Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tesla is 'on top' because they were first (in their class); but quite a few are coming along and soon tesla will have real competition. until then, its their game, but this won't always be true. I'm thinking 5 years and less (likely much less) and we'll see some real other vendor choices.
tesla makes some good products and has some good ideas, but they are not really all that special. they had a good vision and an early head start but they are not lean anymore; and the small startups -are- lean. they are catching up, quickly.

We have been hearing that about Tesla all along. That the "big guys" could jump in whenever they wanted and take over the high end EV market.
But they never seem to be able to pull it off.
Jaguar i-Pace, and Porsche Taycan come close I think, but still Tesla seems more compelling for most people.
Tesla isn't standing still.

One advantage for Tesla is that they are 100% committed to their product lines.
The old infernal combustion engine companies have internal in-fighting from the departments that do liquid fueled vehicles and don't want to change the status quo.

Last edited:
big guys are slow, by nature.

its the new ones, the 'new teslas' that are all cooking, right now. some in total stealth mode, some with real hardware that is being developed.

lets be honest, tesla is still level-2 and its going to be that way for a long time to come.

its not the hardest thing in the world to do what tesla is doing now, and that's why there are so many startups around here, all working on the same kinds of things. people (employees) move around and the science gets developed further (all good things).

if tesla had level 5, I'd agree they were on top and going to stay on top for years; but they are really not even close to level-4, and the ones you don't hear about are closing in.

tesla has a head start; but otoh, newcomers don't have to repeat (and retain) teslas older ideas; they can jump right to the results that everyone has learned over the last decade or so.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
big guys are slow, by nature.
its the new ones, the 'new teslas' that are all cooking, right now. some in total stealth mode, some with real hardware that is being developed.
lets be honest, tesla is still level-2 and its going to be that way for a long time to come.
its not the hardest thing in the world to do what tesla is doing now, and that's why there are so many startups around here, all working on the same kinds of things. people (employees) move around and the science gets developed further (all good things).
if tesla had level 5, I'd agree they were on top and going to stay on top for years; but they are really not even close to level-4, and the ones you don't hear about are closing in.
tesla has a head start; but otoh, newcomers don't have to repeat (and retain) teslas older ideas; they can jump right to the results that everyone has learned over the last decade or so.

Well if you are talking about the newcomers like Lucid & Faraday, which were created by ex-Tesla people trying to copy the business model and outdo them... I wish them luck and hope they are successful, but I think you underestimate all the obstacles and hurdles that Tesla has jumped through and over to get to the top like they have. From building a world class brand, to creating a global fast charging network, to getting people to open up their pocket books. There is a lot to get right to be a success. As has been stated many times, auto manufacturing is not an easy business to keep viable.

Personally, I think they could end up being niche players struggling to make a profit, but getting to the big leagues as a mainstream vehicle provider will take a lot lot more.

Reactions: Krugerrand
Not saying I agree, but saw this:

Donald J. Trump on Twitter
Trumpette.jpg

Last edited:
Well if you are talking about the newcomers like Lucid & Faraday, which were created by ex-Tesla people trying to copy the business model and outdo them...

I've worked with people from faraday (that place is totally dead, last I heard; has anything changed in the last, say, 6mos or so?) and some of my friends left to go to lucid. lucid looks interesting, I'll say that. they are not vaporware; but I have not seen their product, myself.

there are a lot in this area. I just don't give tesla that much of an edge, when the population has been changing around so much (it really has). tesla does not retain people all that long; its known in the industry. then again, no one retains anyone for all that long in the bay area (uhm, lol?)

When it comes to being unhealthy, both are in agreement:

Trump: "Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. We have 12 cases — 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape now."

Musk: "Based on current trends, probably close to zero new cases in US too by end of April"

Not a lie. I’m a republican and I bought 3 teslas so far.

Dude, there are no “real” Republicans in Northern California. Unless you live in like Modoc county or Sierra gold country like I do. You know, ‘Murcia.

Marin county white people looking for tax relief don’t count. ;)

(please don’t take this post too seriously)

Trump: "Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. We have 12 cases — 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape now."
Nauseating.

I mean, The Dutch/Swedish model of 'herd immunity' is the right way I think. I hardly 'social' distance and don't wear a mask unless required. But Trump only acts out of pure politics, everything through that one lens.

Politics has no use for facts. Science has no use for politics.

• Disagree
Reactions: X-pilot and msm859
Status
Not open for further replies.