Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q2 2013 Results - Expectations and Projection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, awesome post. Haven't we really established that the run rate is 550/wk now? 23,000 seems like its in the bag. I get your logic of them not wanting to over commit, so they may actually not raise guidance.

Yep I agree 23k deliveries in 2013 is very doable (barring any unforeseen production or supply issues). Maybe 24,000. But if I was Tesla management, I would give guidance that I could confidently beat... thus 22,000 guidance for 2013. If I thought I could deliver 24,000 confidently, I might raise guidance to 23,000. But that would be a huge sign of confidence from Tesla.

Yep I agree 23k deliveries in 2013 is very likely. Maybe 24,000. But if I was Tesla management, I would give guidance that I could confidently beat... thus 22,000 guidance for 2013. If I thought I could deliver 24,000 confidently, I might raise guidance to 23,000. But that would be a huge sign of confidence from Tesla.

Yeah, I think new guidance of 22,000, but will probably do 24,000.

I am pretty sure their run rate at the time my 2nd factory tour (teslive time!) is at 600/week!

Do we know if that's their sustainable number? From what I understood some weeks they do better than others...They have to shut things down to make changes for one reason or another, retool, maintenance, etc. I thought ~500 a week was their latest "sustainable" number.

I'm probably wrong.

Do we know if that's their sustainable number? From what I understood some weeks they do better than others...They have to shut things down to make changes for one reason or another, retool, maintenance, etc. I thought ~500 a week was their latest "sustainable" number.

I'm probably wrong.

You may be right, at least partly. 500/week may be closer to their "sustainable" number. So, if we can agree that 500/week is the minimum from now on, and we can also agree on 10,000 cars produced (give or take); then going on Dave's 12 weeks production per Quarter, that is still 22,000 cars minimum.

My guess would be they will give guidance of more than that.

Why?
I see all displays showing 600/week, 60/shift with total, target, and actual number achieved.

Can you share more in detail what you saw and also what day (ie., friday, saturday or sunday, what time of day)?

I heard from someone on the Friday late afternoon tour during Teslive weekend, that they saw a sign with 440 cars made out of the 550 week goal.

Can you share more in detail what you saw and also what day (ie., friday, saturday or sunday, what time of day)?

I heard from someone on the Friday late afternoon tour during Teslive weekend, that they saw a sign with 440 cars made out of the 550 week goal.

Dave, if Tesla are running two 8 hour shifts; do you know what their shift times are and therefore how much of the week was left?

Dave, if Tesla are running two 8 hour shifts; do you know what their shift times are and therefore how much of the week was left?

It's all a fog, but I vaguely recall hearing in a factory tour that the early shift started super early in the morning (something like 3 or 4am, can't recall exact time), and the second shift started later in the morning (can't recall exact time, but something like 9 or 10am). But those numbers don't seem to work out because shifts should be 8 hours or so (shows how foggy my memory is of those stats). Anyway, hopefully if anyone knows the exact time, they can share them here.

I also vaguely recall hearing they're working Mon-Fri.

Thanks Dave. If the 440 number was correct I was just trying to work out if that was about it for that week or they would have got closer to 500. Hopefully someone can enlighten us with shift times.

It appeared the 440 number wasn't the final count of the week because people were still hard at work late into the afternoon. I would imagine they got over 500 for the week, but not sure if they could have reached the 550 target (but this is complete conjecture).

My take: I think these are very good earnings, but not blowout (considering the high expectations people have at the moment).

This is the rub: Very good may not be good enough considering where expectations are. Whisper numbers for production, profit margin, and revenue are all higher than Tesla has stated publicly, and even we who have previously predicted higher than Tesla's expectations are not going above what I think general expectations are. No-one seems to be saying 5500 cars or more than 15% profit margins or more than $600m in revenue.

I getting tempted to hedge my long term holdings.