Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How do you feel about Grill-less front end styling?

How do you feel about current Model 3 Front Grill?

• It's fine, don't change it.

Votes: 243 70.4%
  • It's tolerable (I would still buy), but prefer change

Votes: 89 25.8%
  • It's intolerable, if it doesn't change, I would not buy a Model 3

Votes: 13 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is human nature to not like change and to actual fear change.

When companies bring out a substantially new prototype, especially years ahead of debut, it is in part to acclimate people to change.

Exactly. The idea that you get used to it but still prefer the old style is generally only a stage. On the contrary, in a couple years the old oval nose cones will look very outdated. Obviously there will still be people who prefer them. There are people out there who still prefer 80's cars, but for myself I look back at cars I drooled over in the '80s or '90s and can hardly believe it. I think this will be the same.

What would really annoy me is having to put a license plate on the front. Ruining the looks and messing a bit with aerodynamics. To Bad you couldn't get some kind of removable decal instead of the plate.

Or possibly Tesla could make a clear fronted compartment to put the license plate inside. Keep the aerodynamics, even with the pesky front plate.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: JRP3
To me this is not an issue of being “grill-less” but rather one of aesthetics, actually a gross lack there-of (and perhaps even compromised aerodynamics). In fact there is a grill in the sense that there is a below-the-bumper opening to admit cooling air for the battery coolant system and air-conditioner. Going without a grill opens up plenty of aerodynamic and styling improvement opportunities which I welcome and which I am sure will eventually render some very attractive front ends, but this new “corporate front end” from Tesla is not one of them. It isn’t now and I don’t think it ever will be even with the mellowing effects of time and familiarity.

As much as I hate this front end I will still buy a Tesla when I can afford one, but it will certainly be in spite of the “duck nose”. All the other attributes will always tilt the decision in favour of Tesla. Too bad the poll doesn’t give the option “hate it but will still buy because everything else is too good to miss”.

The M3 is way past the need for a pacifier grille opening. My only concern is with the awkward unfinished nose design. EM says they are tweaking as we speak and that's good enough for me (for now). I like the covered recessed license plate aspect and that may make the design better all by itself.

I think its pretty clear that now the Model S has gone this way we will not be suddenly going back to a fake grill.
With the benefit of hindsight it obvious that the Model 3 was deliberately that way to deflect speculation about the Model S revamp.
Equally likely is the Model 3 ending up much more like the others but an updated version

I believe that the production car will have the model X and soon to be revealed Model S front end.
This is the most likely change to happen to the front end. With the X and now the X, Tesla is establishing their signature front end in the same way the BMW has their kidney grill. It's the new (and foreseeable) design language for their vehicles.

Number one, I don’t like the new nose, two - Tesla has a lot of technology (new). How about having TM just fix some of what is wrong, (1) seat belts (2) sun visor (3) front carpets (4) valet mode (speed no grater than 30 MPH range 5 miles.