Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Netzero App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to add on to the feature creep but a couple things that would be useful to me:

Immediate manual control of the mode and reserve level. I would probably never have to open the Tesla Energy app if Netzero could do this.

One time automations. For example, if I know there is a storm coming in in a few days, I can set it up ahead of time to automatically change the mode and reserve level the night before so I don't have to remember (and forget) to do that manually. Maybe just having an end date or number of occurrences for the automation would accomplish this.

I haven't really played with automations so forgive me if there is a way to do the above already.

Reactions: RKCRLR
Not to add on to the feature creep but a couple things that would be useful to me:

Thanks for the suggestions! Agreed about manual control. You can accomplish this with the "Test Now" button when creating an automation (and then abandon the automation), but that's obviously not a great UI.

For your storm example: I plan on adding weather alert integration, so you can have a more conservative Storm Watch that triggers for less severe events. I'll think about more general one-time automations.

Reactions: RKCRLR and bemyax
Is there a way to set the charge level when it’s charging from the grid for those with a free nights plan? Like I would like to charge the battery to 50% at the start of my free time and then to 100% before the end of my free time.
I’m trying to decrease the amount of time the battery sits at 100% as it currently charges to 100% at the start of my free time and sits at that level for 9 hours unless there is an outage overnight.

Is there a way to set the charge level when it’s charging from the grid for those with a free nights plan? Like I would like to charge the battery to 50% at the start of my free time and then to 100% before the end of my free time.

You can likely accomplish this with scheduling. For example, if it takes 2h to charge your battery from the grid, turn off grid charging 1h after the start of free time and turn it back on 1h before the end of free time.

Or, to keep it simpler and independent of your starting state-of-charge, turn it on 2h before the end of free time and turn it off at the end of free time. (This however doesn't maintain it at 50%.)

I’m trying to decrease the amount of time the battery sits at 100% as it currently charges to 100% at the start of my free time and sits at that level for 9 hours unless there is an outage overnight.

This is understandable given what we've been taught about lithium-ion batteries. Just be aware that there is some buffer built in (100% is not actually 100%) and that the Powerwall warranty also applies to the "backup" use-case where your battery sits at 100% for 10 years straight.

I suspect my Powerwall Gateway is rebooting, perhaps high CPU from API calls, but very difficult to debug, especially as the LAN interface goes off line regularly.

NetZero gives me some great diagnostics, including uptime which looks suspect.

Now that the vitals endpoint has gone, how is NetZero calculating uptime?

Any other suggestions I can try for debug?

1000002493.png

I suspect my Powerwall Gateway is rebooting, perhaps high CPU from API calls, but very difficult to debug, especially as the LAN interface goes off line regularly.

NetZero gives me some great diagnostics, including uptime which looks suspect.

Now that the vitals endpoint has gone, how is NetZero calculating uptime?

Any other suggestions I can try for debug?

Uptime comes from /api/status (which doesn't require authentication).

For debugging the issue:
  1. You've probably done this already, but step 1 is to stop your API calls if you believe this to be the cause :)
  2. I've read about cases where gateways get into a bad state while trying to update the firmware. /system/update/status might have clues. Also make sure your connectivity from the gateway is good.
  3. You could try restarting the gateway, buy I would contact Tesla Support before doing that.

You've probably done this already, but step 1 is to stop your API calls if you believe this to be the cause :)
I'm registered for FleetAPI through netzero, do you make ongoing API calls on my system when I'm not using netzero either mobile or web app?

Not sure what update_unknown means:

```json
{
"state": "/update_unknown",
"info": {
"status": [
"nonactionable"
]
},
"current_time": 1714042503271,
"last_status_time": 1714039165453,
"version": "24.4.0 0fe780c9",
"offline_updating": false,
"offline_update_error": "",
"estimated_bytes_per_second": null
}
```

Last edited:
I'm registered for FleetAPI through netzero, do you make ongoing API calls on my system when I'm not using netzero either mobile or web app?

FleetAPI is a cloud API, it doesn't talk to the gateway API directly. Netzero can also talk to your gateway, but only while using Diagnostics in the mobile app. Powerwall-Dashboard will send frequent gateway API requests, but is pretty stable. Unless you have other gateway API use, I doubt that's causing your issues.

Not sure what update_unknown means:

I see the same result on my system, so no clues there unfortunately.

Reactions: Mark Purcell
I have all sorts of automations to get my system to behave exactly that way I want it to. The primary automations I have are:

-- These first two help ensure I'll have enough charge to weather the PEAK 4p-9p time frame if solar production is low, it will charge from solar, and power the home from the Grid
@ 10:00 AM - Set reserve to 20%
@ 12:00 PM - Set reserve to 40%

-- These next two ensure I have enough charge to export everything during peak, if I don't get to 46% it will stay on Solar Only.
-- When discharging, stop at 40% to save the rest of the remainder of peak and as much of the evening as possible (avoid Grid use as much as I can )
When charged to 46% -- Set Exports to "Export Everything"
When Discharged to 40% - Set Exports to "Solar Only"

-- The next two enable Export based on Time Based Controls (instead of self powered)
@ 4:00 PM - Set to Time Based Controls and set reserve to 10%
@ 9:00 PM - Set to Self Powered and set reserve to 10% (reserve may not be needed here)

-- The next two avoid charging my EV/Tesla from the Grid (I only charge between 9pm and 8am for the most part, so these don't conflict with the other rules for reserve setting).
When Vehicle is Charging - Set reserve to 90%
When Vehicle Stops Charging - Set reserve to 10%

So far these automations have accomplished what I'm looking for.

The one rule I can't figure out how to create is:
"If battery level is < 30% at 3pm, enable grid charging" or something along those lines. To have a decision based on time of day and charge level to take a specific action would be great, otherwise pretty much everything is there for my needs.

@offandonagain -- Kudos Again!! Please keep up the great work! The app just keeps getting better and better!

FleetAPI is a cloud API, it doesn't talk to the gateway API directly. Netzero can also talk to your gateway, but only while using Diagnostics in the mobile app. Powerwall-Dashboard will send frequent gateway API requests, but is pretty stable. Unless you have other gateway API use, I doubt that's causing your issues.

I do hit the gateway pretty hard with the FleetAPI, but have very much wound that back. I do have Home Assistant hitting the gatewayAPI every 30 seconds for status updates.

The gateway seems to go into a non-responsive state (FleetAPI is still updating), I can ping the local gateway, port 80 is open, but I don't get any data over the local interface.

Code:
mark@penguin:~$ ping 192.168.86.61
PING 192.168.86.61 (192.168.86.61) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.86.61: icmp_seq=1 ttl=62 time=9.60 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.86.61: icmp_seq=2 ttl=62 time=26.6 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.86.61: icmp_seq=3 ttl=62 time=10.0 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.86.61: icmp_seq=4 ttl=62 time=72.6 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.86.61: icmp_seq=5 ttl=62 time=91.1 ms
^C
--- 192.168.86.61 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4007ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 9.601/41.982/91.128/33.636 ms

mark@penguin:~$ telnet 192.168.86.61 www
Trying 192.168.86.61...
Connected to 192.168.86.61.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

mark@penguin:~$ curl -v https://192.168.86.61/api/status
*   Trying 192.168.86.61:443...
* Connected to 192.168.86.61 (192.168.86.61) port 443 (#0)
* ALPN: offers h2,http/1.1
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
*  CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
*  CApath: /etc/ssl/certs

Screenshot_20240426-072356.png

I do hit the gateway pretty hard with the FleetAPI, but have very much wound that back. I do have Home Assistant hitting the gatewayAPI every 30 seconds for status updates.

I would suggest turning off all of these while investigating this problem.

The gateway seems to go into a non-responsive state (FleetAPI is still updating), I can ping the local gateway, port 80 is open, but I don't get any data over the local interface.

Try accessing it via the TEG wifi network when it's not responsive (scan the QR code behind the door, then access https://192.168.91.1). If that works, it's likely a connectivity issue with your home wifi network. If it doesn't work, it's likely an issue with the gateway. In that case try resetting the gateway.

You can likely accomplish this with scheduling. For example, if it takes 2h to charge your battery from the grid, turn off grid charging 1h after the start of free time and turn it back on 1h before the end of free time.

Or, to keep it simpler and independent of your starting state-of-charge, turn it on 2h before the end of free time and turn it off at the end of free time. (This however doesn't maintain it at 50%.)

This is understandable given what we've been taught about lithium-ion batteries. Just be aware that there is some buffer built in (100% is not actually 100%) and that the Powerwall warranty also applies to the "backup" use-case where your battery sits at 100% for 10 years straight.
If my PW is at 20% and an automation rule is run where the backup reserve is increased to 50%, self powered and grid charging enabled, would the PW automatically charge to 50%?

Hi @offandonagain, I've just started using the app and tried the dynamic rate plan for Octopus Agile.
I don't know how you prefer feedback but I raise a GitHub issue: Dynamic rate plan: allow no export tariff · Issue #10 · netzero-labs/netzero

We have a legacy solar export contract called a “feed-in tariff”, which is not administered by Octopus. We get paid for what we generate, not what we actually export. So with these conditions we only want to export solar when the Powerwall is full.

So it would be great if we could select “none” for the Export Tariff - or a fixed price of 0 - rather than having to choose one of the Octopus export tariffs.