Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also if not for the VIN itself, people would have no idea of it's their Model X, or one of the several dozens of Model X's that looks close enough to their own configuration. It's just my opinion that ignorance is bliss for those who get worked up about it. If it becomes a forum rule, I'll be quite sad but that isn't up to me to make such a decision.
That's one thing that I know would have bothered me. A picture of an undelivered car that I know could be mine, with no way to know for sure. Kind of like when I'm not certain if a car I saw in the wild was a Tesla, just worse.

Many investors here do indeed have a lot to lose and gain over whether a VIN sighting is real or fake, and pictures are a big, big thing in separating fact from fiction for de-risking that sort of speculation.

Anyways, maybe it's just me--coming from a state where any license plate easily leads to your address, and your address easily leads to your name in publicly-searchable online databases. Nothing private about it. What a single individual might post about, several thousand drivers have already seen from that Model X in transit on public roads

I think there are two privacy issues being discussed in this thread - the one of posting license/VIN information, and the one of posting pictures of a MX before delivery. Personally, I'm more concerned about the former. Yes, the license plate is publicly available, and yes, there are entities logging your plate and geolocation in order to share your travel habits, track down repos, etc. However, there's a difference between someone seeing your plate/VIN and someone sharing your plate/VIN. That should be clear. Also, just because people are doing this doesn't mean this forum needs to do it as well. There can be a higher ground.

With regards to the investment argument, sacrificing our respect of others' privacy in order to profit is not in line with the way I live my life. If that's the collective opinion in this club, I'll be really disappointed.

If it becomes a forum rule, I'll be quite sad but that isn't up to me to make such a decision.

It's not up to me, either, but I'd take the opposite side of that argument. Hiding VIN and plate information, or requiring such a thing, would definitely be my preference.

The only thing I'm not really liking in these photos is the black plastic around the wheel wells. I prefer how the S has body color paneling all the way to the edge. But I haven't seen an X in person and maybe these blend in more or look better (as some have said of the nose)?

I think it's there to reinforce the "rugged" S/CUV image, as seen on Volvo's XC70 (not sure about 90), Subaru Outback and others. Also speaking from experience the two places I've scraped my paint on my S are the rear wheel wells. I have a tight garage entry/exit.

I have test to see the X in person but imagine the trim looks less jarring on a darker car.

Randomly sighted this vid on youtube of X obviously in transit (no VIN visible). High quality, included FWD opening/closing.
Was uploaded Dec 19 already, but haven´t seen it posted yet (might have missed it though).

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I'm not really liking in these photos is the black plastic around the wheel wells. I prefer how the S has body color paneling all the way to the edge. But I haven't seen an X in person and maybe these blend in more or look better (as some have said of the nose)?

This was discussed a while back and a forum member posted pics of another similar vehicle with and without the black trim. The trim plays a trick on the eye making the car appear sleeker and sportier. I was amazed at the difference that this added detail makes in a positive way. The S doesn't need it because it's not a "bulky" car.

This was discussed a while back and a forum member posted pics of another similar vehicle with and without the black trim. The trim plays a trick on the eye making the car appear sleeker and sportier. I was amazed at the difference that this added detail makes in a positive way. The S doesn't need it because it's not a "bulky" car.

And this is one of the reasons I like the white. The trim just fades away and the white pops. Looks much sleeker, imo.

Randomly sighted this vid on youtube of X obviously in transit (no VIN visible). High quality, included FWD opening/closing.
Was uploaded Dec 19 already, but haven´t seen it posted yet (might have missed it though).

Already shared. Note the car is in factory mode, so likely still in transit to a SC. Someone will likely get in trouble for this vid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many investors here do indeed have a lot to lose and gain over whether a VIN sighting is real or fake, and pictures are a big, big thing in separating fact from fiction for de-risking that sort of speculation.

I'm not personally a crazy short-term investor, but the pseudo-public information first coming to TMC before anywhere else has been a factor in making significant investing decisions in TSLA that were significantly de-risked by something as small as pictures. My mortgage is thankful for people who post information such as this, past, present, and future.

Anyways, maybe it's just me--coming from a state where any license plate easily leads to your address, and your address easily leads to your name in publicly-searchable online databases. Nothing private about it. What a single individual might post about, several thousand drivers have already seen from that Model X in transit on public roads (they don't airlift these things, or ship them through private tunnels cross-country you know!). Also if not for the VIN itself, people would have no idea of it's their Model X, or one of the several dozens of Model X's that looks close enough to their own configuration. It's just my opinion that ignorance is bliss for those who get worked up about it. If it becomes a forum rule, I'll be quite sad but that isn't up to me to make such a decision.[/COLOR]

In a perfect world I agree with you. More information is always good. But we're not at that stage right now: right now there are some wealthy individuals purchasing these cars and this information could lead to possibly maybe making them concerned about things they simply don't want to be concerned about. I know it doesn't seem right, but there is such a thing as hiding in plain sight. And analogous to that is hoping to be awash in the public information to the degree that you have some level of privacy. Some people have occasionally depended on this for their life to actually work in today's environment, and it's more common among anybody who isn't precisely at the top of the bell curve. I know it's not a great thing, but it is a reality that I think we should try to respect for a company that is depending upon a certain level of customer right now. And as somebody who wants to see this type of progress on our planet succeed, I'm in favor of that. That's why whatever I posted here, wholy appropriate or not, has been consistent with those goals. For instance, my transit queue pic didn't have a lot of uniquely identifying information.

As the statistics of Tesla vehicles raises to that of where Mercedes used to be (mostly already happened for new cars), including the model X now (not yet happened), this will naturally fall back into the wild.

Last edited:

I'm not personally a crazy short-term investor, but the pseudo-public information first coming to TMC before anywhere else has been a factor in making significant investing decisions in TSLA that were significantly de-risked by something as small as pictures. My mortgage is thankful for people who post information such as this, past, present, and future.

Anyways, maybe it's just me--coming from a state where any license plate easily leads to your address, and your address easily leads to your name in publicly-searchable online databases. Nothing private about it. What a single individual might post about, several thousand drivers have already seen from that Model X in transit on public roads (they don't airlift these things, or ship them through private tunnels cross-country you know!). Also if not for the VIN itself, people would have no idea of it's their Model X, or one of the several dozens of Model X's that looks close enough to their own configuration. It's just my opinion that ignorance is bliss for those who get worked up about it. If it becomes a forum rule, I'll be quite sad but that isn't up to me to make such a decision.[/COLOR]
If "investors" have a lot to lose or gain by whether a VIN sighting is real or fake, then they're gambling, not investing. What happens to them doesn't concern me and I don't know why it would concern any Tesla owner or advocate.

I went to the factory boneyard area by the Service Center, and there's an adjacent fenced in area with stored vehicles. I have no idea the disposition of these. They could be mules, dev, rejects, in process staged, shipment staged, etc.. This lineup has doubtless been explored by these forums before, so I think nothing new. No close ups or new info available. The only thing I like is you can see the profile difference between the S&X designs, which is nearly meaningless if they aren't the current designs.
View attachment 104950Edit: fixed orientation on desktops.

So what I really want to know is if that midnight silver car in front had a Vin of 346? The timing would be about right! Color, seats and wheels are the same as I configured.

So - I'm giving permission on the VIN... :)

-jason

I will be happy to create fake TMC accounts and post fake VIN number sightings, just to see people like ​eloder crash and burn.

And that's why pictures are reasonably actionable factors in making an investing decision. Not sure why it's a bad thing for investors like me to succeed, a number of my fellow millennials have zero chance of affording even a Model 3 without significant investing action and the info on TMC is almost cheating when it comes to making relatively de-risked investing decisions.

Whether you agree with me or not, short-term investors do indeed have something to lose by restricting pictures. That is what I was responding to, nothing to do with whether it should be a TMC rule on whether we should allow pictures or not. The powers that be here in TMC can indeed choose whether to censor such pictures, so arguing whether they should go up or not is sort of a moot point until it becomes a rule.

Just saw my first Model X P90DL at the Fountain Valley Supercharger. Owner said he just took delivery of it after waiting 2.5 years.

Video of the falcon wings:

Tesla Model X Falcon Wings Opening - YouTube

modelxfv12272015.jpg

Last edited: