Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protecting paint - XPEL, Opticoat vs repainting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get an itemized description of what's included for that price. There are many variances from installer to installer. It's not as simple as calling around and wanting a Michelin Pilot Super Sport P285/35/20. You need to know what your money is getting you and see who's providing the best VALUE. Hope this helps

I got what the detailer sent me as a response by email & what I got by phone.
For that price it was a custom/seamless wrap job, minor paint corrections, and in one case CQuartz coating applied, but not in the other case (add $1,095 for opticoat pro). The bulk of the cost is the application of the film it seems. I don't know that I can get very accurate itemization: a lot of answers to my questions were "it depends" - well because of course, it truly depends on what the car looks like when it comes in. I understand that.

Obviously, nobody will give me a good estimate until they can see the car, so it's all ballpark at the moment. And I can't show them the car since I don't have it yet, so all I can tell them is "it'll be in whatever condition it gets when it gets driven straight from the Fremont factory to your facilities".

I think I got my ballpark figure, at least enough to make a decision. For my purpose it was good enough.

-- Greg

I got what the detailer sent me as a response by email & what I got by phone.
For that price it was a custom/seamless wrap job, minor paint corrections, and in one case CQuartz coating applied, but not in the other case (add $1,095 for opticoat pro). The bulk of the cost is the application of the film it seems. I don't know that I can get very accurate itemization: a lot of answers to my questions were "it depends" - well because of course, it truly depends on what the car looks like when it comes in. I understand that.

Obviously, nobody will give me a good estimate until they can see the car, so it's all ballpark at the moment. And I can't show them the car since I don't have it yet, so all I can tell them is "it'll be in whatever condition it gets when it gets driven straight from the Fremont factory to your facilities".

I think I got my ballpark figure, at least enough to make a decision. For my purpose it was good enough.

I liken paint correction and film application work to wedding photographers, DJs, etc. where the a good portion of the pricing is highly dependent on factors such as the traveling distance required for the professional to do his work (unless there's a permanent shop location), specifics of the work custom to your situation (accounting for variances like the number of defects in the factory paint which I've been told can be quite different from one car to the next in the same factory line), the skill and experience of the pro, the materials used, and so on. I used to follow the detailing forums a bit and apparently different paint colors from the same manufacturer could mean quite a difference in the handling of the surface (BMW jet black comes to mind). I also requested a few minor extras like debadging, cleaning and sealing with the wheels off, and so on which added to the bottom line.

I went through this same exercise a couple of months ago when preparing for my new car and had to juggle ballpark pricing, expectations, and scheduling. It's good you're researching and asking questions. Due diligence is important, especially with a car like the Model S for which I've been told the paint is on the soft side. In the end, make sure familiarize yourself with the correction and film application process as much as you can since it'll allow you to inspect the work (and perhaps appreciate it) that much more. Bring a good LED flashlight.

I facing this decision now. I have a CPO Model S, so it has 32k and 2 years in a road salt environment of wear and tear on it now. I can either pay $3k - $3,400 (paint correction, cQuartz Finest, and $1,440 for Xpel Ultimate) for full front + coating of entire car, or $4k for full wrap in Xpel Ultimate. Decisions, decisions! If it makes a difference, my key thing is ease of maintenance and a generally good look (not necessarily perfect). If I could help secure who it looks right now (even with its swirls and spiders), I would be happy, but willing to pay a bit to make it look fantastic.

Cyclone, on a CPO I think you've already taken the most damage. I'd skip it to be honest.
Personally, I am going with this - XPel, Opticoat etc. alternative for cheapos
Its a little bit of work, but I don't mind the exercise, and an extra 2-4K didn't hurt anyone either.

I'm too lazy for that lol. I will get at least a full coating on the car. If I did that, I'm looking at around $1,750.