Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche CEO Muller Ignores Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Porsche is really interesting. Here is how many cars they sold:

1995/1996 - 19,262 cars (or about Tesla in 2013)
1996/1997 - 32,383 - Tesla in 2014
[...]
2000/2001 - 54,586 - Tesla in 2015 (it took Porsche until 2000 to crack the 50k threshold)
[...]
2005/2006 - 96,794 - Tesla in 2016 (again, it took Porsche a few years to get up to about 100k)

... and then in 2009 VW was bought by Porsche. Now, I'm not saying that Tesla should buy Ford (or any other car maker).

I find the speed of Tesla amazing: they want to do in 3-4 years what Porsche did in 10. That's quite something.

Umm, Porsche didn't buy VW. They tried and failed, then VW bought Porsche

Umm, Porsche didn't buy VW. They tried and failed, then VW bought Porsche

Good point - should have left that argument out. It got very complicated / convoluted in that merger. Not the least because of the special ownership arrangements of VW. The key point is that they were strong enough to attempt it. (Sometimes people argue that you need to sell millions of cars to be viable as a car maker. Porsche shows that's not the case.)

Good point - should have left that argument out. It got very complicated / convoluted in that merger. Not the least because of the special ownership arrangements of VW. The key point is that they were strong enough to attempt it. (Sometimes people argue that you need to sell millions of cars to be viable as a car maker. Porsche shows that's not the case.)

Pretty much the only reason they were strong enough to try was the Cayenne. That really broadened Porsche's appeal. And not surprisingly, considering they didn't even have a sedan at the time.

Interesting to see if Tesla has a similar hit in their hands with the Model X, probably not quite since the extension of market from Model S to Model X isn't as big as the extension from Cayman to Cayenne was.

For sure, Tesla as a brand is possibly considered "cooler" now than most other relatively mainstream brands (including probably Porsche) in many markets in North America and parts of Europe and Asia. That brand awareness and momentum shift are surely not going unnoticed in the German auto manufacturer boardrooms although their executives may attempt to laugh it off.

Just as the Model S has taken away possibly thousands of sales of the Panamera, the MB S/E classes and the BMW 5s/7s/Ms, the Model X is going to make a pronounced dent into sales of the Cayenne and the MB/BMW SUVs. The Model 3 will follow that trend in the $35k-$50k segment. It's not going to be a laughing matter very soon.

For sure, Tesla as a brand is possibly considered "cooler" now than most other relatively mainstream brands (including probably Porsche) in many markets in North America and parts of Europe and Asia. That brand awareness and momentum shift are surely not going unnoticed in the German auto manufacturer boardrooms although their executives may attempt to laugh it off.

Just as the Model S has taken away possibly thousands of sales of the Panamera, the MB S/E classes and the BMW 5s/7s/Ms, the Model X is going to make a pronounced dent into sales of the Cayenne and the MB/BMW SUVs. The Model 3 will follow that trend in the $35k-$50k segment. It's not going to be a laughing matter very soon.

Agreed.

Tesla sales are mostly coming out from someone else's "claim", and the German premiums are a big part of that. I would add Audi hurting to your list as well.

So VW paid the money but Porsche got the voting shares? Sounds like Porsche won on that one.

Porsche management lost BIG in their Quixotic quest to takeover VW. The Porsche "goldenboy" CEO Wendelin Wiedeking who turned around the company (and revived the iconic 911) and made it into essentially a hedge fund that made cars was canned and eventually charged with market manipulation.

Porsche: The Hedge Fund that Also Made Cars

Used Nissan LEAF Prices Fall Again In April

Ignore the Nissan Leaf part and dig deeper into the table in this article, and you will see the Porsche Panamera is the third-fastest-falling used car value in the USA.

Cayenne is "only" #7 in the list, but I imagine things are going to get very problematic for the value of used Cayennes towards the end of this year.

For sure, people are switching to Tesla.

Oh that is a very interesting chart indeed @MartinAustin. Did you notice how many of those vehicles can be viewed as competitors, a little or a lot, with Tesla Model S / X? We already know there are lots of Leaf owners that really want a Model S, but can afford a Leaf. I don't recognize the GMC Savannah; I wouldn't put the SmartForTwo into a Model S competitor list (of course, I also wouldn't put the Leaf on the list, but I realize that people do cross shop the two) - everything else I see on that list could be viewed a little or a lot as a Tesla competitor.

So VW paid the money but Porsche got the voting shares? Sounds like Porsche won on that one.

Moreover, they essentially making other voting shares irrelevant since Porsche family created entity that decides internally on how they vote as a group.

Porsche SE, a holding company owned by the Porsche and Piech families, controls 51 percent of VW's common stock
Business Insider

But it is not like VW paid money to family, more like other way around. The whole merger was extremely complicated and took years but the end result is this: VW ended up being fully controlled by Porsche descendants. And there was tons of internal German politics involved with Merkel being most instrumental in ensuring such outcome.

Last edited:
Sigh, why do CEOs say stupid things like this. I wonder if he's paying attention to people like me buying a Tesla after owing a 2015 Macan Turbo and a 2011 Cayman S before that. I'll never buy another Porsche. Of course I'm just one person, but I have a feeling I'm not the only ex-Porsche owner on this forum

i remember the CEO of Nokia saying something similar when Apple entered the phone business. Where's Nokia now?

Have a V8 Cayenne S, won't buy another one. Told friend whose been looking at getting one not get it, unfortunately they ignored my warning and worse they got a diesel one.