Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range vs. Commute Report Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I'm a car person, hold a BSEE (so I know how VFD's work) and propose that it might be helpful to have a thread about "commute vs. range vs. KWh cost-" you know, the very reason for EV's to exist.

I will start:
2014 Model S P85D, purchased May 2023, with 35k miles. After 2 months I can report that the day starts with 240+ (243) miles, and after an 81mi each-way commute, ends with 5-10-20 miles.

Given a 240 miles reported (on a 250mi original range) this is 30% loss.
This is in New England, in the Summer, commuting on the MA Turnpike (I-90, The Masspike).

I am reporting that 30% of the range "disappears."

So my commute speed in the AM and PM match: the first 40mi are 10% above SL, and then at SL or 25mph. Then at night, the reverse: 25mph or 10% below SL for 40 mi, then 10% above for 40mi.

So with a range of 240 miles, parking in a shaded garage, I purchased the vehicle thinking "10% might be off" but there is a 30% loss!

Comments?

Car person resume:
LX470
SC400
Nissan Z
Saab 95 Aero
e39 BMW M5
Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Wagon
1983 Mercury Sedan with "fins on the front!"
Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
- swapped bearings and brakes on many family vehicles

The energy screens should show you consumption over the last 30 miles on one screen, and whether consumption from driving, climate control, etc. was higher or lower than rated on another screen.

The speed you drive at (not whether it is higher or lower than the speed limit) can be a significant factor in consumption.

Reactions: bruce4000
Compare your range with ABRP

Make the comparison separately for each direction and time of day.

If the car spends power while parking, switch off climate (it seems to run idle longer if you don't explicitly switch it off) and disable overheat protection.

Reactions: mswlogo
Which wheels and tires? The rated range is also done with 19" wheels and LRR tires like MXM4s. Larger wheels and more aggressive (even all seasons) will hurt range, sometimes as much as 10-15% alone.

Get a subscription to TeslaFi and you can track energy usage on your trips and idle/phantom drain. I only managed to get rated range on my P85D if my speed was 60mph or less, and weather was 65 degrees or warmer.

My 2013 S has a refurbished pack. Dec 2020. I have 217k miles on car. I've charged several thousand times. Been in 25+ states. Range has many factors, in your case u do same everyday. But, the biggest drain on pack is the AC , pack cooling and heating. The summer heat has been hard because the pack under u needs to be cooled. Have u ever gotten out and the cooling fans are running on front ???? Mine r running everytime I drive on hot street at noon. Range in this summer heat, even in MA, is hard on these cooling systems.