Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid X Vibration at beginning of each drive: Who is experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a thought.. Initially in this thread it was suspected that the startup vibration would be some calibration of the rear motors, because it only happens in Plaid. Then this was debunked as most people feel the vibration is coming from the front, not rear.

Perhaps it's running regen on front, to be able to run high power at rear without car accelerating? "Running against brakes" to test the rear motors. It kind of feels that way, like the car is resisting somehow, fighting itself..

Has anyone looked at ScanMyTesla what the motors are doing when it vibrates? I haven't, but I'll try later.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tiger
Perhaps it's running regen on front, to be able to run high power at rear without car accelerating? "Running against brakes" to test the rear motors. It kind of feels that way, like the car is resisting somehow, fighting itself..

You can test that theory by driving on slippery surface. If you don't have real ice, go to a driving school slippery training track, or similar.

My guess is they can power the motor forward and reverse without actually affecting the wheels.

But this would not explain why coollant change affects it.

Anyways, would be interesting if Tesla came up with detailed nerdy explanation of it, just for the kickers, even if they haven't yet solved it.

Since it's felt in the accelerator pedal and not the brake pedal, I guess some sort of ABS calibration is unlikely. I'm betting there's some pump that does something at startup if it's been more than a certain amount of time that just happens to be just behind the accelerator pedal.

In documentation (service manual?), for the heat pump system, there is information of running something in a "lossy manner" to generate heat. Is there any chance this is done on a PLAID during the first part of the run cycle to generate more heat so the motors and/or battery are also heated; required by the PLAID? And then the vibration we feel is whatever this lossy manner is?

In documentation (service manual?), for the heat pump system, there is information of running something in a "lossy manner" to generate heat. Is there any chance this is done on a PLAID during the first part of the run cycle to generate more heat so the motors and/or battery are also heated; required by the PLAID? And then the vibration we feel is whatever this lossy manner is?
If this were tha case, it would have affected pre-2022 models, too, surely? But it didn’t and continues to not.

Vibration is in entire front section including brakes and accelerator. I have it too on my 3 month old X Plaid.. would be nice to see if Model S fellas have this issue. I initially thought it was from the heat pump but could be anything.

Interesting. Next time it happens to me and I feel it in the accelerator, I'll put my other foot on the brake lightly and see if I still feel it.

I'd say there's a very good chance of that.

Well, 2013 was RWD, no issues there. Maybe it was a different guy who designed the front...

Also I don't really think we are talking about the current problems in the twitter post. They mean full throttle oscillations. That has always been fine

If this were tha case, it would have affected pre-2022 models, too, surely? But it didn’t and continues to not.

I'm not sure in what year the heat pump changed. I have a 21 MSP and a 23 MXP. The "first 5 minutes" vibration does only happen on my 23 MXP. Both cars have the "lets f'in go" vibration. I believe, and pretty sure it's established, that they are 2 separate items. I'm still on team halfshafts for the latter. We need someone willing to put one on a dyno or even a scissor/frame lift and operate it and see if the source can be isolated from underneath.