Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchase of inventory car, your experience/thoughts? Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately Jerome vetoed my purchase of the inventory car (sending him coal for Christmas) :tongue: Apparently Tesla is spending 15k/wk at Enterprise so the display cars will be placed as service loaners for 90 days in addition to the 90 day rotation at the stores.

While I can't fault the logic, I'm now stuck waiting till September for my new baby to arrive. Here comes the dreadful wit experienced by so many.

Unfortunately Jerome vetoed my purchase of the inventory car (sending him coal for Christmas) :tongue: Apparently Tesla is spending 15k/wk at Enterprise so the display cars will be placed as service loaners for 90 days in addition to the 90 day rotation at the stores.

While I can't fault the logic, I'm now stuck waiting till September for my new baby to arrive. Here comes the dreadful wit experienced by so many.

Are you saying the inventory car you were offered had not met its 90 day loaner, or rotation, status?

I'm curious, are others being offered inventory cars after putting in an order for a new one? I would think Tesla would cool off on contacting me, if they knew I was in the cue? So far, I've found out about 4, but the timing wasn't right. Soon, orders could be out to October. Yuck.

Mine wasn't exactly an inventory vehicle, but I bought it after someone owned it for a year and put 10k miles on it, which deducted nearly $30k off what it would have been. I have absolutely no regrets going with something pre-owned.

That is good to hear in its own right! It is important to build confidence in the aftermarket for these cars!

[My 1,000th post, yay! I am officially an "elder" :wink:]

Same thing happened to me. Found a P85+ in mid June with about 5,000 miles on it that was told would be released for sale on July 10th. I asked how I could assure that I would be first in line to purchase on July 10th and the OA emailed me after I left the store suggesting I put in an order for a custom built car and then they could just transfer the deposit to the inventory car when it was released.

I decided to put in my order based on that advice and afterwards I received minimal communication from my OA and I had to follow up for information on the inventory car repeatedly. Release day came and my OA was no where to be found, so I drove to the Fremont store and was told by a different OA that Tesla will not be releasing any "test" cars in the immediate future due to policy change from the top. Would have been nice if someone had communicated that to me as I had indicated in numerous emails to my OA of my intent to transfer the deposit to the inventory car.

Moral of the story is don't put down a deposit until the inventory car is actually available if you really want an inventory car as all followup will cease. And don't delay confirming your order if you want a new one as it will just increase your wait. Added at least two weeks to my wait!

There is an inventory car that I have been after that seems to have simply disappeared out of their system. I have my deposit down (with a differed order, no configuration has been finalized for me yet), but the car has vanished, and my OA has no idea what happened to it. It does not show as sold or on hold or anything, it just vanished from the system. I think that Tesla may be simply making up the rules as they go along with how the dispose of their inventory cars so that they can meet their current inventory and service fleet needs.