Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purposely Delayed Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Referencing my post in the finalize thread, my wife and I are trying to find out whether Tesla could possibly hold off on delivering the car for a period of more than 30 days depending on when it is completed. We're both military and could possibly be deployed (and currently all delivery windows tesla thinks we will have include a chunk of time that we are scheduled to be deployed). My full thinking-out-loud on the situation is on the finalize thread page 203.

I'm curious if anyone out there who has received their Model S has had Tesla delay their Model S delivery or Factory pick up (what we would be doing) for a period of more than 30 days (at most we would probably be looking at 60 days) to better suit their availability for picking up the car (maybe you had a business trip, family vacation, or situation similar to us)? I'm just curious if there are any precedents out there that I could reference with Tesla. You can PM me if you don't want to publicize it.

We really don't want to have a friend do delivery for us. We're really looking forward to the opportunity to pick up the car from the factory, and under the situation where we are deployed when the car gets ready, we were hoping it could sit in the lot at the factory and wait for us to come get it. When we reserved we thought there was no way it would be ready this fast!

Contact your DS if one has been assigned. I was to have taken delivery 1/25-2/8. Due to an upcoming business trip this is no longer feasible. I am in contact with my DS and trying to work out a new delivery date.

I was on the phone with Tesla about 30 minutes ago and mentioned this person's situation. The person indicated that Tesla became aware of the fact that the husband and wife expect to be deployed when the new (earlier) delivery date for their car was announced, and that Tesla is looking into how best to delay delivery until they return to the U.S.

I hope Tesla is able to work something out for our military personnel.

All, Thanks for the advice. Swegman-that is interesting. I had called right after I got my finalize email. The response I got was basically what I put in the post. One guy said he didn't know of any other way of doing it other than just having someone else pick the car up, but he was going to look into it more. He said he'd get back to me in 2 hours. I called back the next day cuz he hadn't called (I wasn't surprised it took longer to get an answer), and he was on the phone. So I talked to another rep who didn't think there would be another option for me. But, I'm still waiting to hear back from them, and it seems like they are talking behind the scenes to work something. Thanks again to all of you. Still standing by to push the button to try and get the right timing, and the wife's ok on which way to gamble on the timing.

I mentioned your situation in connection with some concerns I have with the order process. During our discussion, I noted that I saw your situation on this forum, and it would paint Tesla in a good light if they were able to show some understanding for a military family. The person acknowledged that and said they were looking into how best to delay delivery, or whether your car could be shifted to another buyer and another one built for you, or something else. Keep us informed what happens, good luck, and be safe wherever you are being sent to.

Here is my biggest fear. The dates they are telling everyone are wrong, and because they are saying Feb/March are actually June/July (which in my current situation I would actually be around for). Now because I am stuck not knowing whether I'll be around when it's ready, and they haven't said whether they will hold it for me, I am falling back in line and June/July will slip into Oct/Nov. We're currently on one vehicle so it does make a difference. I fear that if I wait until the end of my window, 11 Feb, they will have asked all 2012 reservation holders to finalize and I will have fallen 100% to the back of the line. They figure somehow that I will still see a March/April if I wait, but I can see that actually not being even close if they do invite all 17000 to finalize before the end of my 30 day window. It's a gamble, I'll probably make my decision by tomorrow, but it would be nice to hear back from the guy at Tesla who told me he would get back to me...

also, I'm afraid these estimates don't include 60/40 and non AIr suspension comin online, which would make their date estimates truly messed up.