Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Drop of $2k on M3P+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a M3 Performance on 12/31 in order to take advantage of the $7500 credit. So yes this 2K drop in price still puts me ahead by 1750 but the urgency to buy by year end would not have been there.

More importantly the issue I see is that the cars sold by year end were 2018 models. If I were to buy in a months time I am sure any new order would be a 2019 model year. That in itself would be worth more in the resale value in a couple of years down the road and more than the current 1750 savings!

In my opinion Tesla just devalued my 1 day old car significantly!

My first model x was $120k, my second was $112k (same features bigger battery), today I guess it's $110K. Tesla has been trimming prices over time, it seems, due to the competitive nature of the industry. As other companies close the gap on EV's and a network of chargers expect more price drops, IMO. Until then Tesla still has some monopoly and can keep prices somewhat inflated. Let's not kid ourselves the msrp on the X and S are almost unconscionable. Still love my Tesla and just ordered a Leica Q-P, but went in with my eyes open.

My first model x was $120k, my second was $112k (same features bigger battery), today I guess it's $110K. Tesla has been trimming prices over time, it seems, due to the competitive nature of the industry. As other companies close the gap on EV's and a network of chargers expect more price drops, IMO. Until then Tesla still has some monopoly and can keep prices somewhat inflated. Let's not kid ourselves the msrp on the X and S are almost unconscionable. Still love my Tesla and just ordered a Leica Q-P, but went in with my eyes open.
No question in the past 2+ years they have been able to reach much greater economies in their batteries. Certainly on the larger power packs, they are able to push some of those savings on to the customer. It will still get a BIT better, but we're getting to a solid floor at 100/kwh just for cells. I think this was closer to 2x that price 4-5 years ago. Again, just for the cells.

FFS, not again. You folks bought your cars at a price that you were happy with. That's why you bought them. Knock it off. If you're truly unhappy and you snuck in at the deadline, you're within your 3-day window to return the car.

Tell you what--for anyone interested, I'll reimburse you the $2k you're complaining about, right after you send me over the $3,750 you were eligible to obtain by purchasing by 12/31.

I absolutely get Tesla dropping the price...it makes perfect sense from a business perspective. I also don't expect anything from Tesla. I was offered a certain price on the car and I bought it (took delivery 12/28/18). That said, if I had perfect information and knew in advance that this price drop was going to happen I would have waited to get a 2019 -- just from a resale / trade-in standpoint as 5 years from now that one year difference in model year will likely be more than the $1,750 I saved. BUT, that is life AND that is also exactly why companies do NOT announce price drops. I absolutely love my car and I would not even think of invoking the 3-day hand-back provision because it would be far more of a pain than it would be worth...

Reactions: Zaxxon
I just took delivery of a M3 Performance on 12/31 in order to take advantage of the $7500 credit. So yes this 2K drop in price still puts me ahead by 1750 but the urgency to buy by year end would not have been there.

More importantly the issue I see is that the cars sold by year end were 2018 models. If I were to buy in a months time I am sure any new order would be a 2019 model year. That in itself would be worth more in the resale value in a couple of years down the road and more than the current 1750 savings!

Wait for an Elon tweet. That's how it happened last time.

Where are all the apologists that said Tesla would *NEVER* adjust pricing on their vehicles to offset the phasing of tax credits?

Turns out they are are in business to make money and will do what they need to incentivize people to buy their products.

Note that in the future this will include the return of free supercharging and negotiable discounts on vehicles (just like traditional auto dealers).

Price Drop? It should be noted that there has not been a price drop in Tesla cars. It's an increase. If they're going to tout the $7500 tax credit on their website as a discount then let's give it equal treatment here. Tesla cars just got more pricey even after the -$2k adjustment to msrp. A price hike of $1,750.00 for 95% + of buyers.

Reactions: mattjs33

How do you guys know if it's 2018 vs 2019? I don't see anything mentioned on my Tesla account page. It just says Model 3 with the VIN.