Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche 918 Spyder PHEV: Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlatSix911

Porsche 918 Hybrid
Jun 15, 2015
Silicon Valley
I would love to see what Porsche could do with the 918 as a future BEV... might be an interesting Roadster alternative :cool:

Porsche 918 Spyder spec:
  • weight: 1674 kg
  • 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 2.6 seconds or 6.2 seconds in all-electric mode
  • 0-100 km/h (124 mph) in 7.3 seconds
  • top speed of 345 km/h (214 mph) or 150 km/h (94 mph) in all-electric mode
  • system output: 887 bhp (652 kW) at 8500/min from 4.6L V8 engine 608 bhp (447 kW) and two electric motors 286 bhp (210 kW)

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
I would love to see what Porsche could do with the 918 as a future BEV... might be an interesting Roadster alternative :cool:

Porsche 918 Spyder spec:
  • weight: 1674 kg
  • 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 2.6 seconds or 6.2 seconds in all-electric mode
  • 0-100 km/h (124 mph) in 7.3 seconds
  • top speed of 345 km/h (214 mph) or 150 km/h (94 mph) in all-electric mode
  • system output: 887 bhp (652 kW) at 8500/min from 4.6L V8 engine 608 bhp (447 kW) and two electric motors 286 bhp (210 kW)
It looks great but I suspect will cost more than $550 000 down in Australia. Porsche is insanely overpriced here cf USA...

• Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow
It looks great but I suspect will cost more than $550 000 down in Australia. Porsche is insanely overpriced here cf USA...

The original price of the 918 Hybrid was $845,000... good luck finding one today for under $1M :cool:
I suspect the price of a new 918 BEV would be considerably higher. Porsche 918 Spyder - Wikipedia

1920px-Porsche_918_Spyder_SAO_2014_0281.JPG

The original price of the 918 Hybrid was $845,000... good luck finding one today for under $1M :cool:
I suspect the price of a new 918 BEV would be considerably higher. Porsche 918 Spyder - Wikipedia

1920px-Porsche_918_Spyder_SAO_2014_0281.JPG
It's beautiful, and your pricing info makes it really easy: I am unwilling to spend so much money on a car, so I will just admire it from my Roadster as it whooshes by... (one way or the other)

It's beautiful, and your pricing info makes it really easy: I am unwilling to spend so much money on a car, so I will just admire it from my Roadster as it whooshes by... (one way or the other)
Some Australians do own them, but they are LHD only so you cannot drive them on the street here. The landed price in Australian was into the multi millions. With regular taxes and then the Porsche Australia premium. There was a blue one for sale at Dutton's Garage. It was listed in excess of $2million I believe. When I say for sale, as with all of Dutton's super high end stuff, it wasn't actually for sale, it just had the appearance of being on sale, so the owner could drive the car on the streets with dealer plates every now and again. That is the only way you can drive a new LHD car in Australia on the streets.

Edit: I just checked their website, they have another one 'for sale'. $3 million.

2015 Porsche 918 Spyder

Seems steep, this one doesn't even have the Weissach package. Rumour is that early into the 918's life, it had a software update on the electrics which increased it's power well beyond the high 887hp number, and allowed the electric motors to continue boosting past the previous 180mph cut off.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
This discussion really makes the 2020 Tesla Roadster seem like a bargain for the performance it delivers :cool:

True, but the Taycan BEV looks to be priced a lot more competitively. The Roadster is going to win the drag races, but I'm not convinced about its track pedigree at this point. I'm on the fence at the moment regarding road use. The Roadster looks stunning, but if the Taycan is under £100K as promised it could be the best EV sports car yet. Handling and driver appeal is going to be strong for sure. But Tesla have a big head start on EV tech and I like the Roadster styling and interior better. Interesting times ahead!

Reactions: ICUDoc
True, but the Taycan BEV looks to be priced a lot more competitively. The Roadster is going to win the drag races, but I'm not convinced about its track pedigree at this point. I'm on the fence at the moment regarding road use. The Roadster looks stunning, but if the Taycan is under £100K as promised it could be the best EV sports car yet. Handling and driver appeal is going to be strong for sure. But Tesla has a big head start on EV tech and I like the Roadster styling and interior better. Interesting times ahead!

I agree, however, if Porsche continues the practice of exorbitant options pricing the Taycan will easily reach £200K :cool:

Watch Porsche Mission E Cross Turismo Charge At 250 kW

Porsche Taycan spotted being benchmarked against older Tesla Model S

Porsche talks more electric for the next 918... Porsche 918 Spyder Successor Will Seek 6:30 Lap At The 'Ring

The head of Porsche Motorsport told Top Gear magazine recently. The magazine had occasion to sit down with motorsport boss Frank-Steffen Walliser recently at the L.A. Auto Show, and the topic of ‘Ring records came up in a discussion about the successor to the exceptional Porsche 918 Spyder.

“It must achieve 6 minutes 30 seconds at the Nürburgring,” Walliser reportedly told Top Gear. “I don’t care about the drivetrain, 6 minutes 30 seconds is the target. Sports cars are defined by their performance, then we have to look how to achieve it. An electric car in 6 minutes 30 seconds is quite a challenge.”