Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question from potential new owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it was hard to find in their rental fleet. And the rental rates were high. So I think it was used for special events, TV shows, and other things where it was probably taken care of (mostly). It isn't the car you would rent to use for some dirty hauling job. It probably got "detailed" a lot for numerous photo ops.

donlen-hertz-tesla-roadster-1.jpg

Well, the car is impeccable, and frankly if it is this exact car mentioned, that's kind of cool; to own a car that was featured on various TV shows gives it a neat backstory.

The car is so impeccably clean, that I'm hoping it was just one the ones rented for TV shows and special events. It would be cool if it's the exact same car as shown in this video:

StuntBusters asks, Which is faster, EV or ICE?

I kind of hope it is, because it gives the vehicle a neat backstory and, man, it's fun to see it 'spanking' the Porsche in that video (assuming that's not faked too).

So, anybody have any ideas how I can figure out whether 'my car' is the same car as was in the Stunt Busters and Storage Hunters shows? It would be kind of cool if it was. I guess there is really no way to know for sure.

Last edited:
TEG is extremely credible when it comes down history or unknown / unfounded knowledge on a Roadster. I compared the ads, car, and the random enterprise/storage leads (since I've followed them before) and from what I can see its the same exact car. The Carfax report TEG provided should soundly confirm it if indeed that's the same exact VIN on your Roadster (which I'm sure it is since its provided in the ad.)

Nice ride! i

TEG is extremely credible when it comes down history or unknown / unfounded knowledge on a Roadster. I compared the ads, car, and the random enterprise/storage leads (since I've followed them before) and from what I can see its the same exact car. The Carfax report TEG provided should soundly confirm it if indeed that's the same exact VIN on your Roadster (which I'm sure it is since its provided in the ad.)

Nice ride! i

Yeah, normally buying a 'rental' used car decreases its value but, frankly, if it can be proven that this is the same car as was in a couple of TV shows and it was meticulously maintained (as it appears to have been) then it's probably just the opposite. It sure makes for a cool back-story for the car I gotta say.

This little sticker was the "giveaway" for me:
hertz1.png

Fairly sure that was the Hertz rental car bar code (since removed I think). That, and one in the front windshield were spotted in various shows.
I think a Fusion Red Sport with black hardtop could be unique (or at least very rare) as well.

Wow, I just realized something. This is a one owner vehicle. The sticker price was $149k. I'm assuming he must have paid sticker? What big discounts were there?

That means the original owner likely ate $90,000 of depreciation for the privilege of driving this car for the first 18,000 miles!
Any car with that high of an MSRP is going to have a huge amount of initial depreciation and a very small resale market. I bought a five-year-old BMW 760Li (the V-12) with every single option; radar cruise control, night vision, four-zone a/c, and a refrigerator in the rear. I paid $124,000 less than the sticker price. This has been my plan for years; buy a "bucket-list" car at the vertice of the depreciation curve, drive it for a year, and sell with little or no loss of value. The only problem is that I tend to fall in love with the cars and don't want to let them go after a year. At at two years with my Roadster.

>>This has been my plan for years; buy a "bucket-list" car at the vertice of the depreciation curve, drive it for a year, and sell with little or no loss of value.

Yes, that has been my strategy as well. My last two cars I have actually bought them, drove them, and sold them for more than I paid. A fellow could get used to that....

So, I flew down to Florida yesterday to check out my new car. This is the first time I have ever even seen a Roadster in real life.

My first reaction is that I couldn't believe how much more beautiful the car looks in person than just from photographs. It is definitely a special looking car with a real exotic appeal.

Living in St. Louis Missouri, this car will be extremely rare.

I was also amazed at how clean this car is. It only has 18,000 miles on it but, frankly, it didn't look like it even had one mile!

It's still going to be a couple of weeks until it's sitting in my garage, but I am now extremely satisfied that I made the right buying decision.

Attachments

• IMG_20160408_130418.jpg
    IMG_20160408_130418.jpg
    838 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: MileHighMotoring
Ok, now my first technical question. The car only comes with a 110 adapter, which I know takes a long time to recharge. However, I can't think of any use case where I would ever need to charge the car quickly; since it's just a weekend/nice day pleasure vehicle.

Is there a strong reason to get the 220 adapter, as I don't have 220 currently available in my garage and I would have to do some electrical work to make that happen.

If I do, are there used/aftermarket ones available?

Well first congrats on getting the slower roadster (i.e. not blue one)!!! :)
Your red looks gorgeous and I don't know if you realize it, but getting a Sport and the double-DIN radio is a really nice bonus for this price.
You got a really sweat deal!

As for charging, 220/240V charging is important if you want your battery to cool down while charging...and cooling helps keeping it healthy.
Also, if you wish to take it for two long drives over the week-end, charging on 110V may not be so convenient if you run it down very low...
It takes more than 24 hours to fill up at that rate!

Enjoy!!!

Yeah, I ordered the model-s mobile 220 charger and the Roadster adapter, so I will be able to charge at home, at RV parks, and at destination chargers.

Which Roadster Adapter are you talking about? The CAN from Henry Sharp? I presume the CAN SR. since you indicated you picked up a Model S mobile charger.... If you haven't picked up the CAN JR, I'd do that one as well. It'd be my first adapter really since there's J1772 chargers everywhere now adays.

Spending $1,500 so I don't ever have to buy gas seems counterintuitive, but I guess that's just how it works.

Yes and no. More chargers/adapters offer more convenience. A dedicated home charger and connection you do need. My roadster came with the Tesla Roadster MC240 / 220v mobile charger as well as the 110v when I bought it with 3k. By the way, I'd only charge at home using a 220v, 30AMP or higher connection so that the battery can properly balance.... I view that buying all these adapters/chargers, that the value or investment is not 100% lost after its initial use. Unlike gasoline, the chargers/adapters still have a worth or value that you can recoop. For example, if you ever decide to sell the Roadster, the vehicle is worth more and more appealing to the buyer when it includes these chargers/adapters. I can elect to sell the chargers/adapters if I wish in the used market to recover some of my money on the original purchase, again unlike gas unless you drain the last tank of fuel before selling your ICE.

Lastly I wouldn't use your Model S Mobile adapter as a dedicated home charging solution for your roadster. Its not a robust charger. Its great for trips, I keep one permanently stashed in the trunk of my roadster along with both CANs and some misc charging adapter. Its super compact which I enjoy since trunk / cabin space can run out on the roadster fast when you do a roadtrip. At minimum I'd pick up the Model S dedicated/home charger. I use a JuiceBox charger at home with a Roadster HPWC (high powered wall charger) charging cable with the roadster connection/end I found on Craigslist for a deal. It has a 30ft long cable and its very thick, lots of copper! I also own a Roadster HPWC, made by Clipper Creek for Tesla, that was only a few times. They're built like a tank but big. I ended up not using / going with that since the Juicebox, which is way more compact, is also built to high quality standards, but can charge up to 80amps if I desire (given I have the proper feed / wiring to source from). My Juicebox is dialed to pull a max of 40 amps since my wiring/breaker is rated for 50amps. And even then I charge every day at 30amps, which is found to be more grid friendly and the most efficient rate of charge.

Last edited:
So, I got my car now and have been driving it a couple of days.

My initial reaction is that getting in and out of the car is a challenge; particularly getting out.

Visibility is 'ok' but could be much better.

It's a lot of fun 0-60, but once you are going over that speed, it doesn't seem to have a lot of performance left. Which is quite a contrast to all of the other sports cars I have owned.

On a full 'range' charge, it shows an ideal range of 212 miles, but actually available driving miles, around 165. I don't know yet if this is 'good' or 'bad' for a 2010 model with 18,000 miles. I'm taking it in for annual service next Thursday, so I'm sure I will learn more about the status of the battery then.

Probably my biggest single complaint is the steering wheel. It feels extremely cheap, like a cheap plastic toy. That's like the single most important point of contact between driver and car, and you would think they would have done something better than that.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Congrats on getting your Roadster home!

For getting in and out, have you seen this video?

Your full range miles might improve if you charge on 240v and drive it often as the pack becomes more balanced. I assume the 165 miles you mentioned is "estimated" miles. That changes depending on how you drive it. A lot of high speed driving and fast acceleration will bring it down. Driving like the EPA under the right conditions will often result in more estimated real-world miles than your 212 ideal miles.

I'm surprised you find the steering wheel feels cheap. I like it. It has a very solid feel.

Getting out is never "graceful" but it does get better with experience. I think that's quite reasonable battery health.

The steering wheel is direct from the Lotus Elise. I believe it's MOMO brand, which outfits Ferrari as well (or at least did in the past). It can be wrapped with all manner of gourmet materials to suit your desires and many in the Lotus and Tesla world have done that to their wheels.

On a full 'range' charge, it shows an ideal range of 212 miles, but actually available driving miles, around 165. I don't know yet if this is 'good' or 'bad' for a 2010 model with 18,000 miles. I'm taking it in for annual service next Thursday, so I'm sure I will learn more about the status of the battery then.

So, doing a full charge in Range mode giving 212 miles is good; I have about the same, 2010 with about 30k mi. But 165 sounds like the same full charge when in Standard mode (I too have about the same).

As you're driving around, the Ideal miles should (ideally) reflect how much range you still have, within the context of the mode (Range or Standard) you're running in. The difference is a result of Tesla hiding more or less of the theoretical battery capacity at the top and bottom ends, with Standard mode hiding more, and as a result being better for long term battery health. Full charge and almost empty are the stressful zones, so keeping the battery in the middle (hiding more of the top and bottom) is better.

You will also see an estimated range, which along with the mode is based on the last 40 miles of actual travel. In practice, unless you're doing a lot of the same driving, this will always be either significantly high or significantly low, and I pretty much ignore it.

So, I got my car now and have been driving it a couple of days.

My initial reaction is that getting in and out of the car is a challenge; particularly getting out.

Visibility is 'ok' but could be much better.

It's a lot of fun 0-60, but once you are going over that speed, it doesn't seem to have a lot of performance left. Which is quite a contrast to all of the other sports cars I have owned.

Probably my biggest single complaint is the steering wheel. It feels extremely cheap, like a cheap plastic toy. That's like the single most important point of contact between driver and car, and you would think they would have done something better than that.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Did you pull the logs and get the CAC when you purchased the car? 212 miles in range mode seems awfully low for that age and mileage on the car.