Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche 918 Spyder plug-in hybrid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some context, the Spyder tops the list at Wikipedia:
Time: 2.2s
Make and Model: Porsche 918 Spyder
Year: 2015
Verified Time (sec) by C&D, Aug 1 2014: 2.2
Manufacturer Time (sec): 2.5
List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wish I had a translator for the video.

Tesla Model S P85D gets off the line faster than a Porsche 918 Spyderthen gets smoked | Electrek
https://electrek.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/screenshot-2015-05-13-08-58-26.png?w=704
P85D_vs_Spyder.png

Miliseconds later, it was toast, but the Tesla P85D did at least get off the line quicker than the insanely fast Porsche 918 Spyder which boasts a 2.3 second 0-60 time and sub-10 second quarter mile.
The screenshot above and the video follows of AUTO BILD TV’s race on Porsche’s home field. Feels like we’re seeing the last stand of internal combustion in supercars.

That somebody would put a 5 passenger saloon into a drag race with an insane bat **** sports car and do so with a straight face, or at least keep a straight face, for a 5 minute video, is its own telling comment about the 5 passenger sedan.

Alright, here goes:

Title: Tesla Model S vs. 918 Spyder: Duel of the electric sporties.

[0:10 Narrator]
They are the stars at Autobilds' "Test the best electric": Teslas new top Model S, the P 85D and Porsches eco-runner of the absolute top class, the 918 Spyder.

[0:27 Narrator]
Hauke Schrieber is following the succes story of the carmaker from California from the very beginning. The new P 85D is impressive not only to him. The D at the end stands for "Dual Motor". In addition to the electric engine in the rear, this model has another e-motor on the front axle. This gives the all-wheel-sedan an enormous power of 700 HP and more than 930 Nm torque. Top speed: 250 km/h.

[1:00 Schrieber]
The acceleration is unbelievable, and it's not a hybrid or a plug-in hybrid, it's a purely electric car. So that means all the power for the motors is provided by the battery, and that gives a tremendous push.

[1:12 Narrator]
But it also pushes the price. From around 120,000$ the P 85D is available, currently that's around 110,000€. [This is true, ordering a P85D in Germany will set you back 112,200€ before options]. In return, Tesla promises a range of around 480km on one charge.

[1:32 Narrator]
Stefan Diehl is fascinated by this projectile. The Porsche 918 Spyder is probably the most costly compromise between E-drive and full gas. ["Gas gaben" means flooring it in German - hard to translate without losing meaning this]. With at least 768,026€ it's Germanies most expensive, serially produced car. For that, however, thanks to plenty of carbon fibre as well as generous useage of aluminium and magnesium, you get an ultra-light racer with fabled specs. Weight merely 1.7 tons, top speed 345 km/h. In theory, the Porsche uses only 3-litres per 100 km [how the hell did they come up with that, I wonder] and with that steals every compact cars' thunder. This is made possible by an unequaled plug-in hybrid.

[2:15 Diehl]
The car has the power of 3 hearts. 2 electric motors, one in front, one in the back, with a V8 with 4.6 liters in between, 878 HP in total. That thing's a surface-to-surface missile and probably goes straight into space. [:rolleyes:]

[2:40 Narrator]
This amount of praise practically screams for a comparison of strength. Hauke Schrieber with the E-Power of Teslas newest Family-coach against Stefan Diehl in Porsches super-exclusive plug-in hybrid.

[2:51 Schrieber]
Okay Stefan, wanna go for a race? Quarter Mile? You in?
[Diehl]
If you had two cups of coffee this morning we can give it a try, sure.
[Schrieber]
I don't need a cup of coffee - wanna go anyway?
[Diehl]
Absolutely, eyes open. We can do it.
[Schrieber]
Okay, here we go

[3:03 Manly Handshake]

[3:25 Schrieber, quietly]
****, ****, ****.

[3:34 Diehl]
Where were you Hauke? I missed you!
[Schrieber]
Close, but I'm satisfied anyway. Congratulations. Mine takes 3.2 seconds to 100 [km/h], yours?
[Diehl]
2.8, 0.4 seconds faster. But I think it was a fair race and - you're a good second place.

[3:47 Narrator]
Adimttedly, maybe this race wasn't completely fair. Though people at Porsche would've probably flipped their **** if their eco-super-sportscar had been beaten by an electric sedan. However, Tesla will surely continue to put a lot of pressure on German automakers. [There was a cringeworthy steam/electricity pun in that last sentance that I'll spare you]

That should be close enough...

Seems like they're not too biased after all on this vid, they clearly state that it would've been ridiculous if a Sedan could beat a hybrid sports car such as this.