Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ran out of battery in the highway...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyway it was a good experience to go thru the process. So anyone reading this long and boring thread, do not plan to get to the station with less than 20mile range remaining in the bitter cold(below 20) as he will shut himself down at any moment.
And after the incident, I've lost 10miles of range.
But I'm thinking I got nobody to blame but myself for letting the battery deplete completely, probable cause of battery weakening.
For informational purposes, I have ran the battery down to 1 or 2 miles left without a problem during summer weather days.
Also roadside assistance confirmed that they will cover the towing bill.

This is not surprising that you lost 10 miles of range. It's pretty clear that your BMS calibration was significantly off. I know it's anathema to many on here, but I always feel better discharging my car all the way to shut down at least once a year to recalibrate my range. I've never had my cars (3 Model S's) shut off before 0, and I drive my cars down to single digits regularly, warm, cold, hot, freezing weather.

It's my opinion that if you don't do this, you'll get in a situation like you describe where it shows remaining range, but it's really just not there. I'd much rather face potential accelerated degradation an unspecified number of years down the road than be stranded on the highway in the freezing cold for 2 hours. Besides, I don't believe that a once or twice a year complete battery discharge/recharge cycle is going to materially affect the battery in any meaningful way.

What it MIGHT do is show defects in the battery sooner, which is fine by me. I'd rather have a pack completely fail during one of these cycles because it's being treated rough, than crap out on me when I'm NOT somewhere comfortably charging my vehicle.

What was true once or once upon a time (in a galaxy far far away - oops, that's another story) is not always true - now. What does that bs mean? Way back during the first year of the S, when there were not so many cars on the road, we all read every word written from those that had the first S's. And way back then, Tesla didn't know what they didn't know about a lot of things. They didn't have years of studys or other owners experiences and didn't account for human behaviors. I'm not a scientist or behaviorist, but we tend to think that once something works its going to work like that forever. That's so much not-Tesla.

I can remember the experiences of the first few that ran their battery down. Sure-sure Tesla had warned us/them not to, but people did it. Way back then there really was a 20-mile or so reserve. It was proven several times, when people drove and recorded on video -5, -11 even -17 miles past 0. That info spread quickly. And I think it became common knowledge. And lots of people repeated it - still do. And we want to believe it. So we think it should be that way now. Now, that's not true. I mean, from what we can see there's no reserve. Back in the days of version 3.0 and 3.1 and all those full and small updates that came after, there were no significant reports and nothing concrete from Tesla that Tesla was adjusting the slider bar regarding where or if there was a reserve. But we saw it disappear. People got used to it quickly and suddenly it wasn't there. People stopped reporting experiences south of 0. And to this day we don't get explanations or clues that how much - how close we can get to 0. Those folks that need the most range or battery may as well try plotting how to update to a new or even a used 100S to get that range if its needed.

I don't think - let me correct that. I don't want to think that Tesla is purposely without their own explanation (that we may never know) fudging the range or reserve battery in a way that would punish or penalize owners. People are going to disagree, but I believe Tesla's big picture is to provide us the best product that they can. Lucky us it routinely gets better; and then sometimes its less than perfect while they use us to experiment with adjustments. But overall, I trust Tesla to do their best and I don't need to brow-beat them to keep them doing it.

Anyway it was a good experience to go thru the process.

Despite the unfortunate situation, I am glad that it worked out well for you.

I just got off the phone with my wife and she too ran the car to zero, and it happened on the highway, only a few miles from a supercharger. This is only the second time she's had the car to herself for a weekend. Apparently she was able to drive it for another 20 minutes after reaching 0%. Cold weather had nothing to do with it in this case. It was just very poor planning.

She did say the tow company was Tesla-certified, so they knew exactly what they needed to do. They were very courteous.

There goes our 1-time free tow.

Writing about it helps me remain calm.

that's good to know thanks. I will have to play it safe from now on.

Attachments

• 20180201_134946.jpg
    20180201_134946.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 44