Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Which sub-$40k 200+ mile BEV will come out first?

Which sub-$40k 200 mile BEV will come out first?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand anyone answering the poll with the Leaf 2. It almost definitely won't get 200 miles of EPA range - it will likely have around 150 miles of EPA range (48kWh). Just that alone will remove it from consideration.

Then, we have not seen anything that confirms 200 mile EPA range of the Bolt. It is unlikely it has the necessary 60+ kWh of battery size to get that body shape through the wind for 200 miles of EPA range. It will probably have more aerodynamic drag than a Model S 60 kWh, which gets 208 miles of EPA range. Unless you think GM is going to build the Bolt with CFRP or all carbon fiber and still manage to hit < $40k.

I answered LEAF 2 because the title said 200 mile BEV which I thought just meant "long range BEV."

It did not say 200 EPA miles.

And Model 3 will absolutely positively without any doubt hit 200 EPA miles with a base price under $40k.

Last edited:
I don't understand anyone answering the poll with the Leaf 2. It almost definitely won't get 200 miles of EPA range - it will likely have around 150 miles of EPA range (48kWh). Just that alone will remove it from consideration.
The poll doesn't say 200 miles EPA, it just says 200 miles. That's why I interpreted it as "200-ish miles". Remember that Nissan called the Leaf a "100 mile" EV when it gets 84 miles EPA.

The poll doesn't say 200 miles EPA, it just says 200 miles. That's why I interpreted it as "200-ish miles". Remember that Nissan called the Leaf a "100 mile" EV when it gets 84 miles EPA.

+1
The same here. I said "about 200 miles of range". EPA is a different story, but could end up somewhere between 150 and 180 EPA miles. Nissan + LG will be first to deliver that kind of BEV. But again, the Leaf is a compact sized car à la Golf or Civic. This is not a BMW 3 series nor Mercedes C-Class which is the category the Model 3 will fall into. So, that is a pretty much different story to have a mid-sized sedan with 200 miles of range and a sub 40k$ price point. I think, we should keep that in mind.

Ah you guys didn't read the details in the first post: I clarified it as 200 miles rated by the EPA at time of sale (meaning if they change their methodology next year it would be according to the new methodology)

But great points and I agree with you. Nissan will prob come out first with a 150 mile range car