Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coating Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Powder coating a matte black or grey would be striking on a Model S. The Audi photos in this thread give some indicator as to how it can enhance the look overall. A more extreme example - I was pretty amazed by how the basic Nissan Juke got transformed into the "Juke-R" - they did a lot here but I think they powder coated the wheels with a gun metal grey (matte), the whole thing looks a bit over the top (to say the least) but it does show how you're onto something, powder coating can really add some bite to the overall aesthetic...

Nissan-Juke-R-1.jpg

Interesting -- I did my Audi too -- looks like I have the same setup! Had them powdercoated Satin black by Mass Bros in Livermore, looks killer. Actually bought a second set of OEM wheels for track tires, and those are now the black ones.

I still run the silver for my road tires and black for the track, but I kind of wish I'd mounted them in the reverse because I think the black looks better. Maybe I'll swap them next time I wear out a tire.

BG3D0076.jpg
IMG_1628.jpg
EV0G5970.jpg

Hey All - thought I'd share some good news. I just spoke to Brent in Tesla service. He confirmed that, provided you use a legit tire shop, when you powdercoat your wheels the Wheel and Tire Protection Program remains in effect. Granted if you damage your factory Tesla wheel that you have aftermarket powder coated, they will only replace the OEM wheel (the powder coating is our responsibility again). I'm excited as I am picking up my PC'd wheels today!

Hey All - thought I'd share some good news. I just spoke to Brent in Tesla service. He confirmed that, provided you use a legit tire shop, when you powdercoat your wheels the Wheel and Tire Protection Program remains in effect. Granted if you damage your factory Tesla wheel that you have aftermarket powder coated, they will only replace the OEM wheel (the powder coating is our responsibility again). I'm excited as I am picking up my PC'd wheels today!

Doogue, can you let us know where you got your wheels done, and whether you like the look?

Wow those black wheels are nice.

I feel like I've limited myself when it comes to customizing the color of the wheels or trim pieces since I chose the green paint job. Personally, I don't like to stand out with the really kind of "loud" color combinations (whichcan look quite good; they're just not for me), and with the dark green color, I feel like there aren't many choices for me.

I feel like I've limited myself when it comes to customizing the color of the wheels or trim pieces since I chose the green paint job. Personally, I don't like to stand out with the really kind of "loud" color combinations (whichcan look quite good; they're just not for me), and with the dark green color, I feel like there aren't many choices for me.

I don't agree :) It's true that, so far, no one on here seems to have picked up a green P85 with dark wheels or considered powder-coating silver ones black to go with their green car.

But, it'd look very striking in my opinion. If Doogue responds with the price and the shop details and if the price is right, I may be tempted to do it to my 19" wheels!

Sure guys. I went with semi-gloss, also described as 40% - that's between complete Matte Black (10%) and High Gloss (90%). The look I'm going for is more mean than show-quality. I know I'm not going to be polishing the wheels enough to warrant high gloss - and brake dust build up is expected and does show; conversely, I felt matte looked too track-ready and muted for the look I like.

I left the caps the factory grey color, barely notice them, and figure it's a nice homage to where we came from, but I did do the bolts powder coated to match (be sure to have them hand tighten them so they don't strip).... I thought about doing caps at a paint shop, but didn't bother. Anyway, I could not be happier. Mean look, but not overly modified - I have added powder coating to stock wheels, vinyl wrap to existing chrome pieces and 40% tints. Who says EV's can't look mean!?

Any of you folks in the Bay Area, I highly recommend calling AJ from West Coast Powder Coating in San Bruno. Really good guy, gave me the full tour of his place and we spent a long time looking through finished pieces to determine the exact look I was going for. He works with Hanlon Tire and the beauty of the thing is they drive the car to the lift and that's it, no more car movement, they drive the rims to AJ who does the work, then drive the rims back - I loved that. Semi gloss is what I was after and AJ nailed it. Pricing was approx $200/wheel - I found cheaper places, but none that I wanted to leave my car for the day. (Note to Tesla: got to get that Valet feature in the next update!)

Extra bonus: I confirmed with Tesla that PC'ing the wheels doesn't void the Tire and Wheel warranty. That is sweet as I got the same insurance with my previous car (535i) and it paid itself off within the first 10 months!

Great looking wheels!!! Can we get some more details on the powder coating finish as did they have to do anything special with your center caps? I will be powder coating my 19in wheels if I ever my car LOL.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't agree :) It's true that, so far, no one on here seems to have picked up a green P85 with dark wheels or considered powder-coating silver ones black to go with their green car.

But, it'd look very striking in my opinion. If Doogue responds with the price and the shop details and if the price is right, I may be tempted to do it to my 19" wheels!

Agree - do it up. I've seen green cars with black wheels - minis and bmws - and they look sweet!

Mass Brothers in livermore did a really nice job for about half that price -- $400 for a set, but I brought them naked wheels to do.

They do many race teams, like Flying Lizard (a top bay area team) and super credible.