Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Level 1 Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you forget the J1772 adapter??? It's locked to the car until you release it.

Plug comes out, adapter stays on, you throw over the cord holder and you drive away.

There's been quite a few Tesla adapters found on J-1772 cords.

And now that you bring up that it's locked, so is the mobile connector.

But the most important thing to remember, is your original question

"When I've tried to talk to people who would be involved in this sort of decision, they seem to have no understanding of what level 1 means, or why it would be very easy to provide.

How can this be promoted?"

YOUR way of doing it is by your own admissions not working.
So open your mind to solutions that may work.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I'm trying to say your argument, which I interpret as "install lots and lots of level 1 chargers, the electricity is basically free and has little impact on your connection to the grid" is nonsensical.

Please show me where I said "install lots and lots" of level 1 chargers rather than a smaller number of level 2 chargers. I think you are reading what is not there. I may well have pointed out that they are cheaper than level 2 chargers.

You seem to be trying to pick a fight or something. What is your point???

Plug comes out, adapter stays on, you throw over the cord holder and you drive away.

There's been quite a few Tesla adapters found on J-1772 cords.

And now that you bring up that it's locked, so is the mobile connector.

But the most important thing to remember, is your original question

"When I've tried to talk to people who would be involved in this sort of decision, they seem to have no understanding of what level 1 means, or why it would be very easy to provide.

How can this be promoted?"

YOUR way of doing it is by your own admissions not working.
So open your mind to solutions that may work.

Ok, so my mind is open. What are the solutions?

Yes, if you make an argument for me, then you can make it as absurd as you wish.

Level 1 charging uses very little power, so many of them can be installed without a massive connection to the grid.
The advantage of 120V charging is that the electricity costs are virtually zero.
The electricity on an L1 charger would barely be noticeable.
The reality is, adding level 2 chargers will make a big difference to the electric bill. That's why the airport doesn't install them. They let contractors install and operate them. Level 1 chargers would have little impact.
Your words, boss. “Install many L1 chargers, they’re basically free.”

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Your words, boss. “Install many L1 chargers, they’re basically free.”

Which is nothing like...

Just like if you install 4x the amount of 1.5kw chargers, which is what you appear to be advocating for in this thread since the beginning.

Again - same is same. There’s no magic to be had here.

If a parking lot has 1,000 EVs, there need to be 1,000 EVSE to support them. It's much more expensive to add 1,000 level 2 EVSE than level 1 EVSE. The electrical connection would have to support a much higher maximum capacity. There certainly is potential for the electric bill to be much higher as well, since a level 2 EVSE will draw much higher current when first plugged in which will tend to be clustered during the times people show up at the airport. The demand charges for having level 2 EVSE can be much higher.

Of the four quotes you provided, which are false?

I especially like how you continue to make up your own statement at the end, and make it seem I'm saying that. You are literally putting words in my mouth.

It's much more expensive to add 1,000 level 2 EVSE than level 1 EVSE. The electrical connection would have to support a much higher maximum capacity.
No, this is false.

I have been noticing this thread has been continually muddling two different concepts as if they are the same and flowing back and forth between the two as if they are the same thing.

Level 1 versus Level 2:
This is just the voltage level difference between 120V or 240V. If receptacles were being installed, it's the same wire, and it's about the same price for the breakers and outlets. There's really no cost difference at all between Level 1 or Level 2.

EVSE device or not?
This is where the real discussion and disagreement comes from, and it does have some real pros and cons about cost, reliability, maintenance, availability, etc. Actually providing the EVSE instead of an outlet is an extra few hundred dollars per space, plus eventual equipment damage/replacement, service contracts, etc. But it does give the possibility for the place to meter for the electricity cost.

I have no particular opinion or side in this, but it was getting painful seeing the unrelated issue of Level 1/2 getting mixed up with the EVSE equipment question.

No, this is false.

I have been noticing this thread has been continually muddling two different concepts as if they are the same and flowing back and forth between the two as if they are the same thing.

Level 1 versus Level 2:
This is just the voltage level difference between 120V or 240V. If receptacles were being installed, it's the same wire, and it's about the same price for the breakers and outlets. There's really no cost difference at all between Level 1 or Level 2.

EVSE device or not?
This is where the real discussion and disagreement comes from, and it does have some real pros and cons about cost, reliability, maintenance, availability, etc. Actually providing the EVSE instead of an outlet is an extra few hundred dollars per space, plus eventual equipment damage/replacement, service contracts, etc. But it does give the possibility for the place to meter for the electricity cost.

I have no particular opinion or side in this, but it was getting painful seeing the unrelated issue of Level 1/2 getting mixed up with the EVSE equipment question.

In all cases, the level of charging is based on power, not voltage. However, level 1/2 was chosen to approximately fit the power available from a household outlet, vs. a more powerful connection. In North America and Japan that relates to 120V vs. 240V, but most other areas, all power is 240V or even 3 phase.

Level 1 is conventionally 15 amps, or sometimes 20 amps, so in the ballpark of 1.44 to 1.8 kW. Very few level 2 EVSE are less than 6 kW or 30 amps and ranges up to a 50 amp circuit. So level 2 will require heavier wire for each unit. But the real cost is the higher capacity of the connection to the grid and the higher operating costs from the demand charges.

Level 2 charging will nearly always be complete in less than a day, while level 1 charging can take up to three or four days. This makes the demand level more consistent for level 1, lowering the demand charges, which can be very significant for level 2 charging. Proper timed charging could mitigate the demand charges, but Tesla doesn't properly implement such timer controls, so this is not viable.

• Disagree
In all cases, the level of charging is based on power, not voltage.
The charging speed is, sure, but that's not cost of installation.
Level 1 is conventionally 15 amps, or sometimes 20 amps, so in the ballpark of 1.44 to 1.8 kW.
Level 1 is 120V, regardless of the amps.
Very few level 2 EVSE are less than 6 kW or 30 amps and ranges up to a 50 amp circuit.
That's pretty oversimplified. There are whole ranges of products, including plenty that are for 15 or 20A circuits. And again, EVSE products are a separate unrelated topic from the voltage difference of Level 1 or 2.
So level 2 will require heavier wire for each unit.
That is also false. I covered that earlier. You use exactly the same wire for 120V or 240V connections. It just has to be the right thickness for the amp level.
But the real cost is the higher capacity of the connection to the grid and the higher operating costs from the demand charges.
Yes, demand charge issues can be a real factor. But the higher power may be more useful for the users, so that's a strategy balancing decision depending on the circumstance.

And yes, I like the last paragraph.

So level 2 will require heavier wire for each unit.

That is also false. I covered that earlier. You use exactly the same wire for 120V or 240V connections. It just has to be the right thickness for the amp level.
It's mostly true that Level 2 charging will require heavier gauge wire since I believe that the lowest amperage, commonly used 240V socket is 30A, whereas the highest amperage 120V socket is 20A. Sure there are outliers such as NEMA 5-50 and 6-15 but when was the last time you saw those outlets?

• Disagree
The charging speed is, sure, but that's not cost of installation.

Higher current costs more to install. Every level 2 EVSE I've seen is higher current than any 120V outlet I've seen.

There's no point in debating this. Especially since not everyplace even has 120V. Level 1 is lower power than level 2 and lower current, so cheaper install.

Level 1 is 120V, regardless of the amps.
Tell that to people in Europe/UK.

gnuarm said:
Very few level 2 EVSE are less than 6 kW or 30 amps and ranges up to a 50 amp circuit.

That's pretty oversimplified. There are whole ranges of products, including plenty that are for 15 or 20A circuits. And again, EVSE products are a separate unrelated topic from the voltage difference of Level 1 or 2.

Not sure what you mean here. Are you telling me you've seen 15A, 240V EVSE? I think we are crossing over into absurd points.

Exactly! Level 2 uses higher currents than level 1 and so thicker wire.

I'm not going to continue to debate this issue with you. You started off with the misunderstanding that the definition of level 1 vs. 2 is simply 120V vs. 240V. Until you understand that the charging level is set by the power level and not the voltage, you won't understand anything else that we are discussing.

Yes, demand charge issues can be a real factor. But the higher power may be more useful for the users, so that's a strategy balancing decision depending on the circumstance.

You need to return to the point being discussed. I'm tired of trying to steer you back on track. Go read the damn conversation.

And yes, I like the last paragraph.
Good for you!

• Disagree
It's mostly true that Level 2 charging will require heavier gauge wire since I believe that the lowest amperage, commonly used 240V socket is 30A, whereas the highest amperage 120V socket is 20A. Sure there are outliers such as NEMA 5-50 and 6-15 but when was the last time you saw those outlets?

This isn't really about the outlets. These would be direct wired EVSE.

I often park at the long term parking at an airport. I find level 1 charging would be perfect so I could leave the car, and have it topped off when I return. Level 1 charging uses very little power, so many of them can be installed without a massive connection to the grid.

When I've tried to talk to people who would be involved in this sort of decision, they seem to have no understanding of what level 1 means, or why it would be very easy to provide.

How can this be promoted?

There has been a lot of discussion on whether 120V outlets or EVSEs are better (I am in the 120V camp for long term charging - just do not need the extra expense of installing and maintenance of EVSEs in a long-term lot), but let’s get back to your original question. As a business they care about their image and the bottom line. So just make a business case they can understand. Here are a few points:

• Image: Installation of outlets for use by EVs shows the lot owner is a supporter of the EV community!
  • Revenue: Having EV outlets will draw in business from EV owners who might park at another lot
  • Revenue: They could also add a nominal fee for using the outlets

There has been a lot of discussion on whether 120V outlets or EVSEs are better (I am in the 120V camp for long term charging - just do not need the extra expense of installing and maintenance of EVSEs in a long-term lot), but let’s get back to your original question. As a business they care about their image and the bottom line. So just make a business case they can understand. Here are a few points:

• Image: Installation of outlets for use by EVs shows the lot owner is a supporter of the EV community!
  • Revenue: Having EV outlets will draw in business from EV owners who might park at another lot
  • Revenue: They could also add a nominal fee for using the outlets

My original post was directly addressing long term airport parking. The airports where I park, the long term parking is in well lit, outdoor lots. I don't think there is a lot of concern from the airports about "supporting" the EV community, other than being able to post a sign or something similar. I don't think they care much about competing with other airports or other parking around their airport.

They could add a fee for using the charging, but that could be a bit complicated. The easy way would be to either cordon off a section of the parking for charging, or just make the entire lot charging capable. But we still have over 95% of people who are not able to use charging. That leaves charging spots that require a direct payment. This gets into the messier parts of EV charging, how to collect reasonable fees. Then there's the whole idle fee thing, which some providers will want to charge, even at a level 1 spot. That's another reason why I'm promoting level 1 charging. With the lower rate and cheaper equipment, it can probably be ignored and simply provided for free.

If you park for a day, you will probably be in a different lot, with quicker access, but a higher rate. A level 1 charger could completely charge an EV in three or four days. That electricity cost is around $15 max. Not much cost really. I tend to park for a week or more. I pay some $72 for parking, so $15 is not a huge chunk of that. But looking at all the combinations of stays and charging amounts, the physical issues it gets very messy, very quickly to find a way for everyone to be accommodated.

I have no idea how to have a meaningful conversation about this with the airport. They clearly don't know anything about EV parking. I wrote them about level 1 charging. Their response was a marketing oriented blurb about how they've gotten federal money to install a few level 2 EVSE and a handful of level 3 EVSE, but nothing that you could simply plug into and leave your car while you fly. That's my goal. Getting charging installed that would have no idle fees. Level 1 charging is the optimal connection for that!

Higher current costs more to install. Every level 2 EVSE I've seen is higher current than any 120V outlet I've seen.

There's no point in debating this. Especially since not everyplace even has 120V. Level 1 is lower power than level 2 and lower current, so cheaper install.
You're stating this as if it's always true. It's not. Current levels versus voltage levels don't have to be tied together like that. When my friend Don got his first electric car, he used a 240V 20A circuit. When my friend Jeff got his first electric car, he used a 120V 30A circuit. The level 1 circuit was higher amp and so needed thicker more expensive wire. These are real examples. Level 2 isn't always higher amp.
Are you telling me you've seen 15A, 240V EVSE? I think we are crossing over into absurd points.
Yes. It's not absurd.
Exactly! Level 2 uses higher currents than level 1 and so thicker wire.
No it doesn't always.
I'm not going to continue to debate this issue with you. You started off with the misunderstanding that the definition of level 1 vs. 2 is simply 120V vs. 240V. Until you understand that the charging level is set by the power level and not the voltage, you won't understand anything else that we are discussing.
Ehhhh...I think I know what certification thing you're referring to, which is just not used. It talks about things like direct DC charging over J1772 plug pins, which was never implemented in the industry.

So if you want to learn about this, there are plenty of places you can:

When wired directly, 240V EVSE only needs the two hot wires and a safety ground, while 120V needs the hot, neutral and safety ground. The only real difference is the amp rating, and so the cost.
Right. For a 5-15 versus a 6-15, they use the exact same wire, so same cost.