Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about supercharing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@cwerdna , LOL, thx for clarifying kw vs kWh for a noob like me :) Yah, now I understand better. I charged at Lazy dog restaurant in Newark, I remember I saw something like 50kw or 50kwh, don't really remember. Now you clarify it, more likely 50kw
Sounds like Newark, CA Supercharger | Tesla which are up to 72 kW output.

You should be able to view the energy dispensed in your Supercharger usage history. Since I don't have a Tesla, I can't accurately say what else might be in there. While charging, in both your car and the Tesla app, it should tell you the charging rate (in kW and "miles per hour"). Your car should also indicate how many kWh were added (not sure about the app, but I'd think so) and/or how many "miles" were added.

I will need to defer to someone else w/more knowledge. (I've been driving pure BEVs since end of July 2013 and have no more ICEVs (internal combustion engine vehicles) as of almost 2 years ago. I have experience w/other charging networks (e.g. ChargePoint (a LOT), EVgo (some) and Electrify America (a little).)

@jcanoe , thx a lot for the info. The supercharging station near where I live is urban supercharge station, it's 50kwh. So, I am good to use it frequently then. Again, very helpful information. Yah, I can charge from home, but why pay money to PG&E where I can get it free from Tesla :)
Use the Urban SuperCharger (SC) station near where you live when it is convenient for you to do so. I would also plan to charge at home as that is one of the most satisfying, life simplifying, aspects of owning an EV. I'm not familiar with 50kW being the maximum charging rate for an Urban SC. While using a SC the Tesla charging screen will display the charging rate.

I don't know if Tesla tracks more than the total kWh added to the battery pack via using a SC, over time, in determining when a battery pack needs to be nerfed (limited in maximum charging rate by Tesla for any future Supercharging.) Considering the range of maximum power levels available at Tesla SuperCharger stations (72kWh up to 250kWh) the lower 72kW maximum charging rate of an Urban Supercharger is going to be less stressful for the battery than the higher charging rates.

Hello my fellow Tesla owners, since I get 1year free supercharging, I intend to use it all the time. I know in the early days, supercharging could be bad for the battery.
But now with advanced Tesla BMS, I would imagine BMS will throttle the electric current if it detects the battery is hot.
Or it doesn't. Do we need to worry about frequent supercharging nowadays?

Thx guys,

Ive only used super chargers since I bought my car in September and have had no issues. I normally charged my previous 3 at work and supercharged like 4 times a month, I don’t have charging at home and we’re remote. No issues at all, no mileage lost , nothing ....

Hello my fellow Tesla owners, since I get 1year free supercharging, I intend to use it all the time. I know in the early days, supercharging could be bad for the battery.
But now with advanced Tesla BMS, I would imagine BMS will throttle the electric current if it detects the battery is hot.
Or it doesn't. Do we need to worry about frequent supercharging nowadays?

Thx guys,
Only thing I’ll say is send the supercharger address to your gps prior to arrival so it can prepare the battery for supercharging. Otherwise, don’t worry. Enjoy your free supercharging....it’s expensive!

There is a forum post around here somewhere that predates that video. I can’t find it, but that’s where my screenshot came from.

100 packs have seen charging speed reductions, as well. Many 100 owners found themselves limited to 108 kW after having their cars for a while. A recent software update lifted that cap but only at low states of charge. We need more time to see the full effects of the new software on these cars.

Thinking about my own situation some more, I’d increase my estimate to say 2/3 of our charging is DC fast charging. This leads me to believe that the Model 3 doesn’t start throttling charging speed until much later in the car’s lift, compared to the 75D example above. I’ve noticed our speeds slowly reducing for the past 20,000 - 40,000 miles. I haven’t been documenting it closely and I’m not sure if there have been any fleet-wide changes to the charging curve during that time.

I have some data from a recent road trip that I’ll share in one of @Zoomit’s charging speed threads. Also, to be clear, I’m not complaining (yet), as the car still charges plenty fast for road trips; it still charges faster than the ID.3 Björn is testing. Hopefully that continues to be the case.

Finally, speculating on the Y: I expect it to behave similarly to or better than my 2018 Model 3. I expect people to get full speed charging until they’ve added 15,000 - 25,000 kWh DC, at which point speeds will be reduced, but still very usable.

Just wanted to provide an update that my charging speeds have returned to normal. 101,000 miles and counting.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce