Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preheating and effceiency questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I have a 2022 M3P and came from a 21MYLR, both have the heat pump. I have yet to spend a winter with both of my cars and have some questions is regards to preheating in the morning and the efficiency of cold weather with preheating. Here is some back story, i normally have my car in the garage where the temperature stays around 60. My garage broke so i have to charge off of a 120V outside where temperatures can drop to 40 over night. I have used the preheat function to have the car to the desired temperature when i get in but noticed that my range dropped 1% or so. I thought that if the car was plugged in, it would pull power from the house and not the battery? Or is it pulling to much thus it i must access the batteries power? If it was plugged into a 220V would this be different? Furthermore, If i preheat the car, does it also preheat the battery? If the battery is warmer than the surrounding area will the efficiency be greater than if the batteries were cold? In other words, should i preheat the car to get a better efficiency? or just get in and drive? Also, how much of a difference are people seeing with efficiency from 65 ish degrees down to 40's?
On a side note, i have been hearing that the 22M3P's have been having problems cutting power in the cold weather because it takes heat from the battery. Anyone know if this is solved? Thank you? or if there is still improvements to be made.

I can not figure out how to edit the posts tittle... lol

*Efficiency

I have used the preheat function to have the car to the desired temperature when i get in but noticed that my range dropped 1% or so. I thought that if the car was plugged in, it would pull power from the house and not the battery? Or is it pulling to much thus it i must access the batteries power?
Yes--that regular outlet can only supply about 1.4 kW power. Heating the car can be pulling about 3-6 kW, so it's using energy a lot faster than that outlet can provide.

Basically none of this is necessary. The car doesn't need it. It's just for your own preference and comfort if you want the warm fuzzy feeling of a hot and toasty car when you get in. So you could just...not.

Reactions: Kaz93
I'm basically never a spelling / grammar critic, but "effceiency," the question mark after "Thank you?" and "posts tittle" had me cracking up a bit :) @Rocky_H is spot on as usual. My 1980's garage door came off the track recently so I can relate somewhat. My car was in the garage at the time and I was scared to death I was going to drop the whole garage door on my car while I was trying to fix it.