Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

random chitchat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An executive who could not make proper arrangement between work and personal life should consider not to be one. If you think you are not replaceable on that day, or for that matter any day or week, than you're in for a big surprise.

So, you are saying that if I'm scheduled to present to my board on Sept 29th, I should consider moving it in order to make the X launch, otherwise I'm not cut out to be an executive?

An executive who could not make proper arrangement between work and personal life should consider not to be one. If you think you are not replaceable on that day, or for that matter any day or week, than you're in for a big surprise.
The issue is not whether an executive can have personal time. The issue is that if you have an important customer meeting or something on the 29th, it's very rarely acceptable in a business to ditch that meeting to go look at a new car. Of course, if you are in the hospital, or a relative has died, someone else is always able to step in, but that's not quite the same thing as looking at a car. With more of a heads-up, you can avoid having scheduled important meetings on that day.

Having run my own company for many years, that was seriously not my experience, and I must say is an egregiously nasty comment.

Having run my own company for many years, that was seriously not my experience, and I must say is an egregiously nasty comment.

Maybe not your experience, or maybe not your opinion, but many studies consider the business meeting as the biggest waste of time business people attend.

Most upper level management can get one of several assistants to cover for them. Most can reschedule for almost any reason, and you have a week, for goodness' sake! The only person I remember as loving business meetings was my office manager, who slept through them.

Stop Wasting Valuable Time

It's easy to criticize others when you don't have the issue yourself....
Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 2.56.47 PM.png

Some of us have important things to do and they can't always be easily rescheduled to make a 2-day mid-week cross country trip.

Absolutely a ridiculous statement. If you think it's only about if people think they're replaceable or not, then you appear to have a very shallow view of the world.

I agree with this but I think Elon adjusted his master plan when he saw the market opportunity at the high end. Remember, he started with the S40 at $50K but soon realized he had a better opportunity at the high end given how well the 1% is doing in this country the last few years. That's why we saw so much emphasis on Insane/Ludicrous modes as well as many new high priced options. That is why the S40 was cancelled and prices were raised. The goal is to get the ASPs up.

The X is the same. Instead of focusing on a mid range SUV, he went for the kitchen sink and the much more lucrative and profitable high end.

The complaining you are seeing is from the mid tier buyer who stretched to buy the S who will not be able to pay for the X.

But if this strategy pays of so we can gave a successful Model 3, it will be worth it.

The 40 was canceled because nobody was buying it.

Only four percent of customers chose the 40 kWh battery pack, which is not enough to justify production of that version.

I'm not going to play word games with you.
Maybe there was no demand for the S40. Maybe Tesla wanted to move upmarket. The other actions to drive up ASPs support the latter while the former can still be true.

Again, this is a good strategy for the company and the stock. It just makes it difficult for the mid tier buyer. This is a investment thread so no need to focus on that point here.

I'm not going to play word games with you.

There are no word games involved. The car never existed. That's why nobody bought it. Interested customers were encouraged to change to a 60. Other interested customers held out or cancelled because there were constant delays and no reassurance that the car would ever get made, and they wanted to have something to drive and an idea of when they would actually be able to drive it.

It's very easy not to sell a product when you don't want to sell it. So no, it was not cancelled "because people weren't buying it."

About 150 S40s were delivered.

According to Musk the take rate for the S40 was less than 3%.

Originally, Musk expected BEV buyers to be all about saving money. The S40 was cheaper to buy, would have a longer lasting battery pack because it would never be used to the limit, and very cheap to fuel. Musk expected a tiny number of former European sport sedan owners would buy the S85. Turned out to be the opposite.

There are no word games involved. The car never existed. That's why nobody bought it. Interested customers were encouraged to change to a 60. Other interested customers held out or cancelled because there were constant delays and no reassurance that the car would ever get made, and they wanted to have something to drive and an idea of when they would actually be able to drive it.

It's very easy not to sell a product when you don't want to sell it. So no, it was not cancelled "because people weren't buying it."

Indeed it was never made, but those who ordered it could instead buy a 60 kWh with software limiting it to 40 kWh range while paying the 40 kWh price. That limitation could be undone with a payment by the original or a future owner.

Link to 2013 Tesla Press Release

Relevant Sentences:

"The customers who ordered this option will instead receive the 60 kWh pack, but range will be software limited to 40 kWh. It will still have the improved acceleration and top speed of the bigger pack, so will be a better product than originally ordered, and can be upgraded to the range of the 60 kWh upon request by the original or a future owner."

Last edited:
When the 40 kWh was cancelled on 4/1/13, only the 85 kWH battery was available. The first 60 kWh cars were delivered soon after that. The order rate would likely have been higher than 4% for the 40 kWh if it was actually available to people (and not at some unknown time in the future). Elon said it "felt like a hobbled horse" which I believe that is the real reason that it was cancelled: Video: Elon Musk Discusses Tesla Model S Cancellation | Inside EVs (skip to 5:30)

Whew! I can sleep easy now. I don't care if the doors insult you verbally as you enter, enough people will by the car to get to the model 3 which will sell more than they could ever make, even if it started at 50k instead of 35.

Oh my word, I would pay extra for the insulting drivers' door option. I need all the humility I can get when I go for a drive in my Tesla! Plus if the insults were clever in any way, it'd enhance the Tesla Grin.

~self-banished to OffTopic to not muddy the investors' thread~

EDIT: Can I get it in Gilbert Gottfried's voice, please please please?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.