Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Showing When Charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks

i’m not overly concerned since i’ve only have my M3P for 6 weeks and 400 miles since lockdown, but wanted to see what others display on range.

When charged to ‘daily range’ @ 90% it shows as 280 miles. I only charged once to 100% for the one long trip i’ve done and it showed 310miles.

The Tesla website shows a WLTP of 329, so is seeing 310 at full charge on a new car ‘normal’ - and is it worth me getting Teslafi to give me more details on car, battery status, etc.

Thanks in advance

The cars displayed range is based upon 310 miles (for LR AWD). The WLTP is only there to allow different cars to be compared. Its based upon a fictitious test drive.

The 310 is based upon an equally fictitious 225Wh/mile efficiency. Yo can see that update as you drive.

You have to have something to show and as range is dependent on many things many people just change it to %. This also avoids concern as the battery ages, recalibrates and energy naturally fluctuates and drops off.

You could achieve 225Wh/mile efficiency on many slower drives in warm conditions, but much harder in colder conditions, or, as with mpg, when you want to drive at higher speeds. The 329/349 is going to be a rarity, if not impossible without turning it into a project.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Seth2020
The 310 is based upon an equally fictitious 225Wh/mile efficiency.

That is the range you will see on the energy graph, right?

On the battery screen isn't the range based on its own calculation of battery health and calibration? For this reading folks claim that the number can drop based on bad calibration, and in order to re-calibrate you need to drive until below 40% SOC and then charge to 90% SOC.

Or am I getting things mixed-up?

Its a simplification based on values when new. Your post and my edit crossed so my post better explains this.

Energy graph for trip does take into account the current trip, so is a good indication of expected range. I don't use energy graph in non trip mode, so don't know what it bases its figures on - not even sure that it predicts in non trip mode?

Its a simplification based on values when new. Your post and my edit crossed so my post better explains this.

Energy graph for trip does take into account the current trip, so is a good indication of expected range. I don't use energy graph in non trip mode, so don't know what it bases its figures on - not even sure that it predicts in non trip mode?
It's based on average over the last 5,15 or 30 miles depending on what you select