Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Precondition battery for supercharging before leaving hotel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stayed at a hotel that has a supercharger 3 miles away. My car had been sitting in the cold all night so the first thing I did after waking up was to precondition the car and set the supercharger as the destination in the navigation. After breakfast I drove to the supercharger and was disappointed with a very slow charge rate (battery too cold). How do I force the car to precondition the battery for charging before departing?

From Google
In the Tesla app, navigate to the "Climate" section and set your desired cabin temperature. Start the preconditioning process through the app. The vehicle's climate control system will adjust the cabin temperature and condition the battery, optimizing it for charging.

• Disagree
Reactions: gsmith123
From Google
In the Tesla app, navigate to the "Climate" section and set your desired cabin temperature. Start the preconditioning process through the app. The vehicle's climate control system will adjust the cabin temperature and condition the battery, optimizing it for charging.

This will help but it not the same as the preconditioning the car does prior to reaching a SuperCharger provided it is set as a stop. Best to take the advice offered by @zecar

How long did you precondition for and what was the temperature. I am not aware that Tesla provides advice, but the battery needs to be quite warm to supercharge at speed and I don’t think preconditioning does that. I would have thought 30 minutes would be the minimum but temperature is a big factor. Best to do it at the end of the drive.

Agree-Charge on arrival while the battery is war. If I need the full 100%, I would charge to 90% on arrivals, and top off the 10% needed in the morning, since the car charges slower over 90%.
Best is a Hotel with Level 2 charging, especially of you can find a free one.

I stayed at a hotel that has a supercharger 3 miles away. My car had been sitting in the cold all night so the first thing I did after waking up was to precondition the car and set the supercharger as the destination in the navigation. After breakfast I drove to the supercharger and was disappointed with a very slow charge rate (battery too cold). How do I force the car to precondition the battery for charging before departing?

You are 3 miles away from the Supercharger, the car didn't have enough time to warm the battery.
Were you less than 20% charge, the car may not have even tried.

Conditioning the battery takes time.

It's much better to charge before you go to sleep.

Reactions: Mr. Nuke
That's why you charge on arrival in winter. Or stay in a location that will require you to drive 20 miles + in the morning to a supercharger.
agree with the others. When I travel, I usually check in, drop off the family, and then run over to the supercharger before the batt gets cold. (Or stay at a hotel with a charger so I can plug in overnight.)
That's what I do as well. Figured it out for myself about eight years ago — before Tesla started with the "preheating for faster Supercharging" protocol — on a cold night at Twin Falls ID. Supercharging the next morning didn't even start for ten or fifteen minutes while the battery warmed up. After that I learned to charge the night before, enough to get to the next Supercharger Station. Or spend the night at a campground or hotel where I could plug-in overnight.

Reactions: Rocky_H
That is disappointing that Tesla doesn’t have this feature.
Probably so people don’t trigger it by accident while parked and end up with a dead battery.

As others mentioned, could be faster to charge upon arrival with a warm battery if the SC is nearby. If it’s further out of the way then it makes less sense to do so.

Otherwise just go plug in with a cold battery in the morning and then go somewhere near the charger for breakfast.

This is why level 2 chargers, that one can remain plugged all night, in at a hotel are the best option. Until hotels have them, just as they do parking (as well as A/C, color TVs, laundry, etc.), they really can't be considered convenient for EVs. This is particularly true on places that get cold.
Those that don't will become like those in the '60's that didn't add those other amenities - roadside ruins or city slums.

This is why level 2 chargers, that one can remain plugged all night, in at a hotel are the best option. Until hotels have them, just as they do parking (as well as A/C, color TVs, laundry, etc.), they really can't be considered convenient for EVs. This is particularly true on places that get cold.
Those that don't will become like those in the '60's that didn't add those other amenities - roadside ruins or city slums.

Yep, most hotel chain and consolidator sites tend to be listing EV charging as a search option these day. Charger search sites (such as plugshare) also are offering hotel filtering. They're still a bit unreliable but we are making progress.