Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pot holes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yes, I feel confident offering to eat my hat on this one if it ever comes to pass. I don't think Elon has sampled the sheer variety (and quality) of UK pot holes and broken road edges. The entire computing power of the car plus cloud based supercomputer AI would be required ... and then it would still miss the one that takes out your new wheel/tyre!

• Funny
Reactions: Cnixon
I did read its all part of a bigger plan. Whilst most other autonomy solutions use high definition maps, EM has dismissed these and instead has a vision for 'fleet maps' that are far more dynamic. So things like potholes may likely be included on the fleet maps - I guess once first car gets the hit and uploads its position!

I’m not sure it’s practical to map potholes’ positions. Ford and probably others, have a system that detects potholes using cameras and momentarily stiffens the suspension so the wheel doesn’t drop in the hole as much. The system is supposedly going to be on their new Mach-E.

I’m not sure it’s practical to map potholes’ positions. Ford and probably others, have a system that detects potholes using cameras and momentarily stiffens the suspension so the wheel doesn’t drop in the hole as much. The system is supposedly going to be on their new Mach-E.
I don't see why not. It's just visual data and if you think about how much visual data the Tesla cameras are already capturing and sending to the Tesla mothership then a few potholes is not much extra.