This is the advice I got from Tesla when I reported my P85 was showing a rated range of 231 miles at 100% charge. I am now at 255 rated miles.

cool, might try this

did this change the amount of power used for a given distance vs how much the car reports? not sure that makes sense even

or anything else you could notice? 24 miles is almost 6 kW of power not shown /unbalanced in the 100%calc
each 10% increment shows 8kW when I charge between the 50% and 90% levels

Last edited:

So it looks like the A battery has balancing issues at anything under a max charge.

did Tesla add individual balancing capability for each cell maybe? this would help the higher charge rate too if they could tell that some cells were full while others weren't on the newer packs - just a random idea

I don't know. I don't have much experience with A packs. I can tell you that B packs don't have this problem unless, you never complete your charges,and never leave the car plugged in for 30-60 minutes after the charge stops to balance.

That's interesting... and kind of counter to everything I'd been led to believe about caring for the batteries. In the summer, I typically charge to 70% and return at the end of the day around 40%. In the winter, due to the cold, I go from 90% to 30%. I always thought it was best to "play" in the middle range of the battery's capacity rather than going extremely high or extremely low.

That's interesting... and kind of counter to everything I'd been led to believe about caring for the batteries. In the summer, I typically charge to 70% and return at the end of the day around 40%. In the winter, due to the cold, I go from 90% to 30%. I always thought it was best to "play" in the middle range of the battery's capacity rather than going extremely high or extremely low.

I have always heard this about Li batteries too for the best longevity.

I used to charge to 90% mostly and now I am doing 60% or 50% during the week and 80%/90 if I plan to go somewhere on weekends.

So is the idea to charge to 100% and not drive it after??+ keep tapping the charge when it drops to 99%.

Eventually, I will be forced to spend more and more time at 100%.
Just about 1 year for me, 60kWh, 13.5k miles
last 2 range charges got to 192 rated miles.
90% charge is at 169

I think the highest I ever saw was 203 (when it was brand new there was some software bug that showed max range miles of 197, but it stayed there for a long time once you started driving)

I sometimes wonder if the A packs have totally different software, hardware, and degredation profiles. From all of the reports, it sure looks that way.

I'm starting to see mention of "A Packs" and "B Packs" etc. but must have missed the conversations around what this means. Can someone point me to a thread or information on this? I have no idea what type of pack I have, and wasn't aware that there were any differences.

The point about Tesla changing how they display the mileage is important. My 90% used to say 245, then it was 240, then 230, now usually says 219. I'll try to rebalance and see what happens, but each of these reductions came immediately after a software update.

I'm starting to see mention of "A Packs" and "B Packs" etc. but must have missed the conversations around what this means. Can someone point me to a thread or information on this? I have no idea what type of pack I have, and wasn't aware that there were any differences.

Look in the bottom of you front passenger wheel well, behind the tire. The battery label will be there.

Yes, that's true. Doing a full range charge will bring the pack into balance, but is also hard on the cells.

An out of balance pack will display a lower range number, but isn't permanently degraded. The range can be restored by balancing the pack. Unfortunately the best way to balance the pack has a nasty side effect of degrading the battery!

Personally I wouldn't worry about the range numbers. It's just optics, and doing regular range charges to pump the numbers up will do real damage to your battery.

If you do an occasional range charge whenever you need it, the balancing will take care of itself. And if you're doing extra range charges, at least do them in the winter at low temperatures, not in the heat of summer.

Yes, that's true. Doing a full range charge will bring the pack into balance, but is also hard on the cells.

An out of balance pack will display a lower range number, but isn't permanently degraded. The range can be restored by balancing the pack. Unfortunately the best way to balance the pack has a nasty side effect of degrading the battery!

Personally I wouldn't worry about the range numbers. It's just optics, and doing regular range charges to pump the numbers up will do real damage to your battery.

If you do an occasional range charge whenever you need it, the balancing will take care of itself. And if you're doing extra range charges, at least do them in the winter at low temperatures, not in the heat of summer.

I think this is generally good advice. An occasional range charge followed by immediate discharge shouldn't really be hard on the battery given everything Tesla has told us.

I think this is generally good advice. An occasional range charge followed by immediate discharge shouldn't really be hard on the battery given everything Tesla has told us.
I have done this every time I did range charges but there doesn't seem to be much balancing going on based on the numbers. What I wonder is, if you are seeing say 245mi at 100% but if it was balanced it might be 255mi, will the number of miles you can drive, or the kWhr consumed be similar for both? or are there 3kWhr of power added in the balancing? RC 6s packs take a little while to balance for not much power being added at all.