Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Aero covers - will you use them?

Do you plan to use the M3 aero covers?

• Always

Votes: 107 37.5%
  • Only on long trips

Votes: 92 32.3%
  • While I'll be getting 18" wheels, I never plan to use the covers.

Votes: 23 8.1%
  • I won't be getting 18" wheels.

Votes: 31 10.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 32 11.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I voted always... but am seriously tempted to replace the stock 18 inch wheels after purchase or powder coat the covers. I really don't like the grey look they have, it looks dirty to me. That said, I also want the smaller wheels for many reasons and I don't really want to spend more on wheels. The burdens of fashion...

Reactions: Bokonon
I would take them on and off regularly (2nd choice) but with one stipulation. It would be dependent on how they attach. If they are too hard to take on and off, and/or if taking them on and off causes excessive wear and tear, then I would probably just leave them on all the time.

It depends on how much of a PITA they are to remove/re-install. If they pop off relatively easily with no damage to the wheels, then I'll probably keep them off except for longer road trips. If it's a major production to take them off, then I'll probably just leave them on. Aesthetically, I prefer the look of the "naked" 18" wheels, but I don't hate the aero covers so much that I'm going to majorly inconvenience myself to remove them.

Without the cheap plastic aero covers your max range is less than 200 miles according vp of engineering (article on Electrek). For me this makes the base model range really disappointing without those covers. If these covers are so important they should of made them with higher grade materials like carbon fibre in the middle or something because they do look soo cheap and completely out of place on a prestige car.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: transpondster
Without the plastic aero covers your max range is less than 200 miles according vp of engineering (article on Electrek). For me this makes the base model range really disappointing without those covers. If these covers are so important they should of made them with higher grade materials like carbon fibre or something because they do look cheap and out of place on a prestige car.

On the Electrek article, the VP is quoted as follows: "He said that he went with Aero since he wants more mileage and said the gain is ~10%."

Here's the thing. There could be a light misunderstanding there (or not, but throwing this out there as a maybe). Based on what is written, it is not entirely clear if the 10% is ONLY due to the aerodymics of the covers, or if it was a combination of factors between the 18" and 19" setup of which the aero covers were only one factor.

On the Electrek article, the VP is quoted as follows: "He said that he went with Aero since he wants more mileage and said the gain is ~10%."

Here's the thing. There could be a light misunderstanding there (or not, but throwing this out there as a maybe). Based on what is written, it is not entirely clear if the 10% is ONLY due to the aerodymics of the covers, or if it was a combination of factors between the 18" and 19" setup of which the aero covers were only one factor.

Plus we don't know that he was talking about EPA range (and in my opinion he almost certainly wasn't). He could have been referring to Highway range (which could easily be greater than the 220 to begin with). Also, since Tesla just says 220 on their website regardless of what you order, how do you know that isn't with the 19" wheels and the aero wheels give you more range?

Basically it's reading a whole lot into an offhand comment at a supercharger, VP of engineering or not.

Reactions: Stirfelt
Function over form!

However, after driving a Prius Gen 3 for 7 years, and having always thought it was very ugly, I'm lucky to be getting a such an awesome looking car as the Model 3. Bonus for me is that I actually think the Aeros look good, and double bonus that they're removable if I change my mind. I think all the chrome is much harder on the eyes than the aero wheels, but I probably won't do anything about that either.

I just can't wait for cars without wheels at all though!

From what I've seen so far, the underneath wheels look like 100% to me. I voted for only on long trips, but if it's not significant I may not bother. I want 18" for the following reasons :
  1. Softer/more compliant ride with 18" vs 19"
  2. Save $1,500
  3. Option to use aero if worth it
  4. 3rd party cover offerings might be cool, who knows
  5. Cheaper to replace tires
Don't forget if it's really 10% more efficient then that means it will cost 10% less to run (for electricity).

Don't forget if it's really 10% more efficient then that means it will cost 10% less to run (for electricity).

Efficiency isn't just about cost, either. It means greater range. It means faster charging (range-per-unit-time). It means shallower discharge cycles in your daily life, and thus greater battery longevity. It has a lot of knock-on effects.

Last edited: