Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Autosteer Enhancement - Temporary Left or Right Side Lane Preference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not related to what we're discussing in this thread.

Please allow me to explain. If the EU AP version 2.7.77 is implemented in NA which requires 1) Tapping the turn signal and 2) Driver initiates the lane change with steering wheel to effect an auto lane change, then the following could be a means to achieve auto-steer lane bias (topic of the thread).

1. Only while in AP auto-steer mode, tapping the turn signal does not blink the signal lights, instead the car is left or right bias within the lane. The amount of bias depends on how long or how many repeats the stalk is kept in that position. In non AP mode, the turn signal stalk behaves as normal.
2. As currently implemented, driver can take full control of the steering by applying the required torque on the wheel,

Please allow me to explain. If the EU AP version 2.7.77 is implemented in NA which requires 1) Tapping the turn signal and 2) Driver initiates the lane change with steering wheel to effect an auto lane change, then the following could be a means to achieve auto-steer lane bias (topic of the thread).

1. Only while in AP auto-steer mode, tapping the turn signal does not blink the signal lights, instead the car is left or right bias within the lane. The amount of bias depends on how long or how many repeats the stalk is kept in that position. In non AP mode, the turn signal stalk behaves as normal.
2. As currently implemented, driver can take full control of the steering by applying the required torque on the wheel,

But the driver, even in AP mode, needs to be able to indicate when he is initiating a lane change.

I really don't think using something as critical as the directional stalk for something secondary would be a great idea.

But the driver, even in AP mode, needs to be able to indicate when he is initiating a lane change. I really don't think using something as critical as the directional stalk for something secondary would be a great idea.

In AP mode, blinker works when the directional stalk is latch to left or right turn, and then driver initiates the auto lane change by turning the wheel.

I like the idea of a quick tap on the cruise control stalk to bias right or left. I do find that my AP tends to get way too close to the line for my comfort, either side. I actually never use the 1 mph increments, only the hard tap for 5 increments. So I would not mind losing that functionality.

The steering wheel is the most obvious and intuitive control. I find when it is in this situation that I'm gently pulling the wheel to one side. The car should provide a small bias in that direction, but more importantly should remember this based upon location and incorporate it over time ... That is probably in keeping with their other supposed methods of learning and also avoids some of the steering issues mentioned above. After all, when it really gets uncomfortable, take control.

The steering wheel is the most obvious and intuitive control. I find when it is in this situation that I'm gently pulling the wheel to one side. The car should provide a small bias in that direction, but more importantly should remember this based upon location and incorporate it over time ... That is probably in keeping with their other supposed methods of learning and also avoids some of the steering issues mentioned above. After all, when it really gets uncomfortable, take control.

You can always use the steering wheel to adjust what the auto steer is actually doing.

I'm suggesting that auto steer should have the ability to allow us to temporarily set a preference for what portion of the lane we'd like to be driving in. I don't think that preference should be set with the steering wheel, because it will cause confusion. The steering wheel will always be able to override anything, and that is how it should be.

You can always use the steering wheel to adjust what the auto steer is actually doing.

I'm suggesting that auto steer should have the ability to allow us to temporarily set a preference for what portion of the lane we'd like to be driving in. I don't think that preference should be set with the steering wheel, because it will cause confusion. The steering wheel will always be able to override anything, and that is how it should be.

I've been pulling on the steering wheel in the hope it moves over, without disabling auto steer. I find you can put quite a lot of pressure on it without it disabling. Perhaps there is enough room in there for gentle steering corrections.

IMHO, the other dials and buttons are already too overloaded.

There are three very closely related AP functions:
1. Lane-Centering Bias
2. Lane-Following Preference (LFP)
3. Lane Speed Control

In engineering a solution for Bias, one should also consider what is
needed for indicating LFP when driving under AP control. As a lane
splits (right or left exit, turn, or interchange lane is ahead) just following
a crowd-sourced preference is not enough to go where YOU want
to go AT THIS MOMENT.

So control to achieve some little Right or Left Bias, relative to the center line, or
referenced to the right or left lane edge, must be achieved very quickly, since
circumstances that "require" an off-center bias can appear quickly.

Indicating a preference to follow-left or occasionally follow-right is often
a choice that can be made more leisurely, usually for an upcoming exit
or freeway interchange lane split.

Thrown in with these two, the speed (re)setting to fit the circumstances
that AP does not (yet) handle correctly (or sufficiently safely for the
current situation or conditions) must be considered in the engineering
of the AP-related controls. Currently the accelerator can handle an
quick override to increase speed, but the more critical quick speed reduction
is much more awkward.

So, a suggestion for Lane-Bias control should include provisions for
control of these other two (usually more important) functions.

There are three very closely related AP functions:
1. Lane-Centering Bias
2. Lane-Following Preference (LFP)
3. Lane Speed Control

In engineering a solution for Bias, one should also consider what is
needed for indicating LFP when driving under AP control. As a lane
splits (right or left exit, turn, or interchange lane is ahead) just following
a crowd-sourced preference is not enough to go where YOU want
to go AT THIS MOMENT.

So control to achieve some little Right or Left Bias, relative to the center line, or
referenced to the right or left lane edge, must be achieved very quickly, since
circumstances that "require" an off-center bias can appear quickly.

Indicating a preference to follow-left or occasionally follow-right is often
a choice that can be made more leisurely, usually for an upcoming exit
or freeway interchange lane split.

Thrown in with these two, the speed (re)setting to fit the circumstances
that AP does not (yet) handle correctly (or sufficiently safely for the
current situation or conditions) must be considered in the engineering
of the AP-related controls. Currently the accelerator can handle an
quick override to increase speed, but the more critical quick speed reduction
is much more awkward.

So, a suggestion for Lane-Bias control should include provisions for
control of these other two (usually more important) functions.

I think your post provides a very good analysis concerning the time sensitivity and and prioritization of these separate functions. So given your analysis, and given the hardware resources for inputing controls that are currently available on the car, how would you accomplish these functions, particularly lane bias control?

It kind of is already. Someone added this:

AP needs to do a better job of favoring the left/right portion of a lane based on surrounding obstacles. If between a wall and a truck favor the wall (it isn't moving), but if between a wall and an empty lane then favor the empty lane side. As a bonus allow the driver to suggest lane placement while on AP.