Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Companion - updated Windows app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this has been addressed before, lots of messages, but I was curious about my monthly net grid usage and discovered that
March 2023, 2022, 2021 are blank, no grid usage unlike the other months of a year.
Tesla app has data for those March months, so it is not Tesla issue, I don't think.
Thanks for the report. I've seen a few other instances of users reporting data anomalies. As best as I can tell, this is a problem on Tesla's side.
Powerwall Companion is using the documented Energy History API, while the Tesla app is using the undocumented Telemetry History API. The two seem to return identical results most of the time but occasionally there seem to be issues with what's returned by Energy History.
I'd love to move to the same API as used by Tesla (it seems to be more accurate) but it's based on undocumented protocol buffers which I don't know how to decipher. If anybody knows, please shout out.

FWIW there's nothing unusual about my data for any March.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesj
I
Thanks for the report. I've seen a few other instances of users reporting data anomalies. As best as I can tell, this is a problem on Tesla's side.
Powerwall Companion is using the documented Energy History API, while the Tesla app is using the undocumented Telemetry History API. The two seem to return identical results most of the time but occasionally there seem to be issues with what's returned by Energy History.
I'd love to move to the same API as used by Tesla (it seems to be more accurate) but it's based on undocumented protocol buffers which I don't know how to decipher. If anybody knows, please shout out.

FWIW there's nothing unusual about my data for any March.
It is just curious that it seems to affect March. Don't have 2020 as PW was installed after March that year. Will see, if I remember to check this April if it is still affecting March.

I

It is just curious that it seems to affect March. Don't have 2020 as PW was installed after March that year. Will see, if I remember to check this April if it is still affecting March.
What's weird is someone else reported the exact same issue relating to March: Month and second Week chart and export incomplete for March of any year · Issue #15 · tomhollander/PowerwallCompanion
I can only test on my own Powerwall but everything looks normal for me:
1707008470486.png

I

Ah, it's a daylight savings related bug. It impacts me too but in October, not March - because that's the month daylight savings starts for me. I can't immediately see anything I'm doing wrong (it may yet be Tesla's fault) but at least I've got something to go on now...

Reactions: charlesj
Happened on this topic by accident, but am very grateful now to be able to say a big THANK YOU to tomho. The app version of Powerwall Companion saved my sanity in the early days of having a Powerwall, on my Android phone of the time the Tesla app didn't load reliably, and was ******* useless when it did.

I could only wish that it had been you that designed the Tesla app, as Powerwall Companion is so much better. That said, the official app does seem to load quicker now, and they have taken some comments on board and made some improvements, such as a "go to a specific date" facility; it seems unbelievable that prior to that one had to scroll through day by day to get back to a specific date, with each page taking up to 15 seconds to load - such an omission.

But how I also wish that you could extend the app to give charging level control to the user. By this I mean an option to "charge to x% tonight", with x being chosen the evening before by the owner of the battery. Although again it is better than it was, the Time Based Control option doesn't always make the right decisions for charging overnight, and only I can know what demands I will make on the battery the next day, such as, say, exceptional use of an oven or an extra washload. And only I can make a reasonably accurate forecast as to how much sunshine there will be. A "charge to x% tonight" would be such an improvement.

I know it can be done using Raspbery Pis but it's completely beyond me, and I would be delighted if someone such as tomho could devise something that idiots like me could use. Sadly I suspect it's impossible.....

• Love
Reactions: tomho
And, I've figured out a fix. Will push out an update later today.
Super, thanks. Interesting such a mundane even has such an impact and only one way, not October or November here when we jump back.

ps. just noticed my battery charge level wheel on home page is orange now about 98% charge level. Has been that green color as you show in avatar.
Is this new?

Super, thanks. Interesting such a mundane even has such an impact and only one way, not October or November here when we jump back.

Time zones and daylight savings are a really common source of bugs. But yes it's strange this only impacted the spring changeover. Supervillain Plan

ps. just noticed my battery charge level wheel on home page is orange now about 98% charge level. Has been that green color as you show in avatar.
Is this new?
Orange means you're having a grid outage! Should go green again when your power comes back on.

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj and bemyax
Happened on this topic by accident, but am very grateful now to be able to say a big THANK YOU to tomho. The app version of Powerwall Companion saved my sanity in the early days of having a Powerwall, on my Android phone of the time the Tesla app didn't load reliably, and was ******* useless when it did.

I could only wish that it had been you that designed the Tesla app, as Powerwall Companion is so much better. That said, the official app does seem to load quicker now, and they have taken some comments on board and made some improvements, such as a "go to a specific date" facility; it seems unbelievable that prior to that one had to scroll through day by day to get back to a specific date, with each page taking up to 15 seconds to load - such an omission.

But how I also wish that you could extend the app to give charging level control to the user. By this I mean an option to "charge to x% tonight", with x being chosen the evening before by the owner of the battery. Although again it is better than it was, the Time Based Control option doesn't always make the right decisions for charging overnight, and only I can know what demands I will make on the battery the next day, such as, say, exceptional use of an oven or an extra washload. And only I can make a reasonably accurate forecast as to how much sunshine there will be. A "charge to x% tonight" would be such an improvement.

I know it can be done using Raspbery Pis but it's completely beyond me, and I would be delighted if someone such as tomho could devise something that idiots like me could use. Sadly I suspect it's impossible.....
Thanks @mw963, glad you like the app. Unfortunately I have limited options to control the charging behaviour - the Powerwall tends to do what it wants (works well for some people, less good for others). The only way you can influence it is to change things like the backup reserve, operational mode and tariffs. All of those can be set using the Tesla app - but I'm thinking about adding some features to PWC to automate changing these settings based on time or other thresholds. If anyone has any suggestions for what would be useful, let me know.

Reactions: mw963

Orange means you're having a grid outage! Should go green again when your power comes back on.
Thanks. Yep. A good part of California has severe weather conditions and power is out here in this area now for 8 hours. Good thing sun was out enough to have 98% battery after sunset. Even Internet went down for 3 hours, just got Internet back up while power is still down.
Lots of trees down, roads blocked, high winds.

@ tomho

Manually outwitting it is roughly what I do, I don't sleep very well, so pretty much always have an opportunity to fiddle with the app during the night if it's not doing what I want. For example if it's not charged fully and I know I'll need a full charge for the next day (or I suspect it might not charge fully due to previous sunny weather) I'll whack the storm reserve up to 100% (or whatever I think I'll need) once cheap rate has kicked in, and then push it back down to say 10% once cheap rate is over. Conversely, if I don't need a full charge, I'll set storm reserve to "current battery level minus 10%" at bedtime on self-powered mode (the 10% gets us from bedtime to start of cheap rate), and then adjust the storm reserve during the night, again resetting it to low once cheap rate is over.

In fairness the decision making has been better since this time last year, and this winter it's always charged up to 100% every night regardless, which in winter is what I want. It's the spring and autumn that seem to catch it out most often. In summer I tend to go down the "set to current charge level minus 10%" on self-powered, so that things like the dishwasher and water heater which come on overnight don't drain the battery further during the night, but alos meaning that the battery also doesn't charge unnecessarily, when generally the daytime sun provides enough daily power for the rest of our needs.

I realise that even you tomho aren't omnipotent when it comes to charging levels, but having recently also discovered your Windows tool I cannot exaggerate how grateful I am for your work. And if you do think of a way to allow us to "charge to x% tonight" it would be fantastic.

Coming in v6.0 of Powerwall Companion (to be rolled out over the next few days): a new optional display at the bottom which shows where your grid energy is coming from. This works in most locations around the world and uses a great dataset made available by Electricity Maps | Reduce carbon emissions with actionable electricity data. Looking forward to hearing your feedback once you get the chance to try it!

1707549969035.png

Coming in v6.0 of Powerwall Companion (to be rolled out over the next few days): a new optional display at the bottom which shows where your grid energy is coming from. This works in most locations around the world and uses a great dataset made available by Electricity Maps | Reduce carbon emissions with actionable electricity data. Looking forward to hearing your feedback once you get the chance to try it!

View attachment 1017105
I use the app in landscape mode. When solar starts generating it appears to enlarge the energy sources enough to block the grid energy source icons and the top of the toast messages get cut off. BTW, nice feature!

I use the app in landscape mode. When solar starts generating it appears to enlarge the energy sources enough to block the grid energy source icons and the top of the toast messages get cut off. BTW, nice feature!
What resolution? There's only so much room on the screen to fit things but if it's down to a few pixels I can try to optimise.

Hey, I'm a software engineer at Electricity Maps and this is a pretty damn cool use case!
Now we just need the Powerwall to become available in Denmark so we can see it in real life :)

• Love
Reactions: tomho