Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchase ex Hire Car Tesla from Germany

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm looking to buy a used Tesla Y long range here in Switzerland.

The dealer I'm looking at has some used Model Y cars at a reasonable price... I saw them all before they were cleaned and obviously they've come from Sixt car hire in Germany. I'm wondering whether this is a bad thing.. or possibly a good thing?

Car I'm interested in is a Long Range, from Nov 2022. 15k Kilometers... Looks in good condition cosmetically.

My rationale would be that on the positive side a hire car tends to look after the car well with servicing, and that most of the journeys are long range autobahn type journeys which should be OK for the battery and mechanics..

On the other hand, I'd expect them to have been driven very fast (german roads) used quite agressively, and probably not had great battery practices (charged to 100%, Superchargers, and sometimes run down to near 0%)

Does anyone have any experiences with ex hire teslas or thoughts on whether I should stay away from them!

Thanks in advance, Bernard.

No first hand experience with buying a former rental, But with the cars itself, since I used to work in a SeC back in Germany.

Generally spoken, I'd steer clear from it unless you really really need to have the lowest price possible. Most renters are unexperienced with EVs and Tesla in specific or rent those ones specifically to experience the acceleration and therefore they can be a bit rough on the car. You can easily expect the car to be beaten harder than from a private customer, both in suspension and brake wear and battery health. Also they see the use of a portal car wash much more regular as a car in private hand would, which means the paint may be more scratched or worn than others. Sixt (and all the others too) send their cars in for Service regularly but what is not broken of course doesn't get fixed.