Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Port won't release supercharge cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This behaviour began yesterday on my Model 3 that I got Dec 6, 2018. I've been on a 2 week road trip through OR, CA, and AZ. When supercharging is complete, I press the button on the nozzle and the light on the car's port changes from green to light blue. Then I can remove the cable. However, since yesterday, when I press the nozzle button, the indicator light turns dark blue, and I can't remove the cable. I press the nozzle button again, and it flashes for a split second to light blue, then returns to dark blue. I have to time it exactly so I can remove the nozzle during the brief instant the light is light blue. It takes me 3 to 4 tries. This can't be right. Anyone have suggestions?

This behaviour began yesterday on my Model 3 that I got Dec 6, 2018. I've been on a 2 week road trip through OR, CA, and AZ. When supercharging is complete, I press the button on the nozzle and the light on the car's port changes from green to light blue. Then I can remove the cable. However, since yesterday, when I press the nozzle button, the indicator light turns dark blue, and I can't remove the cable. I press the nozzle button again, and it flashes for a split second to light blue, then returns to dark blue. I have to time it exactly so I can remove the nozzle during the brief instant the light is light blue. It takes me 3 to 4 tries. This can't be right. Anyone have suggestions?

I saw this happen to another M3 at the Santa Ana SuperCharger a couple days ago. They eventually had to use the manual release in order to disconnect it. The supercharger was fine as I used it immediately after.

My car wouldn't let me remove my UMC2 plug in the garage this morning. Both reboots failed to release it. I pulled the manual release in the trunk and went out to lunch with the "unable to charge" warning. After I came out of the restaurant the warning disappeared right after boot-up. At home the plug would not at first open the charge door but it opened with the push and connected. Pushed the button and it released OK. After the port closed, pushed the plug button again and port opened and connected OK. All is now normal. My head hurts.

Yes, if you mean in successive tries. If you mean press and hold, no, I haven't tried that. I will check that too. But what is the proper way? I have till yesterday simply pressed once and it released.

The proper way to remove the charge cable is to press and hold the button as you remove the cable. Clicking it only interrupts the charging momentarily.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I assisted one gentleman at a Supercharger who experienced this.

If there is any tension on the charger cable, then the sensors are misaligned which caused the error. He parked too far away from the charger, and the cable was very tight. We fixed it by pulling the cable to give more slack, then had to pry the charger off by pulling down on it.

Perhaps you may want to try charging when there is a lot slack in the cable. Pull up to the charger as close as possible.

Reactions: Big Earl
I pressed the release button the same way I have for the last 5 months and it immediately turned red.
Same thing happened to me yesterday morning (UMC in my garage). I had to use the manual release in the trunk and after that it worked fine again. I suspect it may have something to do with the "cold weather" tweaks Tesla added to recent firmware versions to mitigate the frozen charge port issue (although it currently doesn't get much colder than 60 F here).

I had the same issue. SC pushed out software update and the issue no longer reappears. You do want to press and hold the button when removing the supercharger cord, otherwise it will be a guessing game -- sometimes it will work, other times it will get stuck.