Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think what you should be comparing is the energy consumed on your drives. Has that average changed? Yes I get the display is showing less than full range - could just be a software bug. I just look at % charged, ignore the estimated miles, and look at the Wh/mi consumption. I'd be alarmed if the consumption was consistently and notably higher.

Not saying this isn't an issue that Tesla does not need to address, but there's a difference between what software may show you or calculate vs. actual battery cell desegregation or software impacting energy consumption.

Best example is how the later updates have reduced sentry mode consumption from 1+ mile/hr down to 0.4+ mile/hr. A significant savings for anyone who uses Sentry unplugged for many hours.

It's a well known issue, every Tesla forum is talking about it. There's another post on here it showed people with SR with Max range of 203 after 5000 miles. Mine is at 208 after 7000 miles, it's really bad.

Im gonna wait until the V10 update and then call service if it's still not fixed.

I think what you should be comparing is the energy consumed on your drives. Has that average changed? Yes I get the display is showing less than full range - could just be a software bug. I just look at % charged, ignore the estimated miles, and look at the Wh/mi consumption. I'd be alarmed if the consumption was consistently and notably higher.

Not saying this isn't an issue that Tesla does not need to address, but there's a difference between what software may show you or calculate vs. actual battery cell desegregation or software impacting energy consumption.

Best example is how the later updates have reduced sentry mode consumption from 1+ mile/hr down to 0.4+ mile/hr. A significant savings for anyone who uses Sentry unplugged for many hours.

Actually I have also noticed that the Wh/mi has also seemed to increase with the 2019.32 update. During my normal 21 mile commute to work in the morning I used to typically see ~ 170 - 190 Wh/mi consumption now on the same commute it is more in the range of 220 - 230 Wh/mile.

Actually I have also noticed that the Wh/mi has also seemed to increase with the 2019.32 update. During my normal 21 mile commute to work in the morning I used to typically see ~ 170 - 190 Wh/mi consumption now on the same commute it is more in the range of 220 - 230 Wh/mile.
See that's something to sink our teeth's into more. I just got the latest update today so we'll see if it jumps even higher. Hope not since I'm already averaging some 320wh/mi for my 30 mile commute haha.

I have a M3 AWD LR with 9300 miles on it. I recently went on a quick road trip, so I set the charge to 100%. Curiously, when it charged to 100% it maxed out at 300 miles. According to my Teslafi report, it looks like the last time I was able to get a 310 mile charge at 3k miles.

I don't usually charge to 100%, so I wasn't cognizant of the decline. Is this normal??

Attachments

• charge range.png
    charge range.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 306
Same issue with my car and many. I had 310 miles at 100% through last winter with poor efficiency and now I’m averaging 225wh/mi and my max battery has dropped to around 295 or so. The downward slope of degradation or BMS limiting will begin to be concerning in a few months (I have an 11 mo old dual motor with 11k miles on it)

Don't look at a single charge. Look at the trend shown by the Battery Degradation Report.

I attached the trending chart, and I did review the charge over time report. It is most certainly declining over time. My concern is whether it is expected for the battery to take a lesser charge over time, or if I should be concerned I may have a defective battery pack? I've barely had the car a year and it's already lost nearly 5% capacity...

On 32.2 my 12k mile P3D- was down to 298. Then after last night’s update to 32.2.2, it went down to 295. I did a two button/brake reboot and it immediately changed from 295 to 300, in the stats app. Used to always be 309 in the beginning.

Yes, it is definitely expected that the battery will lose capacity with age and, evidently, it starts to manifest itself noticeably somewhat after 5,000 miles just as your history seems to indicate. Check Tesla Model S battery degradation data
My wife's 2015 S85D has next to zero battery degregation after 46k miles. Stats shows the car has 267 to 268 miles at max charge (down from 270). I guess I'm concerned about my 3's trend line because the car was holding 310 until 8500 miles and then, after a software update, it dropped to 301ish and has been trending down below 300 rather aggressively. This morning I was at 265 miles at 90%, down 15 miles or almost 5% in less than a year. I know everyone will say it's just an estimate, but I would think the estimate would only be lower if I was achieving less than the rated range for 310 mi (which I believe is ~240-245wh/mi)

Same. 11 month old AWD, at 12k miles, my 100% is now 295. It stayed at 309 for the first 9k miles, then over the course of 2k miles, from around 9k to 11k, a steady decline from 309 to 295, and seems to now have stabilized, I hope.

SC says they checked the battery and all is well, within spec, in range of other cars in fleet of similar age and mileage, blah blah blah.

Said I could do the 100-20 cycle a few times. I said I had tried that, and it went down further.

Whatever. But it would be nice if Tesla addresses this and had a statement that described what to expect, and when to be concerned, rather than just what the random SC employee says. We all know how random that can be.

On 32.2 my 12k mile P3D- was down to 298. Then after last night’s update to 32.2.2, it went down to 295. I did a two button/brake reboot and it immediately changed from 295 to 300, in the stats app. Used to always be 309 in the beginning.

I'm fairly certain this this has nothing to do with the physical health of the battery, I think something changed (maybe the charge state algorithm?) in one of the recent updates. I've got 23k miles on my car and it had indicated range of 309 miles at 100% [279 at 90%} until one of the recent updates when it dropped to 272 @ 90%. Maybe it's more accurate, maybe it's a bug that will be fixed later, either way, I think our batteries are the same (physical health wise) that they were a couple months ago.

Reactions: gecko10x
It is expected (on average) for the battery to lose up to 5% during the first year..
That is correct.

Over the years on TMC there have been dozens of threads on this topic. Some cars only lose 1-2% the first year, some lose up to 5%. After that the loss is about 1%/year.

I know for some new owner that first year battery capacity decrease can seem alarming. It is normal, and not just for Tesla but also for other EVs.

• Love
Reactions: roblab and McFlurri
OP what do you percentage do you NORMALLY charge your car to? less than 90%
I'm not the OP, but I charge to 85-90% which is what Elon and others have recommended. Sometimes I charge above 50% back up to that amount, other times it runs down to 10% or so before I charge it up.

That is correct.

Over the years on TMC there have been dozens of threads on this topic. Some cars only lose 1-2% the first year, some lose up to 5%. After that the loss is about 1%/year.

I know for some new owner that first year battery capacity decrease can seem alarming. It is normal, and not just for Tesla but also for other EVs.
If my data set was consistent over the first year I'd be fine. I'm more concerned with the sudden 10 mile drop after a software update and lack of a fix going into winter. I don't expect my range to get better as we move into the colder months in the northeast.