Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collection of ex demo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Collected my M3P yesterday - love the car! An ex demo with 1k on the clock.

I do feel a bit frustrated, as I feel like there was a lack of communication between the Tesla logistics and the store. The collection point didn't even know if my car was there. When they realised they did have the car, I was asked to wait whilst they prepared it.

I had a good look around and noticed several minor blemishes such as stone chips and very fine but large surface area scratches around a couple of the door handles. There is a moderate 3-inch long scrape on the front bumper - probably missed as there was such a rush to prepare the car for me in under 40 minutes.

Tyres have 6mm on, besides 1 which has 6.5mm as it was replaced when a wheel was refurbished. Not sure if this falls within the norm, as is an ex demo - but sold as new?

I reported these issues to the lady (supervisor I believe) who signed the car over to me and she advised me to message Tesla Service which I have done and am awaiting a reply. I had a long return commute and leaving without the car wasn't an option - 3 hours of train journeys and the London Underground is enough for one day! I was also pretty excited to be collecting the car and the supervisor was very empathetic, which has given me a bit of confidence.

Although, I have just sold a 9 year old Mini which had less swirl marks than this Tesla.

I was wondering if anybody has similar experiences and what can I expect going forward? I'm fairly confident I can have the majority of the scratches fixed through Tesla, but I do not trust them to further detail the car given the state of the swirl marks on the paintwork.

Cheers

Last edited:
One thing worth noting (2019 M3P owner here) is expect to get less than 20k from the rear tyres as the drive train is rwd biased. I get around 17k from mine, and I do a fair bit of driving like miss daisy with the occasional 'moment' thrown in. Fronts are better, but not much. That said, nearly 4 years down the line and that torque hit never gets old - you may need to warn any passengers before flexing the right foot. I've somehow managed to only put two small marks on the wheels (a quick session with wet and dry and a touch up paint stick has rendered them almost invisible), but beware parking close to the kerb as when you turn the wheel to pull away it's so easy to catch the rim.

A session with a DA polisher should sort the swirls - mine has virtually none, I use the polisher once or twice a year.

Reactions: M1tch and Ash92
A bump to include some photos.

Tesla still yet to be in touch and I've requested info on the returns process - I've seen a 14 day window mentioned.

Do you think Tesa will be welcoming in restoring these defects? Has anybody been in any similar situations?

Thanks

Ash

Attachments

• IMG_2116.jpeg
    IMG_2116.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2115.jpeg
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    500.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2130.jpeg
    IMG_2130.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2153.jpeg
    IMG_2153.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2156.jpeg
    IMG_2156.jpeg
    530.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2152.jpeg
    IMG_2152.jpeg
    932.7 KB · Views: 60
I wouldn’t expect them to reply over the weekend, Tesla service aren’t good at weekends.

They should have a go at fixing them. As it’s sold as a demo then you can expect it’s had all sorts of drivers drive it even if the mileage is low, so a degree is to expected IMHO. If you read the used car checks they do and what’s acceptable, all those would probably be ignored, they don’t exactly try very hard.

You could also bite the bullet, get someone to detail the paint and get a ceramic coating applied which will sort out those and while you’d need to lay, you’ll end up with a better car then they’d ever give you directly.

Reactions: Ash92
I have considered this, but I'm not sure how repairable the scratches on the glass are, or the damage to the interior of the boot.

I did suspect they're slower at weekends. They weren't even aware they had the car, so it has had 0 quality control and was cleaned whilst I done the paperwork.

I have considered this, but I'm not sure how repairable the scratches on the glass are, or the damage to the interior of the boot.

I did suspect they're slower at weekends. They weren't even aware they had the car, so it has had 0 quality control and was cleaned whilst I done the paperwork.
Move on. You'll never be happy with this particular car (and may poison your appreciation for Tesla)

Reactions: MrBadger and Ash92
You could also bite the bullet, get someone to detail the paint and get a ceramic coating applied which will sort out those and while you’d need to lay, you’ll end up with a better car then they’d ever give you directly.

No amount of detailing is going to get rid of the scratches in Ash's 1st photo - they are through the clear coat and paint and down to metal by the looks of things!!!!

Detailing won't do anything to remove scratches in glass either.

No amount of detailing is going to get rid of the scratches in Ash's 1st photo - they are through the clear coat and paint and down to metal by the looks of things!!!!

Detailing won't do anything to remove scratches in glass either.

I'm fairly confident this particular scrape is going to get fixed. Although I've yet to see it in writing, the supervisor said that the whole front wing / bonnet would be replaced.

I can't fathom how a car can have so many imperfections in such a short space of time - especially that one around the door handle.

I've never tried to remove scratches from glass before - never had to 😂 is it even possible?

Last edited:
See if they respond tomorrow and if they will give reassurances that they will fix all issues, otherwise just reject and get another.

There is currently a 'showroom' M3P with nearly £6k off list and 0% finance so your demo one would have to be an especially good deal to make me want to keep it and put up with imperfections.

See if they respond tomorrow and if they will give reassurances that they will fix all issues, otherwise just reject and get another.

There is currently a 'showroom' M3P with nearly £6k off list and 0% finance so your demo one would have to be an especially good deal to make me want to keep it and put up with imperfections.
I've just placed a deposit on this one, if it was the blue one you spotted.

Same cost as my demo but new. Higher residual on this one, curious?

Makes sense to reject this car now. What a hassle!

I've just placed a deposit on this one, if it was the blue one you spotted.

Same cost as my demo but new. Higher residual on this one, curious?
Yes, I checked they had a blue one. 👍

I assume you will be the first owner on this showroom vehicle but you are the second on your existing one? That might account for the difference.

Yes, I checked they had a blue one. 👍

I assume you will be the first owner on this showroom vehicle but you are the second on your existing one? That might account for the difference.
Thanks for the spot. I looked earlier and nothing was there.

Makes sense! Hopefully can arrange rejection / collection on the same day. I've done enough train travel leading up to this purchase 😂