Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe you have a SR+ and you need a firmware push to get LR. Just like someone who bought a P- but got AWD and they had to push a P- update.

I’m not serious. But could you, seriously, just do a service request from the phone where they only do a remote diagnostic? Choose range + charging, and in the description maybe tell them you lost 8% already at low miles, and also mention in the message that you’d like remote diagnostics done instead of bringing it in for service just yet.

it is only possible to talk with Tesla service on the phone if you indicate you have an emergency or need roadside assistance.
Otherwise you have to use the app to schedule service.

I’m not even sure if the option to chat with service is even still available.

I would prefer not to have to take it into service but, on the chance the car needs to have the BMS reset then that is probably the only option.

For me, personally, the real question is if the car has truly lost nearly 10% of its battery capacity in one year and 8,000 miles of driving or if the car is mis-calculating the available range.

The reset in the reddit link above didn't work. See recent comments

T8DoQbO.png

it is only possible to talk with Tesla service on the phone if you indicate you have an emergency or need roadside assistance.
Otherwise you have to use the app to schedule service.

I’m not even sure if the option to chat with service is even still available.
That’s what i meant. Schedule service through app, and choose that range option as the issue category, and when it gives you the box to type in notes, you mention your 8% drop and that you would not like to take it to a SC.

or maybe Tesla software could function properly and show something accurate when dealing with something as important as battery range?

too much to ask from Tesla apologists it seems.

nope, i agree it would be nice if it were accurate, but, at the same time it’s not worth worrying about.... there’s enough real worries to not have to create new ones.

For what it's worth, my one year old Model 3 "Stealth" Performance is currently showing a calculated rated range for 100% charge of about 283 miles (down from 310, so down about 9%) at 15,700 miles (and one year). From this Stats iOS app chart, you can see that my rated range at 100% varies over time and various usage and charging patterns:

model3-health-2019-09.jpg

I tend to charge it to 80% every few days and it most typically gets discharged only down to 50-60%. However, some trips may end up discharging down around 10% and I'll charge up to 90-100% just ahead of leaving for longer trips, like between Santa Cruz and Lake Tahoe – which includes needing to supercharge along the way.

My lifetime efficiency settled down at 240 wh/mile after the winter months, though I see it's now showing 250 wh/mile. That's a bit of a surprise jump – I wonder if they've changed the calculation recently. I'm on 2019.32.2.2. I typically get around or somewhat better than rated range with a mix of highway, city and mountain driving. (As much as 120% efficiency earlier in the summer!) That drops substantially for the cold weather, particularly in the snow/mountains.

Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on it and hope to see the rated range float back up again and not continue down on this linear fit trend line. If it does continue to sink over the coming year, I'll be wanting to check in with a Tesla service center to see what's wrong.

Last edited:
Since you're from the future, you already know what I'm going to ask but I will ask anyway. Can you show the same chart of your data with dates on the X axis?

Not my chart. It is from the reddit thread linked earlier here.

Battery Degradation "fix"? : teslamotors

The reset happened 2 months ago, car is from last December if that helps.

And if you scroll down to this link you will find the chart I attached:

Capture.PNG

What's your basis for this apparent slander? It's a pattern I see a lot when basically "realist commentary" is seemingly not acceptable as a response.

What's 'realistic' about being dismissive of concerns customers have that their batteries are degrading faster than anticipated? Yes, it's being an apologist. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

One of the reasons I spent as much as I did on a Tesla was that they had a very good track record in regard to preserving the original battery range well into ownership of their vehicles.... based on the stellar track record with their S and X vehicles that used more primitive batteries than the far more advanced battery in the Model 3.

When owners plan on keeping the car 3-5 years or longer and knows Tesla only warranties the battery for 70% of original range for seven years it's a legitimate concern when you see a 10% drop after one year.

Additionally many of us early adopters have already seeing the resale value of our cars destroyed by Tesla's aggressive price cutting. Knowing that your car will potentially be worth thousands of $ less than other similar vehicles because you got a "bad one" is just rubbing salt in the wound.

I will wait till I get the 10.x FW update in another month or two and if the range continues to show the 9% (or maybe worse by then) loss then I will be contacting Tesla to see what they have to say about it.

What's 'realistic' about being dismissive of concerns customers have that their batteries are degrading faster than anticipated? Yes, it's being an apologist. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
I now think you don't know what that word means. Why would my feelings be hurt? It's not me you mislabeled, and I'm one of the many with a very good memory of some obvious missteps and self-inflicted wounds that Tesla has brought upon itself.

It's apologist if someone says "and Tesla is the bestest ever". It's not if someone explains reality to you, the limits of current tech, physics, etc.

I will wait till I get the 10.x FW update in another month or two and if the range continues to show the 9% (or maybe worse by then) loss then I will be contacting Tesla to see what they have to say about it.
Totally reasonable. Based on their track record (and reports on TMC), I doubt they can say anything that will address your concerns to your satisfaction.

Can you try doing a deep cycle once, 10-100%. Then go to 90% thereafter. Your range should start going up after the third charge up or so. Well that's been the case for me for the few times I attempted to balance my battery.

Recently, I've noticed that my SoC reading at my very fixed charge limit has been varying widely, by up to about 15 miles. I have it set to charge to 60% max in the warm season, and it's usually around 186-190mi. Some days I get in the car, and it's somewhere between 205 and 215.

That seems to me like something in the charge controller's logic is being flaky on when it thinks it's supposed to stop. Wondering if it can go the other way and stop charging early too. That could explain a lower reading.

As for my car, an early build LR RWD, my 100% charge has been pretty consistent at 308. Just like I think it's unlikely that the OP has lost 10% due to lithium plating/dendrite growth, I suspect my battery probably has degraded somewhat. I think it's just hard to trust what the SoC value tells us...

How has it impacted your real life at all? Let use know when it does. So far you and most of the people complaining about this have experienced zero real life issues.

When owners plan on keeping the car 3-5 years or longer and knows Tesla only warranties the battery for 70% of original range for seven years it's a legitimate concern when software and fuzzy math indicates a 10% drop after one year.

Fixed that for you. If you loose ten percent a year in 3 years you’ll have lost 30 percent which will entitle you to a free battery replacement. What’s there to worry about?

I will be contacting Tesla to see what they have to say about it.

“It’s within spec, have a nice day” is the only reasonable response...