Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raining inside my 2-week-old Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a related experience today, on my 2nd time through a car wash since I took delivery on Friday.

At some point the rear right door decided it had been opened, so the window went down to the door opening height (about an inch down). The door itself didn’t mechanically open, but the window wouldn’t roll all the way back up. It obviously let water rain down within the vehicle as the sprayer came by.

after the car wash was over, I went out, opened the door, rolled the window down and up. No dice. Still stuck 1” down like it does when you open the door.

proceeded to drive home. Car thought door was open the whole way, so it made an annoying audible alert the full 8 miles and prevented use of autopilot etc.

just before I got home, the window rolled itself up and the alerts stopped.

no idea, but obviously worried this is going to happen anytime I apply water to that side of the car now!

think I’m gonna continue to put the car through water intrusion tests during my whole 7 day return window

I had this same issue. The rubber boot around the wiring harness (where the door wiring connects into the vehicle) was not installed properly, water must have made something mad in the connector.

After having this same issue happen to me about three times, I fixed it myself. Pulled the boot off, unplugged the door connector, applied dielectric grease onto the connections, installed the rubber boot CORRECTLY, alas, no more mystery open door/window.

How long do you have??
The warranty is 4 years or 50K miles. But if you think about it, someone coming in with 1,500 miles to complain about a bad paint job would rightfully be refused.
The 100 miles? Perhaps to report defects on a Due Bill, which probably gets treated differently from a warranty repair. I dunno where the 100 miles is coming from. Given you can drive 1,000 miles and return it, you see how that discrepancy just doesn't make sense.

But Tesla has consistently corrected any issues for me, except for an A/C odor that they wouldn't warranty. (Cabin filter replacement and sanitize for $200.)

Reactions: Electroman
If you look through Ford, GM, BMW, even Toyota forums.. I am sure you will see anecdote like this one or two... just saying.

When Model S was released, then X and then 3.. every problem was amplified enormously in social media. WSJ troll journalist Charlie Grant and other TSLAQ scumbags are as we speak giving wide coverage for this post, which is an unintended consequence of posting it anywhere on the internet. There is nothing OP can do about it. Not his fault. These journalists will make sure, everyone within their reach hears "All Teslas are a piece of junk" message, to everyone within their reach, and to that extent this post will be widely circulated for months to come.

Now OP and the members who replied here are doing it with the best of intentions to get the problem corrected for OP in a timely manner, and get Tesla's attention to fix their QC. Which is exactly TMC is for - keep the best of interest of company and its customers in mind.

But those PoS journalists and TSLAQ pond scum have other objectives. They want prospective buyers to pull back from buying by sowing FUD in their minds, in the hopes that these kind of posts will take a life of its own and diminish the brand, reduce sales and kill the company. They have tried this many times. "Tesla is installing faulty, dangerous batteries that can catch fire". "Tesla axles break down". "Teslas have Sudden unintended acceleration problem". "Panel gaps, panel gaps, panel gaps". "Paint issues paint issues".

I came across a youtube video about a similar leaking Model 3 from some guy in the UK. Doesn't seem like he had much luck getting Tesla Service to acknowledge the issue either.
?? I just watched that video and he says they had changed their tone, are picking up his car and giving him a loaner and sound committed to fixing the problem.

It's been public for weeks now that their production problems are killing them. They're pushing these cars out too hard... in a pandemic. But being honest - I am just as impatient and want my car by EOM (delivery date is 6/30). Particularly when I had a perfectly good M3 until some %$# smashed into me and totaled it. We're making due with one car now which is only possible due to the pandemic.
The service/delivery centers are completely overwhelmed, and some reps probably aren't dealing the stress very well. (Fun fact - most Telsa employees cannot afford a Telsa. Not that it should matter, just something to keep in mind.)
I'm not happy at all to know my new car most likely will need service to fix problems right away.

That being said - they simply have such a unique car and driving experience to STILL get the consumer ratings they have.
I've been driving my wife's 2006 Lexus 400h and it feels like I'm driving a tractor. I miss driving a Tesla, can't wait to get my Model Y, and hope I get lucky and my issues are not bad.

• Love
Reactions: jb401
Sorry, I don't buy the shady conspiracy theories. "News" sites peddle one thing: Page clicks. They have no agenda other than page clicks.

If an article about Tesla's problems generates above-average engagement, then they will run similar articles.
Writing click bait stories to get page clicks is one thing. But going to Twitter and talking about these problems as if they are systemic and wide spread is another. Many of these journalists - there is one per main stream paper - have hundreds of thousands of followers, many of them TSLAQ.

• Love
Reactions: rxlawdude and jb401
What would help refute the claims would be some sort of counterpoint from Tesla with actual facts around Model Y delivery quality. For example, they could state that less than X% of Model Y deliveries are rejected or returned (or more than Y% are successfully delivered).

Otherwise, we’re left with speculation on both ends. That the problems are wide-spread and crippling a majority of deliveries or that the problems are the figment of Tesla haters’ and short-sellers’ imaginations and ulterior motives.

I really didn't want to post this. I love the Model Y, it's a great car and I really love Tesla. However...

Caveat Emptor: My Model Y is leaking water through the headliner. Bring a bottle of water to delivery and test the seals on the roof of your model Y (around the edges of the glass roof).

Shared this video (see attached GIF) with Tesla >48 hours ago and am shocked they haven't jumped all over this...crickets so far. Thinking I will want to return the vehicle. This is an incredible miss by the delivery team. I have to imagine the glass roof has to be removed, seals replaced and that the headliner and some electronics will have to be replaced, too...but again, no response from Tesla yet.

Help me out here, Tesla, this thing cost me >$65k and can't be driven in the rain???

Stay tuned to see if Tesla does the right thing. Interested to hear what you all would do if your Model Y wasn't remotely waterproof...
I had the model Y ordered twice and back out in favor of a m3 because i was a little worried about the first run and quality. I love the body style and will buy one asap. hang in there i am sure they will fix it.

• Love
Update: had a good call with Tesla in Chicago. They are relatively confident they can fix the issue and replace whatever needs to be replaced.

Service appointment on Thursday...we'll see...

Which Chicago location? I know an owner adviser from gold coast/grand he's been awesome if that might help you out. We text each other and he's very responsive. PM if you need the help.

• Love
This sucks and I would not want to be on the receiving end, but stuff like this happens to other brands. Water leaks are not uncommon. It's not just a Tesla thing. If it's a seal, which it most likely is, they'll care of it. I'd more weary of an electrical problem with a car since they can be a pain to chase down.

I really didn't want to post this. I love the Model Y, it's a great car and I really love Tesla.

You love the idea and specs of the Y but can't possibly love the Y at this point. It obviously has many design flaws. Part of design is "designing for manufacturability". If they can't manufacturer these thing flawlessly the vast majority of the time then the design is bad. It requires precision just not capable by their equipment and processes.

In before the my car doesn’t leak like that posts and a majority of the cars don’t have this problem.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Sealing glass at the factory is a robotic operation. If tesla is having glass sealing issues, then someone needs to be fired because that’s like dropping a ball covered with glue. It’s incompetence at the highest level and QC control at the lowest.

Early in the year, I saw a video by an English youtuber who had this problem with his 3. Since service couldn't duplicate it, they said "it's in spec"! I don't know what ever happened with him...