Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall and "The Missing Piece..." Event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too expect it to be about the SolarCity Home Battery partnership.

Although I'd love another partnership to be announced with Harley-Davidson and its LiveWire concept: HD builds the bike while Tesla supplies the battery/engine + OS + SuperCharger.
HD handles sales and maintenance through its massive network worldwide (including China BTW).

Harley-Davidson LiveWire

E.

I'm getting solar ASAP and don't think a storage system would be of much use to me. Outages are few and far between, and unless I go off-grid I can't go bigger than 10 kW which wouldn't generate much extra energy. And with net metering I'm selling it back to the grid anyhow if I do create more than I use. So if it were free, sure, but it's going to be tens of thousands of dollars.

I'm getting solar ASAP and don't think a storage system would be of much use to me. Outages are few and far between, and unless I go off-grid I can't go bigger than 10 kW which wouldn't generate much extra energy. And with net metering I'm selling it back to the grid anyhow if I do create more than I use. So if it were free, sure, but it's going to be tens of thousands of dollars.

Yeah, they are going to have to come up with some sort of benefit beyond saving the $500 of food in my fridge for the once a decade long outage.

Yeah, they are going to have to come up with some sort of benefit beyond saving the $500 of food in my fridge for the once a decade long outage.

Depending on cost of equipment and TOU pricing differences there's the potential to simply "download" energy from the grid when it's cheap and draw from the battery during peak times. Haven't calculated break even points, etc.

I hate these announcements about going to announcing something. Fine to tell people a few days prior so they can make themselves available for the announcement but one month prior is ridiculous. They know exactly what it is -- but it's like, we're not telling you (nanananana!), we're just announcing that we will be announcing it, one month from now. That's just plain annoying to me.

Depending on cost of equipment and TOU pricing differences there's the potential to simply "download" energy from the grid when it's cheap and draw from the battery during peak times. Haven't calculated break even points, etc.

I agree, but that's highly utility/location dependent. It's a hard message to convey to potential buyers. I consider myself really familiar with my situation with solar, TOU, net-metering and I don't have a good feel for how this would fit in.

Everyone has been wrong so far....
4nursebee: Tesla new product line

I see no reason you had to link us to your blog to read your couple sentences worth of opinion:

Mark my words! It will be a truck. Years ago Elon tweeted that he was looking for truck engineers (or something similar). They have to have this fairly well designed by now.

TESLA TRUCK!

That said, it would definitely fit the "not a car" part of it, but I still doubt it. The X is still TBD at this point, with the next projects publicly revealed to be Model 3 and the Gigafactory. I can't see them having the resources to shoehorn a truck into the timeline as well.

A truck sounds like a post-Model 3/gigafactory release to me. (then again, so does stationary storage considering they claim to be supply-constrained on batteries)

Last edited by a moderator: