Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that you get it for free until Tesla have enabled users to be able to subscribe to the service. In the US it’s something like $10 per month so I expect it will be £10 for the UK.

I’ve asked a few people with SR+ M3s purchased in Q3/Q4 2019 and they have all said they still have the premium connectivity, some even didn’t even know they had it so it will come as a surprise when they’re asked to pay up to keep it going.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
My understanding is that you get it for free until Tesla have enabled users to be able to subscribe to the service. In the US it’s something like $10 per month so I expect it will be £10 for the UK.

I’ve asked a few people with SR+ M3s purchased in Q3/Q4 2019 and they have all said they still have the premium connectivity, some even didn’t even know they had it so it will come as a surprise when they’re asked to pay up to keep it going.

perhaps a somewhat simplistic view but...... How is that Tesla (and Apple for that matter) have managed to supersede/override/ignore any international monetary control and impose parity on the USD to GBP exchange rate?

What “international monetary control” is there that you speak of?

Products, including software and subscriptions, have had different prices in different territories, to different customers, for a long time.

The mistake is in thinking it has much of anything to do with the exchange rate. Tesla, Apple and others charge that because they think that’s what the market will bear.

Reactions: Cowpring and Roy W.
What “international monetary control” is there that you speak of?

Products, including software and subscriptions, have had different prices in different territories, to different customers, for a long time.

The mistake is in thinking it has much of anything to do with the exchange rate. Tesla, Apple and others charge that because they think that’s what the market will bear.

I know, I was taking the rise, perhaps I should have used an emoji :rolleyes:

Who is eligible for a Premium Connectivity subscription?Tesla Account in the coming months.

Review the terms and conditions to learn more.

Tesla Account.

All deliveries of Model 3 Standard Range, Standard Range Plus and all used Tesla car purchases will receive a 30-day complimentary Premium Connectivity trial.

Order Type Premium Connectivity Trial Eligibility
New orders of Model S, Model X and Model 3 with Premium Interior on or after July 1, 2018 Yes, one year starting from delivery date
New Model S, Model X, Model 3 Long Range and Model 3 Performance inventory orders on or after July 1, 2018 Yes, one year starting from delivery date
Used car orders on or after January 16, 2020 Yes, 30 days starting from delivery date
Model 3 Standard Range and Standard Range Plus Yes, 30 days starting from delivery date
Any car that is sold privately through a third-party, and does not already have Premium Connectivity No
How will I be notified when my Premium Connectivity trial is about to expire?Tesla Account to confirm your Connectivity Package subscription status.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB
Model Ordered on or before
June 30, 2018
Ordered on or after
July 1, 2018

Model S
Model X Free Premium Connectivity Eligible for Premium Connectivity subscription
Model 3 with Premium Interior Free Premium Connectivity Eligible for Premium Connectivity subscription
Model 3 Standard Range
Standard Range Plus Not Applicable Eligible for Premium Connectivity subscription
* Used cars ordered on or after January 16, 2020 are eligible for Premium Connectivity subscription.

I get a year free with the Premium, well I think a better phrase is ‘cost included’, which I am ok with. Considering Tesla are a software company who make cars it is natural that they will move some things to a subscription model. Most of us on here do this already with Netflix, Spotify etc. It would be a terrible business model to give it away for free forever. Likely our cost in the UK will just have a £ symbol in front of whatever the $ value is as this deals with currency fluctuations, well normal fluctuations anyway... we will see what Brexit and general global shenanigans does to it.

Worth keeping any eye on the details when ordering. I don’t however agree with the 30 day trial without the ability to then subscribe to the service. I was told it would be about £10 a month but we will see.

BTW, if you extend this principle based on the software model; OAU post warranty would also become a subscription but considering this is a real USP for Tesla I suspect if they do it at all it will be a long way off.

perhaps a somewhat simplistic view but...... How is that Tesla (and Apple for that matter) have managed to supersede/override/ignore any international monetary control and impose parity on the USD to GBP exchange rate?

Intended as humor I'm sure, but the gap isn't as big as it seems once you factor in VAT.

US prices are commonly stated before sales tax. UK prices must be given for consumer products including VAT.

So even at middle market rates, which you can never get of course, $10 becomes a little over £9...

The US price is quoted ex-tax, (as is their convention). The UK price will include 20% VAT. That just makes it about 10% more here. Bear in mind also that many US customers will have to pay sales tax (only 2 or 3 states have no sales tax). That can be 10% in some states.