Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing 2018 M3 Mid range from vroom or carvana

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Mid range models have good price on Vroom and Carvana.
Searching here i found those models have Premium Audio and interior, like M3 long range.
Is there any downside purchasing this specific model from online sellers?

With Carvana (I only know with them since I bought a car recently from them), you can return it within a week if there are unexpected issues. Also, since you don't get to see it in person (it gets delivered to your place), if there are any defects/issues, you can take pictures of it and request them to fix it. They can either accept it or decline. If they decline and you're not happy with it, you can just return within that 7 day period.

With that being said, there most likely will be scratches/dings/etc (it's a used car) that you don't know about until it's delivered. So have that expectation so you're not shocked when the car arrives.

• Informative
Reactions: puckpurnell
As a discontinued (not limited edition) mid range owner, you’ll never know when/if you get range or speed upgrades since Tesla doesn’t list MR stats in patch notes. You also can’t compare the price you paid with other new/used cars easily. This can be positive or negative.

I think used cars from Tesla are a much better deal. They enable FSD on most of the cars I saw which will have a better resale value compared to a car that doesn't have it. There is a MR 3 with FSD and 14k miles for $39,900. And a LR RWD for $43k with FSD. These have remaining warranty + additional 10k miles.

Reactions: puckpurnell
As a discontinued (not limited edition) mid range owner, you’ll never know when/if you get range or speed upgrades since Tesla doesn’t list MR stats in patch notes. You also can’t compare the price you paid with other new/used cars easily. This can be positive or negative.

I'm a LeMR owner and I'd say it's safe to say no more range or speed upgrades are coming. He alluded to an acceleration boost but it's been a while and I doubt it will ever happen. Regardless the LeMR was a great purchase sweet spot particularly because the $7500 tax credit was still active when I took delivery.

I'm a LeMR owner and I'd say it's safe to say no more range or speed upgrades are coming. He alluded to an acceleration boost but it's been a while and I doubt it will ever happen. Regardless the LeMR was a great purchase sweet spot particularly because the $7500 tax credit was still active when I took delivery.

By my calculations, the only thing keeping me “up” after Tesla’s price drops was taking advantage of ap+fsd for $5k total. This is including the $7500 federal tax credit.

The new model 3 refresh w the increased range on SR+ to match MR (again not limited edition) finally puts me behind.

This is of course because we paid more for premium interior including glass roof and center console that the SR was not supposed to have but I guess that’s a whole other thread.

But yes my point is if cars get acceleration or efficiency boosts from software, MR is usually not included in those patch notes even if we do get it.

I still get almost $6k in EV incentives, making the net cost on an SR+ 31990. Unless a used model 3 is below $30k (which it is far from being), I won't be buying used.

Which is too bad .. I think I would have already bought a model 3 if I could pick one up for 27 or something. Also I would like one in silver instead of MSM. But the used market right now is insane..

I do think it is a genius business model for Tesla to bring in used Teslas, then "install software" for FSD making the car a better bargain while pricing it higher than what they took it in for ... but I don't need FSD so the value proposition doesn't apply for me.

Reactions: T-Will
FWIW, my medium range single motor started out around 260 miles range, and after two years charges up to around 250, so I guess it's like a new SR+, but it shouldn't degrade as fast from here. Call it "broken in". It seems that late 2018 builds didn't have a lot of paint and body issues; mine had none. The little "premium" touches like the "leather" steering wheel, hooks, mats, seat heaters, and of course the sound system, are a little more high-end than what I've seen of the SR+. I checked and Carvana offered a silly $34k, I have more left on the loan than that.

Last edited:
By my calculations, the only thing keeping me “up” after Tesla’s price drops was taking advantage of ap+fsd for $5k total. This is including the $7500 federal tax credit.

The new model 3 refresh w the increased range on SR+ to match MR (again not limited edition) finally puts me behind.

This is of course because we paid more for premium interior including glass roof and center console that the SR was not supposed to have but I guess that’s a whole other thread.

But yes my point is if cars get acceleration or efficiency boosts from software, MR is usually not included in those patch notes even if we do get it.

At some point you have to end the calculations and just enjoy the car, even if your not up your still close and were able to enjoy the car for two years. In my opinion I've been "up" for longer than most cars I've owned.