Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Chrysler Pacifica (Minivan) PHEV 30 mile AER

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pacifica Hybrid production resumes in Ontario after stalling problems

Fiat Chrysler is once again assembling Pacifica Hybrid minivans after a problem with certain diodes in the vehicle briefly halted production for a few days, say sources with direct knowledge.

The automaker started voluntarily recalling an estimated 1,368 hybrid minivans in the U.S. and another 309 in Canada on June 9 to upgrade faulty diodes that could lead to “propulsion loss.” According to a post on FCA’s website, feedback from a small number of customers led to the discovery that certain diodes in the vehicle may stop functioning and cause the problem.

I have a friend who was looking at getting a minivan and wanted to look at the plugin Pacifica. He went to the dealer and they reported that they currently have a waiting list of people wanting the plugin version. It sounds as if they just don't get the deliveries from Chrysler to meet demand. This was a Nashville area dealer.

Stories like this are frustrating. Low sales numbers that are constrained by delivery limitations are then used to say there is limited demand.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I have a friend who was looking at getting a minivan and wanted to look at the plugin Pacifica. He went to the dealer and they reported that they currently have a waiting list of people wanting the plugin version. It sounds as if they just don't get the deliveries from Chrysler to meet demand. This was a Nashville area dealer.

Stories like this are frustrating. Low sales numbers that are constrained by delivery limitations are then used to say there is limited demand.
How true! At the Ford dealer in Asheville, NC they sell all the Fusion and CMax Energis they can get. They can't get Focus Electrics at all! When I tell someone this with Ford marketing, they insist there is no demand! They have zero interest i selling these cars.

• Informative
I was able to test drive the Pacifica Hybrid during an electric vehicle week event in Diamond Bar. Fully loaded at $47K it is an impressive and practical SUV. 33 mile EV range and the green CA HOV sticker will help keep demand high. Those who need 6 or 7 passenger capability should compare ease of entry and comfort. The rear seats were a surprise for space and width. The flat ceiling made entry easy from the 2nd row. The roof glass needs extra tint or it can be completely covered from the inside. Infotainment connections should please many buyers. Skimpy regeneration braking in Drive requires a manual shift to Low during downhill driving. Gas engine will turn on at full acceleration. Overall the test drive was pleasant and if I needed the extra passenger space the Pacifica Hybrid could provide a very satisfactory ride and comfort for everyone.

I was able to test drive the Pacifica Hybrid during an electric vehicle week event in Diamond Bar.

Funny you mention that! I had just purchased my Pacifica Hybrid days before that event and was tempted to showcase it there.

Anyways our Pacifica Hybrid replaced a VW Routan, making this a substantial upgrade. We've been enjoying it ever since.

And just in case people ask, OTD to include financing it's about $56k. $7500 federal tax incentive and $1500 from California. Also $450 from SoCal Edison. Very comparable in overall pricing to Chrysler's top trim non-hybrid Pacifica.

Also a Model X was never a realistic choice, unfortunately.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Mark Z and GoTslaGo
How is initial quality and reliability? That is something that concerned me with Chrysler products.

I read and watched plenty of reviews on the Pacifica. Quality and fit has been great, not like the creaks and squeaks from our S90D.

But when a lot of these reviews boast that it's a complete redesign, I can only roll my eyes. The layout is very similar to the previous generation Dodge Caravan/VW Routan/Chrysler Town & Country. Yes, all those things are essentially the same except for certain materials and trim.

All it adds is additional tech...the blind spot monitor only covers 2/3 of the vehicle. What I mean by that is from the 2nd row to the rear of the van are the only areas that will light up the side mirror icons. So if a car is passing you and its rear is parallel to your driver's door, no light. Also their LaneSense is a little scary and doesn't always catch it. It's a minivan, so obviously the steering is incredibly soft. I tend to keep it disabled along with the oh so sensitive auto high beams.

So with that, they've had plenty of time to refine and troubleshoot what did well and what needed improvement. As for reliability, I haven't even had it for a month. Maybe sometime next year I'll add something new to this thread.

Btw the 2018 will have a much better infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

• Informative
Almost forgot! Charging the Pacifica Hybrid was a bit of a letdown. I have a 240v outlet rated at 50 amps. I use the mobile connector and it charges my S90D a bit faster than most standard Level 2 chargers.

I thought I'd have the same experience with the Pacifica Hybrid, but no. I bought a J1772 mobile charger (40 amp) to charge it and it still takes 2 hours to charge from empty. Ah well.

• Informative
2018-Chrysler-Pacifica-S-103-1-626x383.jpg

But when a lot of these reviews boast that it's a complete redesign, I can only roll my eyes. The layout is very similar to the previous generation Dodge Caravan/VW Routan/Chrysler Town & Country. Yes, all those things are essentially the same except for certain materials and trim.
It's a complete redesign. They have reused some items like the Pentastar V6 (retuned with Atkinson cycle) and some corporate switchgear, but it's a new platform for the minivans, not related to the previous generation.

The Compact US Wide platform was adapted from a Fiat design, which obviously wasn't in the picture when the previous gen launched in 2007.

Anyway, mine's on order and due to arrive in mid-November.

Almost forgot! Charging the Pacifica Hybrid was a bit of a letdown. I have a 240v outlet rated at 50 amps. I use the mobile connector and it charges my S90D a bit faster than most standard Level 2 chargers.

I thought I'd have the same experience with the Pacifica Hybrid, but no. I bought a J1772 mobile charger (40 amp) to charge it and it still takes 2 hours to charge from empty. Ah well.

There are many Volt owners who'd love 6.6kW charging.

• Informative
Any reviews from owners? The 33mpg and 33-mile range are getting my attention (3rd highest PHEV) and our Sienna is falling apart.
I'm still sticking to what I said back in September. If your kids are still small or you haul way too much stuff on a daily basis, the minivan is probably the most logical choice.

Other cars we considered were the Volvo V90 hybrid and Model X. Wife didn't like the looks of the Volvo and didn't want both cars completely electrified. The Pacifica's sliding doors were her biggest selling point, whereas I wanted something with greater safety features.

I'm not great enough of a writer to give a full review, but I think Alex on Autos has two great videos up on YouTube.

Reactions: CHGolferJim
He is wrong customers don't understand what a hybrid is because almost everybody I meet thinks and calls the Prius an electric car, which it is not! A Prius is a gas car "unless it is a plug-in Prius" which would make it a PHEV.