Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: SGIP/Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what to use for the following when submitting an application to be a developer?

1. Articles of Incorporation
2. Certificate of Incorporation
3. Operating agreements or similar applicable organizational documents of Developer and most current financial statements.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I had contacted the SGIP program administrator back in August. The answer is ignore it. It is for corporate entities. The next revision of the handbook is suppose to include a homeowner in the definition. You also do not need a CSLB license.

• Informative
Reactions: Kren
I'm not getting a response to creating my general SGIP account. Do I need to first do the homeowner-developer application?

You are probably the first one doing this under the new rules. I would go through with the developer application first because you will need to do one anyway if you are serious about applying. This is the first pill to swallow, and the easiest part. Then the journey begin down the rabbit hole.

I just got my SGIP bounced because I don't have TESLA Preliminary Monitoring Plan V2

Does anyone have a copy of this document?
I received a private message from someone from this forum. They said that Tesla is tellling people that they have reached the Developer's cap for all steps. They cannot submit any future SGIP applications. Maybe with this new information, you can try and ask them for a copy of their PMP? If you do reach out to them, I would suggest using an email address that does not identify you. Good luck.

I received a private message from someone from this forum. They said that Tesla is tellling people that they have reached the Developer's cap for all steps. They cannot submit any future SGIP applications. Maybe with this new information, you can try and ask them for a copy of their PMP? If you do reach out to them, I would suggest using an email address that does not identify you. Good luck.

Lord, that would be bad news. When I asked my TE rep about SGIP, he said they would process my application after my install (which hasn’t been scheduled yet) and he stated Step 3. However, I don’t think he has actually been talking to the SGIP people.

Edit: just shot my rep an email, we will see what he says.

Last edited:
Lord, that would be bad news. When I asked my TE rep about SGIP, he said they would process my application after my install (which hasn’t been scheduled yet) and he stated Step 3. However, I don’t think he has actually been talking to the SGIP people.
I think if Tesla said you are in step 3 then you should be okay. I am sure they are keeping a running tab of how many people they have in the queue waiting for installs. I think there are 5 steps. So if you already have a signed contract you should be okay. It's mainly bad news for people just now trying to get a contract directly with Tesla.

I think if Tesla said you are in step 3 then you should be okay. I am sure they are keeping a running tab of how many people they have in the queue waiting for installs. I think there are 5 steps. So if you already have a signed contract you should be okay. It's mainly bad news for people just now trying to get a contract directly with Tesla.

Well, I am not getting warm fuzzies about TE’s communication process, as they have mistaken me for someone else’s install a couple of times and told me my permits were back a week and a half before they were actually back, submitted the wrong size system to SCE, etc. So I doubt I am even on the Tesla SGIP team’s radar at this point, even though we are installing next month (hopefully). I do not have any documentation in my contract about SGIP, etc.

So I would not be shocked at all if my rep came back and said, “sorry, no more SGIP rebates”

Yes, for new sales, I think Tesla is trying to tell people not to count on SGIP funds.

I do have it in writing from Tesla (email) that they will apply on my behalf, and I have a signed contract but no installation date yet, so this is my expectation. However, I've decided not to really worry about SGIP for now and just focus on trying to get the Powerwalls installed in a way that works for us (we have a design concern at the moment). One way or another, I think SGIP will end up working out for us.

Got this back from my TE rep (emphasis mine):

You are correct, we are no longer accepting SGIP application for new customers. You signed for solar before this took place and you are still in the group to be considered to receive the SGIP. We cannot guarantee you will be selected for the SGIP, since it is not our choice. Your SGIP application has been submitted with Edison and the state.

So, it is true that they aren’t taking new SGIP applications. It looks like I will be in the queue though, which is good news.

Yes, for new sales, I think Tesla is trying to tell people not to count on SGIP funds.

I do have it in writing from Tesla (email) that they will apply on my behalf, and I have a signed contract but no installation date yet, so this is my expectation. However, I've decided not to really worry about SGIP for now and just focus on trying to get the Powerwalls installed in a way that works for us (we have a design concern at the moment). One way or another, I think SGIP will end up working out for us.
I am straying a bit from the SGIP topic, but I was recently assigned a new Tesla rep. I had some design questions/issues. I got a response from two different Tesla/Solar City reps that did not make sense to my electrician. When I got the new rep, I decided to run the questions by her. She has been phenomenal. She told me right away that she would send my questions to the engineers. She came back to me with their reply and it was a completely different answer than the previous reps. They are giving me options, specs for my electrician etc. Really cool. I almost gave up. Glad I didn't.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I am straying a bit from the SGIP topic, but I was recently assigned a new Tesla rep. I had some design questions/issues. I got a response from two different Tesla/Solar City reps that did not make sense to my electrician. When I got the new rep, I decided to run the questions by her. She has been phenomenal. She told me right away that she would send my questions to the engineers. She came back to me with their reply and it was a completely different answer than the previous reps. They are giving me options, specs for my electrician etc. Really cool. I almost gave up. Glad I didn't.
That's great to hear! I was also given a new rep and have been pleased with his responsiveness, much faster in getting back to me than our first rep. Once we resolve my current concern with the size of the breaker feeding the Energy Gateway and the load center subpanel, we'll hopefully be able to get on the installation calendar.

I've decided to proceed with applying to "self-develop" or be a "homeowner-developer". I submitted the old Developer Application 3.5 weeks ago, and I got a response from SGIP Group @ sce.com 3 weeks later! Perhaps the delay was due to the changeover to the new Developer Application, which is dated the same day I applied.

Those interested in self-developing should see Resolution E-4487 of the CPUC, a draft of which is available at http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/Published/G000/M194/K729/194729073.PDF This resolution includes a list of 10 development activities to be considered when determining who is the primary developer. My response from SGIP Group @ sce.com asked me to clarify what my role will be, so I went through the 10 items and indicated whether I would handle it, Tesla is handling it, or we are both handling part of it. My tally was 6 by me, 3 shared, and 1 by Tesla, so hopefully SGIP Group will agree that I am the primary developer.

Cheers, Wayne

I've decided to proceed with applying to "self-develop" or be a "homeowner-developer". I submitted the old Developer Application 3.5 weeks ago, and I got a response from SGIP Group @ sce.com 3 weeks later! Perhaps the delay was due to the changeover to the new Developer Application, which is dated the same day I applied.

Those interested in self-developing should see Resolution E-4487 of the CPUC, a draft of which is available at http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/Published/G000/M194/K729/194729073.PDF This resolution includes a list of 10 development activities to be considered when determining who is the primary developer. My response from SGIP Group @ sce.com asked me to clarify what my role will be, so I went through the 10 items and indicated whether I would handle it, Tesla is handling it, or we are both handling part of it. My tally was 6 by me, 3 shared, and 1 by Tesla, so hopefully SGIP Group will agree that I am the primary developer.

Cheers, Wayne
That's good information. I agree, I think that most of those development activities can in theory be done by the homeowner. Anyone wanting to get their developers ID should mark almost all of those.

Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) Quarterly Workshop Notice
[email protected]

Message body
When: Friday, December 15th, 9:00am – 1:00pm (estimated)

Where: Pacific Energy Center, 851 Howard St., San Francisco CA 94103

What: SGIP’s Quarterly Workshop.

Who: All SGIP stakeholders may participate

The SGIP is hosting a Quarterly Workshop at the Pacific Energy Center on Friday December 15th, 2017. Registration and call-in details will be shared to the service list and to current program participants at a later date.

To ensure a robust agenda with relevant topics, the SGIP Administrators would like to hear from stakeholders on potential discussion topics in addition to the items listed below. Please contact one of the Program Administrators listed below with your requests. We look forward to seeing you at the workshop!

Agenda Topics:

-New Developer Application

-New Equity Budget

-New Inspection Sampling Protocol

-Publicizing Equipment Vetted by the SGIP Technical Working Group

Has anyone actually received an SGIP check? For phase 1 or 2?

I know about approvals. But any actually been paid?

On another topic my rep told me TOU update is now 1st quarter 2018.

I have been checking on the status of this for SoCal Edison applications at the weekly statewide report.
You can get to this document through this link. Scroll down to "9. Reports" and click on the weekly statewide report to download it.

The last few columns of this sprawling spreadsheet are the important ones. If the very last column has a date, it is the date the project was cancelled. If there is a date in the second to last column, it was when the payment was completed. Looking through installations beginning in 2014, it looks like the quickest time for a check to be cut in the last three years was about 18 months. Most are longer.

We will be waiting a while for our rebates.

I have been checking on the status of this for SoCal Edison applications at the weekly statewide report.
You can get to this document through this link. Scroll down to "9. Reports" and click on the weekly statewide report to download it.

Hmm, at what point does an application show up on that list? Only after its been accepted by SCE? My sales rep claims my SGIP application has been submitted, and I am wondering at what point I should expect to show up on the list.

Hmm, at what point does an application show up on that list? Only after its been accepted by SCE? My sales rep claims my SGIP application has been submitted, and I am wondering at what point I should expect to show up on the list.
Ask your sales rep for the application number. Unless you are self submitting your own application, I don't think you will be able to identify your application unless your sales rep gives you the application number. Everything is automated with the SGIP. As soon as my application was submitted as a self-submitter, I immediately received an email that it was submitted and it showed up on the Real-Time report as RFF Submitted. When the utility-sgip finally gets to reviewing your application, it goes into RFF Technical Review(This might be different for PGE). It will stay in this status for probably months although they say it takes only 14 days. If they need more documents or information, they will put your application into RFF suspended until they get what they want. Once they get the info they are requesting you are back in review and also back in the queue (another 14+ days). When SCE-SGIP accepts the application, you will have the status RFF Confirmed. After install, inspections and all those documents submitted, I assume it will say PAID. But it doesn't seem like anyone in step 1 or step 2 has gotten to that point yet. I assume if Tesla (or some other firm) is submitting for you, you will not be notified of the process. Just ask them for the application number so you can track it yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile