Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing And true Market Value Opinion Needed

What is Market Value of this car

• 45-48

• 48-51

• 51-55

• 55+

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This boils down to how much of a premium you’re personally willing to place on a “like-new” and very low mileage car, one you can vet out quite a bit since you have direct contact with the seller.
Contrast that with the basically sight-unseen nature of Tesla’s CPO process. In general, things will be fine with the latter, but again, depends what your top factors are. I chose the CPO route and found the P85D car I wanted at a great (to me!!!) price.
With respect to the seller/fellow forum member, the newly revised price is def better than the original, but again, what premium do you want to pay for the great condition (per the seller) the car is in?
Assume you’re factoring in the cost of buying the extended warranty if you go this route...

I am very interested in buying this car.

Model S 85 - Dec. 2014 - low miles

With the way Tesla is manuplating the used car market with these outrageous CPO prices he has drastically elavated his price.

Based on the info what is your opinion on market value of this car?

Tesla can try to manipulate the market with crazy CPO prices but it does not change what the cars are worth or what the market will pay. They will have to price their CPO inventory at prices the market is willing to pay sooner or later.

From what I can see, this car has no AWD and is also lacking the premium seats. Two big must have for me, personally.

I would not pay more than about 50K for a 2014 85 and that is if it comes with the extended warranty. Without the warranty, I would not pay more than the mid 40s. Anything close to $60K and you are far better off buying a brand new 75D!

• Helpful
Reactions: Goinglongg
Tesla can try to manipulate the market with crazy CPO prices but it does not change what the cars are worth or what the market will pay. They will have to price their CPO inventory at prices the market is willing to pay sooner or later.
That isn't true. Tesla controls a significant supply of used Tesla's on the market, therefore what they do does affect the market price. It doesn't mean they can make them all worth a million dollars, but they can significantly affect the used Tesla values.

Reactions: ElementPowder
That isn't true. Tesla controls a significant supply of used Tesla's on the market, therefore what they do does affect the market price. It doesn't mean they can make them all worth a million dollars, but they can significantly affect the used Tesla values.

The market will set the used car prices and while they can influence that market somewhat, ultimately they will not get me to pay a cent more than what I have budgeted for the car I want to buy. In the meantime, their inventory depreciates further each month and there are more cars on the market.

Few people are going to be dumb enough to pay the $63K they want for a 2014 S60.

You are right, they are not trying to make it worth a million dollars but they are trying to sell a 2014 P85D for over $100K.

They will find out very quickly, if they have not already, that people looking to buy a used Tesla are not idiots :)

ultimately they will not get me to pay a cent more than what I have budgeted for the car I want to buy. In the meantime, their inventory depreciates further each month and there are more cars on the market.

You tell them! You have Tesla shaking in their boots and soon you'll see those prices drop... :rolleyes:

They will find out very quickly, if they have not already, that people looking to buy a used Tesla are not idiots :)

It's no so much about being an idiot but more that this isn't like Walmart bargain basement shopping when people buy these vehicles. Used CPO prices are even more eyebrow raising up here. Yet people do keep buying them. That's because a lot come from Mercedes, BMW, etc. and don't read forums and research prices. They accept the posted prices. Many are partial business use vehicles and the extra cost is not as much of a concern as it is to an individual like you who look at every detail. The market sets the price and if the vehicle were not selling they would not be priced where they are. I've heard people up here for years say Tesla won't sell CPOs at the prices listed -- yet they do.

• Informative
Reactions: Goinglongg
You tell them! You have Tesla shaking in their boots and soon you'll see those prices drop...

No one said anything about anyone shaking in their boots. Merely suggested that most people looking to buy a used car probably have a budget and if the CPO prices are absurdly high, they will likely wait until the cars are realistically priced or find a private party sale, as others on this forum have.

It's no so much about being an idiot but more that this isn't like Walmart bargain basement shopping when people buy these vehicles. Used CPO prices are even more eyebrow raising up here. Yet people do keep buying them. That's because a lot come from Mercedes, BMW, etc. and don't read forums and research prices. They accept the posted prices. Many are partial business use vehicles and the extra cost is not as much of a concern as it is to an individual like you who look at every detail. The market sets the price and if the vehicle were not selling they would not be priced where they are. I've heard people up here for years say Tesla won't sell CPOs at the prices listed -- yet they do.

Yes I am sure people buy CPO cars when they are not selling a 2014 S60 for $63K and a 2014 P85D for $101K.

Not sure what the rest of your post is about though as we've had Lexus, Audi, and BMW vehicles in our household and we research prices before we buy a car. Sometimes the purchase is indeed made under the name of one of our businessed but we are as careful spending the money of our businesse as we are with our own money, because it actually is our own money.

It's astounding that some people on this forum are trying to justify and make excuses for truly horrible pricing for some CPO cars like the two examples I gave earlier.

And you do realize that just because they remove a car from the inventory does not mean it is sold; right? I've seen the same cars appear for months, disappear for months, only to reappear a few months later.

The market will set the used car prices and while they can influence that market somewhat, ultimately they will not get me to pay a cent more than what I have budgeted for the car I want to buy. In the meantime, their inventory depreciates further each month and there are more cars on the market.
So now you think you are the market, and the price you decide something is worth is the market price? The reality however is that the market price is what people are willing to pay for the cars which is a function of how many are available at what price (the more cars are available, the quicker you go through people who are willing to pay more and have to drop the price). If people are paying more for a product that you are willing to pay more, that sets the market price, you calling them idiots doesn't change the market price.

You are right, they are not trying to make it worth a million dollars but they are trying to sell a 2014 P85D for over $100K.
Really? Where did you get that information? All currently listed CPO P85D's are under $100K, and most are under $80, here is the price distribution.
P85D_price_histogram.png

CPO's are priced to sell. Often they are first listed at the high end of the price range, then gradually reduced until a buyer is found. As long as they find a buyer at a higher price than you are willing to pay, you will not get to buy it. I get you have a set budget or simply decided in your head what the value is and you're waiting until the price goes down to match it, that is your right. Maybe you will find a great deal, where someone needs to sell a car fast, or maybe some CPO that for some reason people don't want to buy (smoker car, unpopular color, whatever). The good news is that eventually the car you want will drop to the price you set for yourself today - how long before that happens depends on how low your price is and how many people want the car more than you. In 10 years you just might be able to pick up a P85D for $20K.

Last edited:
Since I was already replying to Electricious, I looked a the CPO prices. About the car mentioned by @Goinglongg ; the closest comparable CPO is here (similar car, similar mileage but with 21" wheels at $65.8K). Take the $65.8, subtract $2.8K for 19" wheels and non-metalic paint, subtract $10K for CPO reconditioning + warranty and you end up at ~$53K (which is why I voted 51-55). That doesn't mean the OP cannot sell at at a higher price since supply of such low mileage cars is limited and Tesla doesn't have a white one, if white is important to someone they can pay some premium, but it may take longer to find that special buyer and depreciation doesn't stop either, so it applies a downward pressure on the price.

Last edited:
So now you think you are the market, and the price you decide something is worth is the market price? The reality however is that the market price is what people are willing to pay for the cars which is a function of how many are available at what price (the more cars are available, the quicker you go through people who are willing to pay more and have to drop the price). If people are paying more for a product that you are willing to pay more, that sets the market price, you calling them idiots doesn't change the market price.

Who said I am the market? Did I say I am the market? No I didn't, so let's stick to facts of disagreement.

Yes, I think anyone paying $101K for a 2014 P85D might not be the smartest person in the world. My point is most people with two functioning brain cells would not pay such an exorbitant price even if that was the only P85D CPO available to buy.

I'm not sure why you are so bent out of shape that someone pointed out some of the CPO inventory is absurdly overpriced and people should do their research and be careful what they buy to avoid overpaying.

As to your assertion that the CPO inventory is priced to sell, let's just agree to disagree on that.

Really? Where did you get that information? All currently listed CPO P85D's are under $100K, and most are under $80, here is the price distribution.

I guess your fancy price distribution chart missed this 2014 P85D CPO that was offered for $101,900.
2014_P85_D101_K.jpg

Who said I am the market? Did I say I am the market? No I didn't, so let's stick to facts of disagreement.

Yes, I think anyone paying $101K for a 2014 P85D might not be the smartest person in the world. My point is most people with two functioning brain cells would not pay such an exorbitant price even if that was the only P85D CPO available to buy.
Anyone paying $101K for a P85D wants it more than you or simply has more money than you and therefore values the money less. It doesn't make them idiots. People pay millions for paintings, or a sword, or whatever else is in short supply. Value is always what people are willing to pay. I get that to you something is not worth a high price, but to others it is and it doesn't make them idiots. I wouldn't pay 27 million for a 1967 Ferrari GTB.4 S NART Spider, but to someone it was worth that much (S60 beats its performance by the way) and you know what, they might have had more than 2 functioning brains cells (heck, unless they were a trust fund baby, they had enough brain cells to make enough money to afford a $27M car for their collection).

price even if that was the only P85D CPO available to buy.
I'm not sure why you are so bent out of shape that someone pointed out some of the CPO inventory is absurdly overpriced and people should do their research and be careful what they buy to avoid overpaying.

Your whole notion that the CPO inventory is reasonably priced, let's just agree to disagree on that..
Not bent out of shape, just providing you with some facts and reason why just because someone is willing to pay more for something that you, doesn't make them idiots or lacking more than 2 functioning brain cells.

I guess your fancy price distribution chart missed this 2014 P85D CPO that was offered for $101,900.
Care to provide the link for the above CPO? Just curious why it wasn't picked up by ev-cpo.com

• Disagree
Reactions: P85Dave
Anyone paying $101K for a P85D wants it more than you or simply has more money than you and therefore values the money less. It doesn't make them idiots. People pay millions for paintings, or a sword, or whatever else is in short supply.

Okay so now a $101,900.00 CPO 2014 P85D is like a treasured painting or sword. It's a work of art for those with "more money than you." :rolleyes:

Got it.

Unsubscribe.

• Love
Reactions: P85Dave
We are done. Look it up yourself. The VIN is on the listing.
Found it, listed at $98.8K, so here is your answer, reason why my "fancy price distribution" didn't show a single P85D over $100K is because there isn't one listed at this price today. Good news for you, nobody paid $101.9K for it, Tesla is keeping true to their practice and is simply lowering the price until they find a buyer. When they do, that will be the market price.

Reactions: HankLloydRight