Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question from potential new owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, a 2.5k repair bill doesn't worry me that much. It was when I heard numbers like 8k to 30k that got me really nervous. You are correct that the Alfa could have tons of unexpected maintenance costs; but that's why I would only consider buying a brand new one with the full warranty.

These responses have helped. You are correct that running through the gears on a powerful sports car is, indeed, fun, but that is a kind of fun I have experienced my entire life already; from my current Acura NSX to my Porsche and twin-turbo RX7's.

I'm ready to have the new experience of the Roadster. I've driven and ridden in a Tesla Model S, so I'm familiar with the type of acceleration you get from the all electric vehicle (not to mention stints in an electric powered go-kart).

If the likely risk for repairs on a Roadster are under 5k; that doesn't concern me that much.

These responses have helped. You are correct that running through the gears on a powerful sports car is, indeed, fun, but that is a kind of fun I have experienced my entire life already; from my current Acura NSX to my Porsche and twin-turbo RX7's.

I've not had quite the variety of sports car experience that you have (240Z, Integra GS-R), since I tend to hang on to my cars for 15+ years, but I also really enjoyed the feel and control that a manual transmission gives. Just one data point, but for me the Roadster's feel is even better. Hard to describe, but you really become one with the car. The Model S is a great experience too, but not the same.

Habious, I'm sorry for all of your difficulties, but I've never heard of Tesla offering a refurbished PEM for $2.5k. That's a great improvement. That's also great that they carted your battery back to the factory to fix it for you.

I'm in the process of going through a PEM replacement right now (my Roadster is at the Tyco Road Service Center, in VA).

Prices I got quoted were:

New PEM: $8K
Refurb PEM: $2.5K

I've also had the unfortunate experience to "enjoy" having my battery pack go *poof, requiring TSC to pull the pack, and send it back to the mothership in CA for refurbishment. That was, if I recall, around $4.5K.

Thanks, pretty psyched about that car. Very weird experience car shopping when there are only like 2 vehicles in the entire country that match your search criteria. I'm hoping the low-mileage sport model holds its value the best; avoiding depreciation is a key factor in my buying decision. The price was $69,800; so getting a low mileage sport under 70k felt like a 'good deal' to me.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Congrats, and welcome! Looks like you found quite a gem. And it's even RED!

The blue ones are statistically shown to be noticeably faster. :)

Thanks, pretty psyched about that car. Very weird experience car shopping when there are only like 2 vehicles in the entire country that match your search criteria. I'm hoping the low-mileage sport model holds its value the best; avoiding depreciation is a key factor in my buying decision. The price was $69,800; so getting a low mileage sport under 70k felt like a 'good deal' to me.

When I bought mine, I had a whopping 7 Roadsters (total...all models) to choose from...across the US. If I remember correctly, the one I bought was the only 2.5 for sale at the time (which is what I wanted).

Finding a 2.5 in the color you want is hard. That's one of the reasons I bought a new one. I have a friend who's been trying to find a 2.5 Roadster in red or yellow and he told me recently that there's usually 8 or less Roadsters for sale at any given time and usually only 1 or 2 of them are 2.5s. I'll have to ask him if he saw this one.

I have been doing a fair amount of research on the Tesla Roadster and I'm now almost completely certain that it is going to be the next car I buy. I really only have one big concern, one that I'm hoping owners could help answer for me.

The thing is, I have never actually even seen a Tesla Roadster in real life; only pictures. My concern is primarily about what it feels to sit in it.

1. I am no stranger to small cars. Here is a picture of me standing next to one of my recent vehicles; a Beck 550.

P1019206.JPG

It's kind of hard to get much smaller than that. I'm not that tall of a guy either, I'm only 5' 11", that car is really just that small. You may notice that even in that tiny car, the driver has a full 360 field of view all around him, and he sits well up and has great visibility.

In fact, one of the main reasons I love convertibles so much is how you feel connected to the outside world in all directions; so much so that I now practically feel claustrophobic in a coup.

Since I have never seen a Tesla Roadster in real life, I just can't tell if it has a visibility problem or not or, if so, how uncomfortable it is.

The only reference I have is to the Lotus Elise. The one time I ever sat in a Lotus Elise I really, really, did not like it. For a 'convertible' it had horrible visibility and, quite frankly, it felt like I was stepping into a coffin as I sank into it. I have never felt to 'enclosed' and 'blinded' in a convertible in my life.

I see that the Tesla Roadster has a large cowl behind the driver, and I'm afraid it too feels very closed in?

Thanks,

John
I loved my roadster, 2011, loaded

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 40
Ok, now my first technical question. The car only comes with a 110 adapter, which I know takes a long time to recharge. However, I can't think of any use case where I would ever need to charge the car quickly; since it's just a weekend/nice day pleasure vehicle.

Is there a strong reason to get the 220 adapter, as I don't have 220 currently available in my garage and I would have to do some electrical work to make that happen.

If I do, are there used/aftermarket ones available?

Ok, now my first technical question. The car only comes with a 110 adapter, which I know takes a long time to recharge. However, I can't think of any use case where I would ever need to charge the car quickly; since it's just a weekend/nice day pleasure vehicle.

Is there a strong reason to get the 220 adapter, as I don't have 220 currently available in my garage and I would have to do some electrical work to make that happen.

If I do, are there used/aftermarket ones available?

Great question.

I moved last summer and now commute about 55 miles round trip per day. I have not yet run 220 to the new garage and have not had an issue using 110 exclusively. You will get about 4 miles of range per hour charging.

220 is slightly more efficient (but based on your planned usage wouldn't make a significant cost difference).

When my Tesla — Roadster Universal Mobile Connector - Available in North America Only died, I bought one of these OpenEVSE Kit - 50A Value for about $250. You would also need one of Henry's CAN JR adapters (The CAN - Roadster to J1772 or Model S/X connector) since you don't have a Roadster connector (unless you can find someone with a dead UMC and cannibalize it).

There are various other aftermarket options, or you could buy a $750 Tesla — Wall Connector and use Henry's CAN SR adapter.

Last edited:
Wow, I just realized something. This is a one owner vehicle. The sticker price was $149k. I'm assuming he must have paid sticker? What big discounts were there?

At any rate, I'm buying it from a dealer for $70k. The dealer gets trade-ins that Tesla takes. So, let's assume that the dealer is (modestly) going to make $10k on the sale to me.

That means the original owner likely ate $90,000 of depreciation for the privilege of driving this car for the first 18,000 miles!

That's literally insane to me.

I'm going to pay $70k for it, drive it for say three years and, worst case scenario, sell it for $60k? More likely it will still be worth 70k after I drive it 3 years; because they sure aren't making any new Tesla Roader Sport 2.5 models any more!

It's not so much the mileage that caused the depreciation, but time and the market. I really believe that the prices have stabilized; I bought my 2.0 non-sport Roadster with 28k miles on it a year ago for a little less than you paid, so I believe that's about the going rate for a good deal. You can certainly pay more (saw several at about $100k around the same time, though with a lot of bling attached). That's the equivalent of the $20K+ you would have lost with the alternative car you were considering, but at a higher starting point on the curve.

As for charging attachments, my car came with the 240v Mobile thingy (um, UMC), and the 120v, and I used the 120v for a while until I made effectively a 24A "outlet strip" for the dryer plug. It's just more convenient, where the plug is, and that it charges faster (20-ish miles range per hour charge), but I could live with either. My entire house mains are only 125A, so putting in anything faster would become very expensive, and totally unnecessary.

But you might consider getting a set of Henry Sharp's "CAN adapters". There's one for the "Level 2" public charging (aka J1772), and one that lets you charge from the standard Model S ports (not the super ones). The L2 charging is usually at that 20mi/hr charge rate, which is very useful if you're stopping for a meal or a bit of shopping, or as I do, at work. The Model S adapter can be used at a number of "destination" outlets such as at hotels and restaurants. They're well built, not that expensive, portable (my CAN-JR sits in the cup holder), and between them, you're pretty much covered. Check out the charging maps at PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car! and see what's available in your area.

Wow, I just realized something. This is a one owner vehicle. The sticker price was $149k. I'm assuming he must have paid sticker? What big discounts were there?...

Umm, why do you think one owner? CarFax says 2 previous owners.
And I think the first one may have been Hertz rental cars in Los Angeles...

I think that Roadster was made "famous" being featured in the TV show "Storage Hunters":
Tesla Roadster "found" in shipping container on TV show "Storage Hunters"
Hertz rental sightings at events and shows

1005cf.png

Yeah, that is surprising. The dealer did not reveal that to me, and I'm talking to them about it now. I'm going to guess that is why the asking price was about 7k less than most low mileage sports are going for.

The car looks impeccably clean, and the carfax is clear other than the fact that it must have been a rental. It's not like a normal sports car where you can really f**k it up with an inexperienced or abusive driver.

It was difficult finding this exact car, and I am still happy with the price. Plus, it's an interesting backstory if it was actually used in a couple of TV shows.