Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid X Vibration at beginning of each drive: Who is experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the exact same experience. Goes away in about a mile and does not return during the drive. Does not seem to be related to suspension height. And I agree I feel it in the pedal and the steering column as well.
You know there was a long standing reason why Tesla put off using all permanent magnet motors. It has something to do with pulsing issues at low speeds. The older motors did not have this complexity. I assumed they solved it. Sorry don’t have time to look up the exact details. Can’t help wonder if some these issues are side effects of having all permanent magnet motors.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
Service said this is the pumps heating up components of the vehicle and is normal when I had it serviced .. still annoying
“Normal,” the standard “go to”….

184D665E-8AC7-4FD1-8161-B3D2EF33603F.jpeg

Same exactly problem on my model x plaid I just picked up March 30. Seems like it's between 32-42mph on the first drive. Goes aways after about a mile or so. Got a service appointment for April 20th to ask them about it.
Don’t waste your time they’ll hold your vehicle for a few days just to say it’s normal.. all plaids do it

Since this appears to be plaid only for the folks having this issue, I suspect that it's a rear dual drive unit torque calibration between the left and right drive units. Folks not experiencing it either are but just don't notice or some units are repeating the calibration upon driving after x amount of time parked.

Reactions: blodg1
Service said this is the pumps heating up components of the vehicle and is normal when I had it serviced .. still annoying
Be nice if folks could state if they have plaid or not. My Refresh 2.0 does not exhibit either issue, yet. I have been babying it though. Chill, Low and Zero launches. I’m in the northeast too.

LR
March 2022 build (refresh 2.0)
Chill
Low
No launches
19” summer tires (42 psi)
No 1st mile vibration
No 40-50 mph light load vibration
Northeast Temps still freezing overnight.
500 miles

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Be nice if folks could state if they have plaid or not. My Refresh 2.0 does not exhibit either issue, yet. I have been babying it though. Chill, Low and Zero launches. I’m in the northeast too.

LR
March 2022 build (refresh 2.0)
Chill
Low
No launches
19” summer tires (42 psi)
No 1st mile vibration
No 40-50 light load vibration
Northeast Temps still freezing overnight.
500 miles

It's a Plaid only thread so presumably folks stating their vibration status only have Plaids?

It's a Plaid only thread so presumably folks stating their vibration status only have Plaids?
Sorry. There is so many threads on the topic. I didn’t even know it was the X either.

Still I suggest gathering more stats.

Folks with Model S have complained about the first mile issue as well. Not sure if it’s Plaid only though.

I've determined that a bunch of Plaid X owners are experiencing some sort of vibration that you can feel in the pedal during the first few mins of every drive. I don't know if any Refresh LR owners are experiencing this but if so please reply. The vibration usually lasts for a few mins or miles then seems to go away but if I stop at a store or something then get back in a start driving again, the vibration occurs again for the first few mins then goes away.

It's been happening to mine since day 1 and thought it had something to do with the suspension or just overall "warming up" of the motors but its been a few weeks since I took delivery and it hasn't gone away. I currently have 600 miles on my car.

I have mobile service coming on next week to check it out so I will report back with what they find.

Please reply below if you are experiencing this and be sure to note Plaid or LR and how many miles are currently on your car.

Hopefully it doesn't become an issue but would like to gauge how many owners are currently experiencing this. Thanks
I have a 22 s plaid same thing is happening

Reactions: jebinc
I doubt it, but i wonder if this is the air compressor running.??

So I experience a vibration yesterday morning that last about 2 minutes after I started out. It was accompanied by what sounded like the air compressor for the suspension. Medium loud but I could feel the vibration frequency in the steering wheel. Didn't matter if I was stopped or not. It went away after a few minutes. Didn't experience the same thing this morning.